Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

rushman55

Re: [Official] 2018 Fall Launch - Roku Ultra + JBL Headphones Feedback

Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:20 pm

it does not showin the about menu either. I have check that as well. I'm thinking maybe after the updates in November then the model number might change in the about menu possibly.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:48 am

The 2018 Roku Ultra now includes a pair of premium JBL headphones. You can ensure you have these headphones by checking the earbuds for the “JBL” logo. The new Roku Ultra will show 4660 printed on the player, packed inside of a box that displays the new 4661 SKU. The 4661 SKU on the box denotes the premium JBL headphones are inside. Roku OS 9 is expected to begin rolling out to Roku players starting next month. We hope that helps answer your questions! Happy Streaming
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

rushman55

Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:07 pm

thanks shawn for the clarification. I appreciate your explanation sir, but it just seems nonsensical to me too print one model number on the box and print a different model number on the actual unit. I actually had the Best Buy manager call the corporate office to check on things because this was so confusing for me. They were actually checking to see if Roku was shipping them the right model. Haha!

I would venture to say that this model number issue is confusing quite a few people across the country right now. I think Roku should have just kept it the same model number, and just said we're adding upgraded JBL earbuds.

SL BRABUS

Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:31 am

If somebody could help....

Thanks in advance...

Just got my new 2018 Roku Utra.....

This unit replace my Samsung Smart Blu Ray Player BD-J6300/ZA by using HDMI for picture & 5.1 surround sound....

Very disappointing  with the new 2018 Roku Utra no more 5.1 surround sound... Always sending out PCM instead of DD5.1 when a DD+ audio track is played.....

It's the firmware issue...??

Buyer beware this issue....

Best Regards,
Tony

atc98092

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:51 pm

SL BRABUS wrote:

Thanks in advance...

This unit replace my Samsung Smart Blu Ray Player BD-J6300/ZA by using HDMI for picture & 5.1 surround sound....

Very disappointing  with the new 2018 Roku Utra no more 5.1 surround sound... Always sending out PCM instead of DD5.1 when a DD+ audio track is played.....

Best Regards,
Tony

The Ultra 4660 (2017 and later) no longer has a DD+ to DD decoder, so it's been this way for some time. It was removed for cost savings. Unfortunately, if you aren't using a device that can decode DD+, you're stuck with PCM. For the Ultra with decoder, you need model 4640 (2016 version). And no other Roku player has the decoder either. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (2016), and Ultra (2016), Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, CenturyLink DSL

SL BRABUS

Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:52 pm

atc98092 wrote:
SL BRABUS wrote:

Thanks in advance...

Best Regards,
Tony

The Ultra 4660 (2017 and later) no longer has a DD+ to DD decoder, so it's been this way for some time. It was removed for cost savings. Unfortunately, if you aren't using a device that can decode DD+, you're stuck with PCM. For the Ultra with decoder, you need model 4640 (2016 version). And no other Roku player has the decoder either. 

Thanks Dan for the help and information....
Now since this has been addressed, is Roku team going to fix this problem.....??
Hopefully they will fix this problem with the new firmware...
If they decide to ignore and not fix this problem there will be more unsatisfied customers with complaint about surround sound issue, which is not good for the Roku company....

Best Regards,
Tony

atc98092

Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:00 pm

But it's not a "problem". It was a decision to remove it for cost savings, which they used to lower the price of the Ultra. They won't be adding it via software (not certain it can be done, might require a chip) because they would have to pay a licensing fee to Dolby, which they don't want to do. Naturally, since so many streaming sites have switched to DD+, it has an impact on the user. However, for users that connect directly to a TV, it doesn't really matter because the TV only has two speakers. Sending it 5.1 doesn't really do anything. For users with soundbars or AVRs that don't support DD+, well I guess it's time for an update. 
But it's a business decision that Roku appears to have made, and I doubt you'll see a DD+ decoder on any current model. Of course, they might have a new high end model in the works that supports all the little things that some of us gripe about, but since Roku never announces their future plans, who knows?
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (2016), and Ultra (2016), Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, CenturyLink DSL

SL BRABUS

Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:12 am

atc98092 wrote:
But it's not a "problem". It was a decision to remove it for cost savings, which they used to lower the price of the Ultra. They won't be adding it via software (not certain it can be done, might require a chip) because they would have to pay a licensing fee to Dolby, which they don't want to do. Naturally, since so many streaming sites have switched to DD+, it has an impact on the user. However, for users that connect directly to a TV, it doesn't really matter because the TV only has two speakers. Sending it 5.1 doesn't really do anything. For users with soundbars or AVRs that don't support DD+, well I guess it's time for an update. 
But it's a business decision that Roku appears to have made, and I doubt you'll see a DD+ decoder on any current model. Of course, they might have a new high end model in the works that supports all the little things that some of us gripe about, but since Roku never announces their future plans, who knows?

Thank you Dan for all the helpful information.....

hackztor

Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:06 am

atc98092 wrote:

Knowing they rebadged ultra from last year i am doubtful anything is coming. This was the year for dolby vision like apple tv...another roku fail.

kturcotte1980

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:35 am

hackztor wrote:
atc98092 wrote:

Knowing they rebadged ultra from last year i am doubtful anything is coming. This was the year for dolby vision like apple tv...another roku fail.

Agree. I think it's time to look for a new streamer that DOES support Dolby Vision

wifiguy84

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:34 am

Given there is no technical difference b/w 2017 and 2018 Ultras (not considering headphones), will the 2017 model have the same remote finder sounds? Ie, ESPN and GoT?  Via an update maybe?  Sorry in advance if this is off topic.

nocable

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:48 pm

A number of years ago, I bought a Sony Blu-ray player, a BDP-BX59. This was the exact same Blu-ray player, as the S590, with only difference being, that the BDP-BX59 came with an HDMI cable, and the S590, was the same player, but without the cable. When I went to look for reviews and information on Fourms, I learned to just search for S590, and I didn't worry that I couldn't find "BX59" in a search...
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Ultra & 3600
SPECTRUM - 100/10 Mbps

Favorite Roku Channels:
WEATHER4US
PLUTO TV
YOU TUBE
PLUTO TV

jenin1383

Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:13 am

I am planning to buy Roku Ultra in US and use it in Belgium.
I assume that my device will work in Belgium. (Other than sling, Pandora etc which are US specific).
Anybody has tried it before?

DBDukes

Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:28 am

jenin1383 wrote:
I am planning to buy Roku Ultra in US and use it in Belgium.
I assume that my device will work in Belgium. (Other than sling, Pandora etc which are US specific).
Anybody has tried it before?

Keep in mind that just because a service works in a particular country or region, that's no guarantee that the Roku app for the service will work there.

Netflix, for example, is notorious for not supporting their Roku app outside of places where Roku is sold. The Netflix app on Roku may or may not work in Belgium.

The only places in Europe that you can reasonable expect things to work properly are the U.K. and France. Could be hit an miss elsewhere.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

jenin1383

Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:03 am

Ah.. Thanks!.. I'm buying anyway in Bestbuy... Too good to resist offer. Will Post in forum in couple of weeks to confirm how it works!