Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
jlw78
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:49 pm

Re: Roku reboots randomly with Hulu Live TV

Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:55 pm

Earlier today, Netflix kicked me out when I tried to stream the Grinch.  I turned Pandora on and had no problems streaming music.  We've been watching Hulu live all night and I've lost track of how many times it has rebooted.  Specifically watching travel channel (Ghost adventures).  We have unplugged from the power source; changed the HDMI cord, and reset the Roku.  Netflix is running fine now.  Hulu LIVE is still causing the Roku to reboot every 5 minutes (if we're lucky enough to get 5 minutes).  For fun, we have Hulu Live pulled up on the mobile app on the phone and it's working with no problem. What gives Roku???
 
User avatar
DBDukes
Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:57 pm
Location: Southeast Georgia
Contact:

Re: Roku reboots randomly with Hulu Live TV

Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:07 am

jlw78 wrote:
Earlier today, Netflix kicked me out when I tried to stream the Grinch.  I turned Pandora on and had no problems streaming music.  We've been watching Hulu live all night and I've lost track of how many times it has rebooted.  Specifically watching travel channel (Ghost adventures).  We have unplugged from the power source; changed the HDMI cord, and reset the Roku.  Netflix is running fine now.  Hulu LIVE is still causing the Roku to reboot every 5 minutes (if we're lucky enough to get 5 minutes).  For fun, we have Hulu Live pulled up on the mobile app on the phone and it's working with no problem. What gives Roku???

If you read the whole thread, you'd have picked up that Hulu Live uses different streams for different devices, meaning a test of Hulu Live on one device isn't a valid test of Hulu Live on another device.

You would have also read that some commercials will cause issues because those are different feeds from the main content. You don't seem to have addressed that; that is, saying it did NOT happen at a commercial break.

I'm gonna use the term "reboot" rather than "reset," as some other users that may be reading might think "reset = factory reset" when it doesn't. So, after a reboot, and before using Hulu Live, do you have issues with Netflix or other apps. The thinking is that whatever is going on with Hulu Live might be having a residual effect on the device overall, appearing to affect other apps.

Your other troubleshooting steps appear to be good and complete. Try to keep these other things mentioned in mind, and see if anything else makes itself known.

Apart from that, some individual channels/apps allow for live streaming. You can use Hulu With Live TV to authenticate them and watch live content that way, for those that support it. Until Hulu fixes whatever is wrong with their app or their streams to Roku, that might be a workaround.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)
 
dmcauley46
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:49 pm

Re: Roku reboots randomly with Hulu Live TV

Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:31 pm

My TCL Brand TV Roku reboots when watching sports on ESPN through HULU. Never anything else. Never a problem on three other TVs using 1st generation Amazon Firesticks. Purchased another Firestick in Amazon's Black Friday sale and installed on the TCL TV. No more problems---a lot cheaper than buying another TV.
 
jboydk
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:06 pm

Re: Roku reboots randomly with Hulu Live TV

Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:09 pm

Same thing is happening to me, and literally just started about an hour ago. I had been using Hulu Live TV for a good week with no issues, and about an hour ago I was watching ESPN2 and my TV just started restarting. I'm trying different channels to see if it makes any difference, but it's ridiculous no one seems to understand what the problem is. 
 
User avatar
DBDukes
Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:57 pm
Location: Southeast Georgia
Contact:

Re: Roku reboots randomly with Hulu Live TV

Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:14 pm

jboydk wrote:
Same thing is happening to me, and literally just started about an hour ago. I had been using Hulu Live TV for a good week with no issues, and about an hour ago I was watching ESPN2 and my TV just started restarting. I'm trying different channels to see if it makes any difference, but it's ridiculous no one seems to understand what the problem is. 

Does it happen at commercial breaks?
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)
 
jboydk
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:06 pm

Re: Roku reboots randomly with Hulu Live TV

Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:49 pm

DBDukes wrote:
jboydk wrote:
Same thing is happening to me, and literally just started about an hour ago. I had been using Hulu Live TV for a good week with no issues, and about an hour ago I was watching ESPN2 and my TV just started restarting. I'm trying different channels to see if it makes any difference, but it's ridiculous no one seems to understand what the problem is. 

Does it happen at commercial breaks?

Sometimes, but at least once it seemed to cut out in the middle of the action. It happened with ESPN and ESPN2, but not when I had it on ABC watching the Notre Dame/USC game. 
 
jboydk
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:06 pm

Re: Roku reboots randomly with Hulu Live TV

Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:48 pm

So an update, I was able to watch ABC, CBS Sports Network, FS1, Fox, and even ESPNU all without it rebooting. So far only ESPN and ESPN2 have caused any issues and I think it's almost always been when it went to commercials. 
 
