Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

bjhebert
Topic Author

Roku TV Intermittent Network Connection Loss Since 8.1.0 Update

Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:36 am

I have a TCL Roku TV,  model 49S405,  Roku TV 7104X  on Software version 8.1.0 build 4139-30.  

This is a bedroom TV that often stays on overnight watching OTA local channels.  Most mornings, although not every morning, I wake up to find the TV has lost connection to the internet.  The white LED light on the bottom bezel is double blinking, Roku ads on the main screen will not load, and any attempt to access a channel or perform system update fails due to lost network connectivity.  On the Network About screen, the Status is usually "Not Connected", although some times it shows "Connected", even though though internet access is not working.  Performing "Check Connection" from the Network menu screen successfully restores internet connectivity, and all is well for several hours or overnight.  Restarting the TV also fixes the issue, but Network "Check Connection" always works and is quicker.

This issue started with the 8.1 update.  Noting else with this bedroom TV's usage pattern or my home network has changed.  I have several other stand-alone Roku devices: Ultra, Premiere+, Stick+, and none of them exhibit this daily/nightly network loss issue.  

Is this a known issue with the 8.1 update on (TCL) Roku TVs?  Any other users with Roku TVs seeing this problem?

Thanks for help or suggestions.

atc98092

Re: Roku TV Intermittent Network Connection Loss Since 8.1.0 Update

Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:31 pm

I don't have a TCL set, but my Sharp has no issues with retaining the network connection with 8.1. The Insignia is wireless only, but it too retains its connection. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

speechles

Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:39 pm

I had this happen on my Roku Ultra twice. When the internet goes out, and the unit isn't being used and is idle on the roku homescreen. So technically on, but not tuned to the roku. When the internet goes out, it seems it won't try to reaquire a signal again when its in this state. I turn on the TV the next morning with CEC by press any button on the roku remote, usually its the OK, and this gives focus back to the roku. That button is sent as a wake up and discarded. The box doesn't get the keypress so doesn't matter what it is. But after this, if the internet hiccup'd at all during the night, the roku remains in that state. I open an app, it says, this app requires internet, start it anyways? Might not be that exact message, but its similar. After that I check my PC, has internet. Phone has internet. Wifi is fine. The Roku Ultra is wired. It should always have internet if all the other devices do.. WTF. So usually I go into network settings and tell it detect ethernet again and all is fine ever after. This happened with the 8.1 update I can concur. With 8.0 and my flaky overnight internet this never occured.

TCL2017

Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:46 pm

I am having a similar issue. I have a 40" TCL 2017 model. Since the update to 8.1 every 5-10 minutes I get an error that says there is no internet connection, even if in the network tab it says it is connected with excellent signal strength.  I have to manually check the connection for it to work again but only for 5-10 more minutes.  TCL customer support is worthless. Hopefully Roku can run a patch for this soon.  I have tried to restart the system through the menu and restarting the router which helps butt only extends the time between issues to 15-20 minutes before starting all over again.

bjhebert
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:59 am

TCL2017,  I haven't had that frequency of connection loss.  I did not lose internet connectivity overnight, last night.  But I did lose it the prior five nights in a row.  However, this is a my bedroom TV and I almost exclusively watch over-the-air programming at night.  I will try streaming apps over the next few nights to see if that makes any difference.  But I'm absolutely certain this behavior started with the 8.1 update.  Thanks, everyone, for your input. 

bjhebert
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:31 am

Update... For the last three nights, overnight, I streamed content (YouTube TV) rather than an OTA antenna signal.  I had no network connectivity loss or problems doing this.  Now I don't always have a internet connection loss from OTA -- but generally, at least one night in three, I would expect to have the issue.  

So, what does this mean?  It seems I don't have an issue maintaining an active network connection/stream.  Why the issue when watching OTA overnight?  Perhaps, when the TV is on but the network connection is idle for some time, a network connection request (background check for updates, maybe) fails and the internet connection becomes FUBAR.  

This I know--looking at the TV first thing in the morning:  If the bottom-bezel LED light is double-blinking, internet connection isn't working regardless what's its status says.  If the LED light is not blinking, internet connectivity should be good.

Any other thoughts? 

blade_005

Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:01 am

bjhebert wrote:
Update... For the last three nights, overnight, I streamed content (YouTube TV) rather than an OTA antenna signal.  I had no network connectivity loss or problems doing this.  Now I don't always have a internet connection loss from OTA -- but generally, at least one night in three, I would expect to have the issue.  

So, what does this mean?  It seems I don't have an issue maintaining an active network connection/stream.  Why the issue when watching OTA overnight?  Perhaps, when the TV is on but the network connection is idle for some time, a network connection request (background check for updates, maybe) fails and the internet connection becomes FUBAR.  

This I know--looking at the TV first thing in the morning:  If the bottom-bezel LED light is double-blinking, internet connection isn't working regardless what's its status says.  If the LED light is not blinking, internet connectivity should be good.

Any other thoughts? 

Have you left it OFF one night to see what the network connectivity status is the next morning? Or, is this only an overnight thing? Is this bedroom TV OFF all day and you still have internet connectivity when you first turn it ON in the evening? May be something occurring with your ISP/Router overnight if the TV does not have active network activity in the morning. I don't see how watching OTA content overnight would impact network status.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)

bjhebert
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:54 am

There have been nights when the TV was OFF, and it always successfully connects to the internet when turned ON--be that next morning or evening.  I've only observed it being an overnight thing as its my bedroom TV and that's generally the usage pattern.  I'll try leaving it ON during the day this weekend and see what happens. 

I might suspect router or ISP issue if the problem didn't begin concurrently with the 8.1 firmware on this TV.  There have been no changes to my network configuration or router firmware, and no other of the many devices on my network (including several Roku devices) is currently having connectivity issues.  I don't think watching OTA content causes the issue---but rather, I would think the TV's network connection is generally idle during that time and perhaps something is timing out, going to sleep, or developing an issue then.  Maybe I should also try leaving the TV ON overnight at the Roku menu--no OTA and no active data stream. 

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

meffertf

Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:21 pm

Happens to me every night. I use Settings->System - >Power to restart. TCL Roku TV running 8.2.0 build 4167-08.started f the time I got one of the 8.x updates.
I also have the low sound issue, which can be corrected by changing the Sound mode to something else then going back to the original Sound mode. That also started around the same time.
It's disappointing, because otherwise, I love the TV