Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

raleman

Re: Windows 10 App HTTP Error

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:29 pm

Yeah, since level 1 support is mostly following a script it's difficult to communicate that this is an app-wide issue and not a user-specific issue.  You just have to humor them until it gets to level two support.  I sent them a screen recording of me reproducing the error and another one of me scrolling through 3 pages of the most recent one-star reviews on the Microsoft store complaining about HTTP error.  If you want to do the same, I highly recommend recordit.co which is free for recordings up to 5 minutes.  Note that the recordings are publicly accessible to anyone that has the link you give out, but you can crop just the part of the screen you want to record before you start and can delete recordings. 

Here's my recording of just the first 3 pages of bad reviews: http://recordit.co/AtpoyhxheD

TheBigGumbo

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:20 am

I am receiving the same error.  There are way too many users complaining about this issue for it to be a hardware error or an error in the Windows 10 version.     This thread has been running for about three months and as far as I can tell the issue has not been fixed.   It doesn't look like it will be solved any time soon. Oh well, time to look at Amazon Fire Stick.

ncsulilwolf

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:04 pm

Same issue here...

aja2019

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:51 am

Same problem here. Come on Roku - let us know what's happening ...

Block3

Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:25 pm

I'm seeing the same error here when I go to "My Feed", "Streaming Channels",  or "Settings",  and try to "Sign in" from any of those tabs which all present a "Sign in" window (Settings presents it after clicking on "Sign in" beneath the Roku device detected):
"Error
Error
Http Error"
Then too, sometimes the app simply locks up.
Play on Roku Music shows "Playlists, Artists, Albums, and All Songs" and displays the thumbnail and info for whatever is chosen, but no sound can be heard.

dckaynor

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:14 am

I've checked my firewall settings for inbound and outbound rules and saw nothing unusual. still may be a firewall issue. 

skobb

Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:27 pm

Same error. 

How long will it take to fix this thing (on Windows)?!

BTW: The Roku app works just fine on my Amazon Tablet. Same home network, so there's nothing wrong with the firewall.

dav

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:10 am

Same, really disappointed with so much about Roku, could never recommend anyone buy one when reading things like this.

Why not simply allow web browser logins (or an extension linked to accounts) and streaming like Netflix, and every other successful streaming service?

What the stick does, on computers, no brainer.

Also this app's keyboard doesn't work in YouTube where it would be most needed for searches, should really let them know and maybe they'll address their issues quicker.

atc98092

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:42 pm

dav wrote:
Same, really disappointed with so much about Roku, could never recommend anyone buy one when reading things like this.

I fail to see how a computer app would make you so disappointed in Roku. The Windows app is in no way necessary to use a Roku in any way. The apps for iOS and Android work fine, if you really must have an external app. Can it make doing some things a little easier? Perhaps. But using the Roku remote isn't that difficult. Sure, on screen keyboards are annoying, but they've been a fact of life for a long time now, and aren't specific to Roku. I have to do the same thing with my TV and Blu Ray player (with no outside app at all available) and my Nvidia Shield (which can pair a BT keyboard). 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Block3

Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:32 pm

atc98092 wrote:
dav wrote:

I fail to see how a computer app would make you so disappointed in Roku. The Windows app is in no way necessary to use a Roku in any way. The apps for iOS and Android work fine, if you really must have an external app. Can it make doing some things a little easier? Perhaps. But using the Roku remote isn't that difficult. Sure, on screen keyboards are annoying, but they've been a fact of life for a long time now, and aren't specific to Roku. I have to do the same thing with my TV and Blu Ray player (with no outside app at all available) and my Nvidia Shield (which can pair a BT keyboard). 