DavidRosso
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Roku reboots randomly with Hulu Live TV

Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:36 pm

I'm having the same issue with Hulu LiveTV rebooting my device. I ruled out a problem 
with my device or tv by swapping devices. I have three tv's, two using a streaming stick 
and one using a express. Both streaming sticks are definitely having this problem. 
I'm watching the tv with the express right now and so far it doesn't seem to be happening.  

No issues on laptop, tablet or phone.
David J. Rosso
 
DavidRosso
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Roku reboots randomly with Hulu Live TV

Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:12 pm

DavidRosso wrote:
I'm having the same issue with Hulu LiveTV rebooting my device. I ruled out a problem 
with my device or tv by swapping devices. I have three tv's, two using a streaming stick 
and one using a express. Both streaming sticks are definitely having this problem. 
I'm watching the tv with the express right now and so far it doesn't seem to be happening.  

No issues on laptop, tablet or phone.

So I had a thought, since my Express seemed to be working okay, and it runs on my 2g wireless, while my two streaming sticks both run on my 5g, I tried switching the living room stick to the 2g signal and so far it seems to be working okay now, no reboots. Will continue to experiment.
David J. Rosso
 
DavidRosso
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Roku reboots randomly with Hulu Live TV

Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:15 pm

DavidRosso wrote:
DavidRosso wrote:
I'm having the same issue with Hulu LiveTV rebooting my device. I ruled out a problem 
with my device or tv by swapping devices. I have three tv's, two using a streaming stick 
and one using a express. Both streaming sticks are definitely having this problem. 
I'm watching the tv with the express right now and so far it doesn't seem to be happening.  

No issues on laptop, tablet or phone.

So I had a thought, since my Express seemed to be working okay, and it runs on my 2g wireless, while my two streaming sticks both run on my 5g, I tried switching the living room stick to the 2g signal and so far it seems to be working okay now, no reboots. Will continue to experiment.

Minutes after posting that, it rebooted. So the wireless channel (2g vs 5g) doesn't seem to be it :(
David J. Rosso
 
jboydk
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:06 pm

Re: Roku reboots randomly with Hulu Live TV

Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:59 pm

Another update, I've been watching ESPN2 all day on Hulu on my Sharp Roku TV and it's rebooted my TV about 5 times and it has always been when it went to commercial. I don't know what the problem is but for some reason for me it's when I watch ESPN or ESPN2 and it goes to commercial. 
 
User avatar
DBDukes
Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:57 pm
Location: Southeast Georgia
Contact:

Re: Roku reboots randomly with Hulu Live TV

Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:03 pm

DavidRosso wrote:
...
Minutes after posting that, it rebooted. So the wireless channel (2g vs 5g) doesn't seem to be it :(

2G is old cell technology. 5G is newer cell technology. WiFi operates in 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz bands. G is "generation" not GHz.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)
 
DavidRosso
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Roku reboots randomly with Hulu Live TV

Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:30 am

DBDukes wrote:
DavidRosso wrote:
...
Minutes after posting that, it rebooted. So the wireless channel (2g vs 5g) doesn't seem to be it :(

2G is old cell technology. 5G is newer cell technology. WiFi operates in 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz bands. G is "generation" not GHz.

You know what I meant ;)  Also, after reading thru the rest of the thread, I saw a request for our software info, mine is...
Model: 3500X Roku Stick, Software 8.1.0, Build 4131-09
David J. Rosso
 
DavidRosso
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Roku reboots randomly with Hulu Live TV

Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:32 am

jboydk wrote:
Another update, I've been watching ESPN2 all day on Hulu on my Sharp Roku TV and it's rebooted my TV about 5 times and it has always been when it went to commercial. I don't know what the problem is but for some reason for me it's when I watch ESPN or ESPN2 and it goes to commercial. 

Mine is NOT sports related, and doesn't seem to be happening at commercials either. Its happened while watching TBS, FX, FXM, etc.
David J. Rosso
 
User avatar
DBDukes
Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:57 pm
Location: Southeast Georgia
Contact:

Re: Roku reboots randomly with Hulu Live TV

Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:04 am

DavidRosso wrote:
DBDukes wrote:
DavidRosso wrote:
...
Minutes after posting that, it rebooted. So the wireless channel (2g vs 5g) doesn't seem to be it :(

2G is old cell technology. 5G is newer cell technology. WiFi operates in 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz bands. G is "generation" not GHz.

You know what I meant ;)

Yeah, but someone new and inexperienced might be confused by the incorrect usage of the abbreviations.
DavidRosso wrote:
Also, after reading thru the rest of the thread, I saw a request for our software info, mine is...
Model: 3500X Roku Stick, Software 8.1.0, Build 4131-09

That is an older device. I stopped using my model 3500 Stick when the model 3600 Stick came out in 2016.

Having said that, there's no reason for the issue just because it's an older device. And, of course, the fact that it's happening with your Express.

It's not limited to commercial breaks, it happens on older as well as current devices, but it doesn't happen to everyone. This is a stumper.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests