Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

sarahgrace

Re: Roku reboots randomly with Hulu Live TV

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:23 am

My Roku reboots mainly on certain Hulu channels like HGTV and Food Network. I don't know anything about AZ firestick but I'm willing to try. Do you that have switched find a big positive difference in the quality and lack of buffering/reboot problems with Hulu?

Thomlch

Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:36 pm

Happening ro me right now. Hulu Live on a streaming stick. Can't watch more than 5 minutes of UVa Pitt game. Freaking ridiculous.

brou1987

Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:19 am

Same crashing issues happening to me on Hulu live on my roku express (model 3700X with software 8.1.0).  The issues arise when watching sports channels - ESPN, espn2, fox sports.  I can only watch 10 min or so at a time before roku crashes and restarts.  This does not happen on channels my wife watches like E or Bravo. In addition, the live guide is unacceptably slow - it often takes 10 seconds or more for a button push to respond on screen. Also navigating the live guide too fast causes the roku to crash and restart as well.  The main screen of the Hulu app works fine, it’s just the live guide.  None of this occurs when watching Hulu live on my iPad, iPhone or MacBook.  The roku worked just fine with slingtv before I switched to Hulu live

I’m convinced this is a roku specific issue with the Hulu live interface.  I’ve had 4 chat sessions with Hulu where I’ve uninstalled/reinstalled, reset roku to factory settings, attempted to change the mbs rate, etc and none of this has worked (did get one month free from Hulu for my trouble).  I’m about to order an amazon fire stick to see if that works any better because Hulu live is unwatchable for sports at the moment on my roku

Thomlch

Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:13 am

Same, it's always and only live football for me so far. It's like it can't handle the refresh rates or something.

Jennyfur

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:32 pm

Trying to watch ESPN live and having the same issue, which brought me here. It's extremely frustrating.

Wonder what kind of deal Hulu has with Amazon, seems to be working to increase their sales. I'm about to have to buy one too.

Roku need to collaborate with Hulu to get this fixed.

dmcauley46

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:06 pm

I am having the same problem with ESPN on HULU via Roku. Rocky reboots every few minutes during Monday Night Football tonight. Did it on Saturday watching college ball on ESPN.
It is not a Hulu problem. We use Hulu via Amazon Firestick on our other TVs. Gave up and went to a Firestck TV. No problems at all and no reboots on Monday Night Football.

Thomlch

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:17 pm

Just watched an entire hockey game on another station. Switch to ESPN and within 2 minutes reboot.

This is obviously a bug, not isolated at all. Fix it.

hitsfrmdast

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:35 pm

Have Roku, Firestick, and apple TV 3rd gen. Hulu is fine on firestick and of course no live TV for 3rd gen for Hulu. But absolutely no issue when I stream hulu on firestick, cell, or computer. Issues must be a roku issue as I'm using the same Wi-Fi for the rest of the devices with no problem. I've also gone through all the steps to correct as mentioned and no avail. Come on Roku give us the fix already. I can understand if it's a popular program and it's being streamed by so many users, like website not fit to handle loads of people accessing at the same time....... Possibly....... But if that's it just inform us so we can purchase firesticks lol

atc98092

Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:16 am

I understand all your frustration, but you aren't understanding something. Roku does not create and maintain the channels (with a couple of exceptions). You need to contact the channel provider (such as ESPN) about their channel. Just because it works correctly on one platform (such as a Fire Stick) means nothing on a different platform. They all run on different hardware and operating systems. They don't make one channel (app) that they just push to all platforms. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Thomlch

Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:38 pm

I understand that but if I am Roku and it works on a competitive product I would be all over spearheading getting it fixed.

phatboyslim2014

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:09 am

Hey, long time roku user. I have had hulu live for 2 months and i have 2 roku tvs and a roku express "i think its a 3600"

Both roku tvs work great with hulu live, my express ran for 5 mins before rebooting, after reinstalling hulu it lasted about 10 to 15 mins. Probably a cache management issue causing the roku to lock up and restart.

deestough

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Same thing except for us it's the Live DIY channel (all my husband watches).   It worked ok during the free trial then as soon as we started paying for the Live service it started kicking back and rebooting Roku after a few minutes over and over.  I have tried the solution provided in page 1 by Basil and so far so good for the past 10-15 minutes.  Finger's crossed that was the solution.  We did call and husband yelled at the Hulu person,  They finally said for our problems they would comp us 1 month's fee.

Device Roku Streaming Stick 3600X
8.1.0 Build-4145-24
Hulu version 6.11 build 2

deestough

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:18 pm

Well after my last post above and doing the removal and reset which was advised on page 1, I gave it a test.  Hulu ran for quite some time on a different channel.  Then I tried DIY channel and it would run for about 9 minutes the drop back and actually restart my roku every time.  This happened over and over again on the DIY Live channel, till I finally managed to change to another live channel, then it would stay connected.  I put on the FX channel and that has been playing solidly for over 20 mins now with no glitches.  After my last reset it was difficult to change live channels as the system was very laggy and not responding to me.

DBDukes

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:55 am

deestough wrote:
Well after my last post above and doing the removal and reset which was advised on page 1, I gave it a test.  Hulu ran for quite some time on a different channel.  Then I tried DIY channel and it would run for about 9 minutes the drop back and actually restart my roku every time.  This happened over and over again on the DIY Live channel, till I finally managed to change to another live channel, then it would stay connected.  I put on the FX channel and that has been playing solidly for over 20 mins now with no glitches.  After my last reset it was difficult to change live channels as the system was very laggy and not responding to me.

Is your Roku lagging or responding poorly on other apps? A reboot of the Roku might be in order.

Next, if the reboot behavior is limited to select channels within the Hulu With Live TV app, it might be worth looking at when it happens. A lot of live content contains commercial breaks. Is it happening at or during commercial breaks? If so, then something about the ads they're feeding could be the issue. Commercials often come from different sources than standard programming content, so if there's something screwy going on at the source, that could be causing the reboots. This has been reported on other non-live apps, and might be what's going on with you. Just something to look into regarding when it's happening.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

jeakmc

Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:33 am

Same problem with Roku and Directv Now