Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jamski
Topic Author

Roku Player Still Streaming YouTube TV When TV is Off?

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:37 pm

Just wondering since YouTubeTV has a 3-stream limit, if I were to shut off my TV while still "streaming" content over the Roku (any model), is the Roku smart enough to eventually realize the TV is off and shut down the YouTube TV app?  Or, will it just continue to stream indefinitely, taking up one of my streams?

ghb51

Re: Roku Player Still Streaming YouTube TV When TV is Off?

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:53 pm

On my Roku 3 and Roku Express I see a message asking if I'm still watching when my tv is turned off while streaming YouTube tv (meaning I see the message when I eventually turn the tv back on). This is from falling asleep in front of the tv at night, so I'm not sure how long it is before the message appears or if YouTube tv has a time limit set where it will eventually exit the app, but either way I assume the streaming is stopped once the message appears.

twiceover

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:55 pm

jamski wrote:
Just wondering since YouTubeTV has a 3-stream limit, if I were to shut off my TV while still "streaming" content over the Roku (any model), is the Roku smart enough to eventually realize the TV is off and shut down the YouTube TV app?  Or, will it just continue to stream indefinitely, taking up one of my streams?

It will continue streaming until either you or the channel provider tells it to stop.  this is what prompted Netflix and others to create a "Are you still watching" splash screen.
Press home before turning off your TV.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:13 pm

twiceover wrote:
Press home before turning off your TV.

This! This! A thousand times this!
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo, Android TV (MiBox)

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

ghb51

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:30 pm

Agreed about pressing Home, but, failing that, doesn't YouTube (and other channels) consider the stream stopped once the "are you still watching" message appears?

Basil

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:41 pm

ghb51 wrote:
Agreed about pressing Home, but, failing that, doesn't YouTube (and other channels) consider the stream stopped once the "are you still watching" message appears?

Yes, however long that is. If you don't hit Home, and you end up going over your monthly data cap, that's on you. As long as you are the one paying the ISP bill, it's only a problem if you care.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo, Android TV (MiBox)

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

stewsucher

Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:04 am

This would be a game changing feature.

2pints

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:25 am

Capped data on standard isp Contracts is something that is extremely rare these days, if you are on a capped data contract, you should move to an alternative ISP ( there's plenty of choice with ISPs/phone providers)
 You should be able to get a basic unlimited ADSL contract ( speeds about 12mb ) for £18/month, Fibre ( speeds about 30mb) for £24/month upto 80mb fibre for £28/month and full fibre ( where/if available) for £40/month
 Stream to your hearts content - data caps/limits are a thing of the past.

jeffrok

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:40 am

2pints wrote:
Capped data on standard isp Contracts is something that is extremely rare these days, if you are on a capped data contract, you should move to an alternative ISP ( there's plenty of choice with ISPs/phone providers)
 You should be able to get a basic unlimited ADSL contract ( speeds about 12mb ) for £18/month, Fibre ( speeds about 30mb) for £24/month upto 80mb fibre for £28/month and full fibre ( where/if available) for £40/month

Maybe in places other than America.. I live in the USA, but in an area where unlimited data is the norm. In other areas, especially less populated areas, they don't have that luxury.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

2pints

Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:57 am

In the UK, phone infrastructure companies such as British Telecom have been forced to allow other companies access to their  networks to allow so called free  market  competition and prevent a monopoly from existing.
 The effect has been for the main incumbent, British Telecom to be split up into two companies, BT Retail, and BT Wholesale ( now called 'openreach)
Openreach own and maintain the hardware side of things ( the cables/wires/ducts/poles/exchanges etc) who then allow other companies to access the infrastructure to provide their own services over.
 There are also regulatory controls in place to ensure that openreach treat all providers the same, and likewise there are ( some) wholesale price controls in place to ensure that all companies are playing on a level  playing field
 So for a vast majority of people in the UK there is a good choice of phone/internet companies all competing with each other driving down costs

I'm surprised that similar things dont appear to exist n the USA, for example  where AT&T own the infrastructure they dont appear to have much in the way of wholesale access for other companies to use at a fair price - unless i'm mistaken.

twiceover

Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:27 am

jeffrok wrote:
2pints wrote:

Maybe in places other than America.. I live in the USA, but in an area where unlimited data is the norm.  In other areas, especially less populated areas, they don't have that luxury.

I live in Small Town USA, I have 5 ISP options.  It's mostly large cities that have issues as local governments have given incentives to large carriers to prevent competition.

ClancyCat

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:13 am

twiceover wrote:
jeffrok wrote:
2pints wrote:

Maybe in places other than America.. I live in the USA, but in an area where unlimited data is the norm.  In other areas, especially less populated areas, they don't have that luxury.

I live in Small Town USA, I have 5 ISP options.  It's mostly large cities that have issues as local governments have given incentives to large carriers to prevent competition.

I live in Small Town USA and have ONE realistic option for an ISP directly tied to the phone company.  The other options have up/download limits (satellite) that are untenable for anyone with any realistic online usage.  Five options? Dang, that's not a small town, not by my standards.

ClancyCat

twiceover

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:52 pm

ClancyCat wrote:
I live in Small Town USA and have ONE realistic option for an ISP directly tied to the phone company.  The other options have up/download limits (satellite) that are untenable for anyone with any realistic online usage.  Five options? Dang, that's not a small town, not by my standards.

ClancyCat

I'd be surprised if that is the case.  Most places at least have a telephone provider offering DSL, a cable provider offering well... cable, and a Satellite offering horrible satellite service.  I never said I had 5 viable options, I just said I have 5 options.  More than likely you have at least 3.