Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

leeapole
Topic Author

Roku Premiere+ 4630R & iPlayer UK

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:47 am

Hi all,

New here so sorry if this has been asked before but I've done  search and did not find this.

I have a Roku Premiere+ 4630R which i believe came from abroad (ebay purchase from a uk traveler) it works fine with Amazon etc but it is odd with the BBC iPlayer.

iplayer installs and runs fine, BUT it goes from full screen at loading to a small screen when its loaded (so black bars around all four sides) so like a screen within a screen??

I can see a lot of questions about iPlayer not loading at all or not installing but i've not seen this?

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks.

leeapole
Topic Author

Re: Roku Premiere+ 4630R & iPlayer UK

Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:15 pm

Anyone?

2pints

Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:56 pm

BBC Iplayer only works on Roku devices sold in the UK, see here https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/roku these must have either EU or UK at the end of their model number
import models may not work, and/or may present issues.
Roku currently only sell the Express, and Streaming Stick+ in the UK

If the premiere or any other model does launch, then it may be possible to flash UK /compataible firmware to it, however this is something that takes place automatically and you will need to factory re-set the roku and set it up again with a new account, after that it should download UK firmware,
 Although for now the premiere isnt available in the UK, and without the UK/EU suffix at the end of the model Iplayer will cause issues.

The easiest option would be to sell, and eiother track down a Roku 3 ( uk version) if you require an ethernet connection, or a Roku Stick+

leeapole
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:09 pm

Thanks 2pints, had no idea so few versions were legitimately available in the UK.

Fingers crossed they release more.

Shame as it’s a great unit.

Newsrus

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:14 pm

I had the same issue watching from Canada. I figured iut that it will work with iPlayer if you change the Roku display settings to 720 (the lowest quality setting). Then you get a full screen picture.