I like being able to listen to music while on my laptop via bluetooth to my headphones from my Onkyo Receiver which I can control from an app on my laptop. Having the app for the ROKU as well there means needing to have one less remote at my side to, say for example, pick a different Pandora "station" to listen to.
Given the cost of the device it would seem that the programming involved in fixing the Windows app error would be something well worth attending to - something ROKU has completely dropped the ball on. If it's there, it should work, if for no other reason than "on principle".  I think the months of delay in fixing it indicates that their attitude is that they don't need to be bothered with their customer base. Not very user/customer friendly. 

atc98092

Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:19 pm

Block3 wrote:
I like being able to listen to music while on my laptop via bluetooth to my headphones from my Onkyo Receiver which I can control from an app on my laptop. Having the app for the ROKU as well there means needing to have one less remote at my side to, say for example, pick a different Pandora "station" to listen to.
Given the cost of the device it would seem that the programming involved in fixing the Windows app error would be something well worth attending to - something ROKU has completely dropped the ball on. If it's there, it should work, if for no other reason than "on principle".  I think the months of delay in fixing it indicates that their attitude is that they don't need to be bothered with their customer base. Not very user/customer friendly. 

That is a valid use of the app, and I agree that it becomes quite useful in your situation. If you have an iOS or Android device, you could use the Roku app on them for the same purpose, and to my knowledge they have no issues 
That said, I just opened the app on my Windows 10 computer and connected to the Roku TV sitting beside me. It was turned off, but when I clicked the "Remote" icon on the app (the one below the Home button) it turned the TV on. Using the buttons available on the app, I was in complete control of the TV, including the volume controls. Does that not offer you the control you are seeking? I didn't have to log in to my account to do this. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

dckaynor

Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:02 pm

Stephen Kay
Senior Vice President & General Counsel, Roku, Inc.
150 Winchester Circle, Los Gatos, CA 95032
accessibility@roku.com
Phone number: 408-556-9391
Fax number: 408-364-1260

Block3

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:19 pm

atc98092 wrote:
Block3 wrote:

That is a valid use of the app, and I agree that it becomes quite useful in your situation. If you have an iOS or Android device, you could use the Roku app on them for the same purpose, and to my knowledge they have no issues 
That said, I just opened the app on my Windows 10 computer and connected to the Roku TV sitting beside me. It was turned off, but when I clicked the "Remote" icon on the app (the one below the Home button) it turned the TV on. Using the buttons available on the app, I was in complete control of the TV, including the volume controls. Does that not offer you the control you are seeking? I didn't have to log in to my account to do this. 

I'm hoping this post does not end up as a close duplicate of one I wrote in response to your question. In any event, I stand corrected (at least partially).
While the App doen't work to turn on the TV and/or ROKU itself, I do find that what you described is working once I've turned the TV on and used the actual ROKU remote to open up the Home page.
The Windows app does then appear to work if you only use the "Remote" icon as you describe. The Remote control shown there lets me navigate through the channels and make a selection there, as well as working within the selected app just as well as the actual handheld ROKU remote.
"My Feed" and "Streaming Channels" both lead to the non-functional sign in page.
"Play on Roku" often shows "There are no playlists" even while playing media from "My Music" which does shows music on my laptop as shown most closely to how Groove displays it.
I do have the app lock up, especially after having tried some of the options leading to the faulty sign in.
It still is annoying to have the app not work as obviously intended, particularly since a decent Windows App programmer with access to the source code could probably debug and fix that particular subroutine error in two days time, max. Considering how many thousands of $50+ units they've sold, it doesn't seem like that cost would even be a flea bite out of their bottom line. Think how many people have purchased a ROKU only to find it still has bugs, ones that people have been pointing out for months now. They're not the only show in town.

XRaiderV18

Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:36 pm

I'm abandoning all hope of the windows 10 version ever getting fixed..if its not been fixed, and there's no word on a potential fix after now 4 months..its not going to be fixed.
murphey's law: anything and everything that could go wrong can and probably will.

kna

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:45 pm

Same problem. Went to store to see if it needed an update and I noticed I can't find app in the Microsoft store and even though I have the app on my computer it doesn't show in my installed list. Did Microsoft store get rid of it?