Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Bring back the Aquarium Screen saver!

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:29 pm

nascent wrote:
That doesn't make sense.  I had the screensaver for years on my non 4k device.  I have to buy a new tv to get the screensaver back?!

No, a different Roku model. They only have it on newer models that output 4k, but don't require a 4K TV. I have three non 4K devices, which don't have it.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

nascent

Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:31 am

Even better I need to buy a newer and more expensive roku, just to get back the screensaver I've always been able to use?

Heyitsrick

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:58 am

nascent wrote:
Even better I need to buy a newer and more expensive roku, just to get back the screensaver I've always been able to use?

The Roku 3 4200X was sold at $49.99.  The Roku 4K Premiere is sold at $39.99 today. 

nascent

Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:04 am

Rationalising buying a new product to get back a screensaver that was working fine on my current device before being remotely removed....  mental

Heyitsrick

Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:20 am

nascent wrote:
Rationalising buying a new product to get back a screensaver that was working fine on my current device before being remotely removed....  mental

I'm not rationalizing anything. Just pointing out that your comment about a "more expensive" product is incorrect.  
This Roku screensaver appears to be the classic "Sachs Marine Aquarium" screensaver that Roku probably licensed, and was also licensed by Microsoft at one time. You can check out a version of it here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ldeOT3Ysgs  

I was able to "cast" this in beautiful resolution to my TV screen on a Chrome browser via my Roku.  Of course, you could always just open it up on youtube, lol.

Resourceful people might figure out how to use a USB stick in their Roku for video files they are able to obtain.