Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Re: Roku reboots randomly with Hulu Live TV

Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:32 pm

You guys experiencing this issue need to post your Roku Model Numbers and current firmware version and build number.  I've been binging series' on Hulu recently, and haven't noticed any hiccups.

For diagnostics sake, delete the channel, REBOOT THE ROKU (do not skip this step), and re-add the channel.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

bstewart5050

Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:12 pm

I have taken all steps including channel delete and re-add and shared all info you request with Roku support. Will post here in next few days when I have time to find it all AGAIN. Despite my tone, appreciate that you're trying to resolve.

bstewart5050

Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:15 pm

And it does not happen during bing watching content... only during Live streaming. And it works on all my other devices except Roku, as previously posted.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:18 pm

bstewart5050 wrote:
And it does not happen during bing watching content... only during Live streaming. And it works on all my other devices except Roku, as previously posted.

I'll check with CS/Social/Engineering tomorrow morning, and get back to you.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

Chalmer1984

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:59 pm

Has anyone had any luck with the Hulu live TV and Roku issue? I just started my Hulu Live subscription and get kicked off every 10 minutes when my Roku restarts.

Oldsurfer

Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:53 pm

I am having the same issue. Watching the FSU vs Wake Forest football game on Hulu Live. Roku 3 is connected to router via cable and the Roku has crashed twice already while watching the game. I have AT&T internet service at the highest speed and only have this problem while watching live sports broadcasts. Never happens with live news or other live broadcasts. It has happened before during live football games. Seems to be completely random. No problems until the 4th quarter and now it has happened twice. Goes back to Roku screen.

DMUK

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:07 pm

Has anyone else noticed anything on the latest Ultra 4660X running 8.1.0 / 4145-46 where live channels sort of stutter every now and again and sometimes the audio drops out and comes back 10 seconds later and tries to catch up with the video?

Only noticed issues with Hulu and Live TV so far.

Dsauce24

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:37 pm

This is definitely a ROKU issue, not a Hulu issue. I have a Roku and a firestick. Roku restarted several times while watching Hulu Live (sports)... switched to the firestick, ZERO problems.

atc98092

Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:03 pm

Dsauce24 wrote:
This is definitely a ROKU issue, not a Hulu issue. I have a Roku and a firestick. Roku restarted several times while watching Hulu Live (sports)... switched to the firestick, ZERO problems.

The app on the Fire Stick is not the same as the Roku app. Working on one has nothing to do with the other. Hulu is the company responsible for the app, not Roku. Sure, it's possible that the Roku firmware broke something in the Hulu app, but it's Hulu's responsibility to fix it, not Roku. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Chaz95

Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:18 pm

I have this exact same issue. However my Roku only reboots when playing ESPN. No other channel seems to have an issue and no other ESPN channel has an issue. SEC network is fine, but the main ESPN crashes every 5-10 minutes.

From what I can tell, this is a Hulu-Roku combination issue. Both of them need to get together to fix this. Hulu seems fine everywhere else, and my Roku doesn't have this issue with any other app but Hulu.

4200X Roku 3
8.1.0 4145-04

Bonniez

Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:38 am

I was having trouble with this and had called Hulu several times.  They had no answers and said they had not heard of this happening to anyone else.  I decided to go online and order a an Amazon Fire Stick and it works great with Hulu LIve!  Hulu and Roku need to get on the same page!!!!

SuperflY851

Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:04 pm

I have been having the same problem with Hulu Live TV.  Keeps buffering or communication error.  I am using a RokuPremiere+ with a model number: 4630X
Sometimes it works good, sometimes it fails.  If i reboot the unit it helps but i have to reboot it almost every day.  Last sunday i tried to watch a live NFL game and it kept buffering every 5 mins or so no matter what it did, but other live channels were working just fine.  Another problem is that the audio will go way out of sink with the video.  

Oddly enough, my older roku device works much better with live tv.  I have 100 Mbps internet with a brand new Netgear wifi router. 

basaindon

Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:29 am

We are experiencing the same problem. Only happens with Live TV on Hulu. It is not consistent. Sometimes it will work. Other times, it reboots every 5 minutes or so. Clearly a widespread compatibility concern.

Chaz95

Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:57 pm

Update after this weekend. 

Its NOT just ESPN. That's the only channel I had experienced it on prior to this past weekend. Also happened on ESPN2. It also happened on our TCL Roku TV and not just the Express/Roku3 boxes. 

It seems to me that this maybe some sort of buffering issue. If you pause the stream for 'x' amount of time it will be much better. Its not 100% though because it will still crash sometimes. I had thought for sure after this weekend that it was now definitely a Roku issue because we streamed Hulu from our iPad to a Chromecast and had no crashes or anything. However, its possible this is still Hulu and is a problem specifically with their Roku app. 

I think it would be in Roku and Hulu's best interest to get together and fix this because my inclination is to buy a FireStick or AppleTV and go with YoutubeTV. I'm sure I'm not alone. 

Brigadier

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:43 pm

Yes, I have the same issue with Hulu Live and Roku. Hulu Live works on my tablet and phone over wifi, but not with the Roku 3 hard wired to the router. Hulu Live and my FireTV Stick work perfectly.

Fix it guys. Get together and fix it.