Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

empirefalls

Re: [Official] 2018 Fall Launch - Roku Ultra + JBL Headphones Feedback

Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:41 am

"  Roku Ultra + JBL Headphones  "   ?

Is this any better than  Roku Ultra Walmart was selling just before than the "Roku Ultra + JBL Headphones "  hit the shelf's 
I have both but have not unwrapped the "Roku Ultra + JBL Headphones "

The headphones mean nothing. I use a different style of headphones

atc98092

Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:14 am

empirefalls wrote:
"  Roku Ultra + JBL Headphones  "   ?

Is this any better than  Roku Ultra Walmart was selling just before than the "Roku Ultra + JBL Headphones "  hit the shelf's 
I have both but have not unwrapped the "Roku Ultra + JBL Headphones "

The headphones mean nothing. I use a different style of headphones

The Ultra is the same regardless if the box says model 4660 or 4661. The only difference is the headphones. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (2016), and Ultra (2016), Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, CenturyLink DSL

Kent_c

Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:45 pm

Something seriously wrong with this and I hope mine is just a one off. Device reboots whenever I try and setup my apps that I've been using for years.

JohnBoy1

Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:40 pm

Please add Dolby Vision to ultra's ,firestick and apple have it.....Stop playing catch up roku,you guys were once the trendsetters.

nocable

Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:17 pm

I received my Ultra from Best Buy in the mail today. The SKU# is 4661R. The Model# is 4660X2. Assembled in China. No Date of Mfg. like you sometimes see on electronics, like TVs and Blu-Ray players. The remote's 4 hot buttons are: NETFLIX, HULU, SLING, CBS ALL ACCESS.
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Ultra & 3600
SPECTRUM - 100/10 Mbps

Favorite Roku Channels:
WEATHER4US
PLUTO TV
YOU TUBE
PLUTO TV

empirefalls

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:13 am

Just opened my new Roku Ultra,   Advertised with one month free Slingtv.  Nothing , no code in the box.  Is it when i hook up the Roku Ultra , it shows up with the offer somewhere?

empirefalls

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:52 pm

empirefalls wrote:
Just opened my new Roku Ultra,   Advertised with one month free Slingtv.  Nothing , no code in the box.  Is it when i hook up the Roku Ultra , it shows up with the offer somewhere?

Just answered my Q. As you set up the Roku for the first time,  The answer is here: https://www.roku.com/offers/holiday

empirefalls

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:13 pm

Bad Ending.
So I bought the Roku Ultra on Black Friday day at Walmart. In the Walmart Black Friday flyer ii said what it says below in a Walmart online "$35-CREDIT-TOWARDS-SLING-TV-"
Make a long story short, i opened a Slingtv account but could not get SlingTv to process and redeem the $35 credit.  After 3 chats with SlingTV with 3 different variations of what was going, i got told there was a code on the Walmart receipt.. There was no code on the Walmart receipt.  Its the right Roku model, there are JBL headphones with it.

So i am returning the Roku Ultra.  I already have a Roku Ultra but i figured i would buy this latest Roku Ultra because it was $48  and a $35 credit made it an extra good buy.

From Walmart . com 
"Roku Ultra Streaming Player (2018) now with JBL headphones - WITH $35 CREDIT TOWARDS SLING TV..."
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Roku-Ultra-S ... /529826649

Frustrated Man

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:16 pm

NBA app doesn’t work on my Roku Ultra but works fine on my Roku 2 and Roku Premeire. All other apps work fine except the Roku Ultra NBA app.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:20 pm

Frustrated Man wrote:
NBA app doesn’t work on my Roku Ultra but works fine on my Roku 2 and Roku Premeire.  All other apps work fine except the Roku Ultra NBA app.

Delete, reboot, re-add.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

hgpop2004

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:03 pm

I just purchased the Roku ultra with jbl headphones, for my home theater set up (denon avrx1400h and Mitsubishi hc4000 projector). Set up was fine until auto detect resolution, which found 1080p (which is what my projector’s native resolution is). After this step it the signal was lost. I was briefly able to see the screen for at most 5-10 seconds, followed by either snow screen or “no signal” blue screen. I changed the hdmi input in the denon avr to see if that helps but it didn’t. I also tried switching g between different hdmi cables to see if it is the actual cable... still no luck... at this point I am ready to return the product, unless I can get some other ideas from this forum.

Thank you

DevonNullman

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:02 pm

I just purchased a Roku Ultra with the Headphones at Best Buy. The Box shows SKU 4661R and the unit itself shows Model No. 4660X2. It does not appear to decode Ac-3 Dolby Digital. Is that possible ? I have a very old Seagate Theater + and a WD TV Live that both play those files perfectly, why would that be omitted from this new Roku ? Support suggested that I re-encode to a different audio format, which is not an option, I probably have over a thousand files / hours that are encoded with AC-3. 

atc98092

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:18 pm

DevonNullman wrote:
I just purchased a Roku Ultra with the Headphones at Best Buy. The Box shows SKU 4661R and the unit itself shows Model No. 4660X2. It does not appear to decode Ac-3 Dolby Digital. Is that possible ? I have a very old Seagate Theater + and a WD TV Live that both play those files perfectly, why would that be omitted from this new Roku ? Support suggested that I re-encode to a different audio format, which is not an option, I probably have over a thousand files / hours that are encoded with AC-3. 

The only Roku that has ever had a DD decoder was the Ultra 4640. All other Roku players are capable of passing the Dolby Digital bitstream via HDMI to compatible receiver or display. But it cannot decode DD for devices that don't support it. I don't know what a Seagate Theater is, but I did find Seagate FreeAgent Theater with an online search. It appears to support AC-3. Well, the Roku Ultra supports AC-3 as well as Dolby Digital+, but it cannot decode those codecs. They have to be decoded by your display or receiver. How are you handling the audio? Exactly what have you connected the Roku to? And exactly what are you watching that you aren't getting the audio? 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (2016), and Ultra (2016), Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, CenturyLink DSL

DevonNullman

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:51 pm

atc98092 wrote:
DevonNullman wrote:

The only Roku that has ever had a DD decoder was the Ultra 4640. All other Roku players are capable of passing the Dolby Digital bitstream via HDMI to compatible receiver or display. But it cannot decode DD for devices that don't support it. I don't know what a Seagate Theater is, but I did find Seagate FreeAgent Theater with an online search. It appears to support AC-3. Well, the Roku Ultra supports AC-3 as well as Dolby Digital+, but it cannot decode those codecs. They have to be decoded by your display or receiver. How are you handling the audio? Exactly what have you connected the Roku to? And exactly what are you watching that you aren't getting the audio? 

The Roku was and is still set to auto and states that Dolby Digital was detected. It is connected via HDMI to a VIZIO M220MV - Specs include: Built in speakers x 2. Dolby Digital Decoding, SRS TruSurround HD and SRS TruVolume sound enhancement. Other TV's as well as other HDMI cables have been tried. The content is a wide range, TV Shows, Movies in mp4 and mkv format. The Seagate is AKA Seagate FreeAgent Theater Plus. Edit - I have tested several of the source files using mkverify and ffmpeg, none show any issues.

atc98092

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:21 pm

DevonNullman wrote:
atc98092 wrote:
DevonNullman wrote:

The Roku was and is still set to auto and states that Dolby Digital was detected. It is connected via HDMI to a VIZIO M220MV - Specs include: Built in speakers x 2. Dolby Digital Decoding, SRS TruSurround HD and SRS TruVolume sound enhancement. Other TV's as well as other HDMI cables have been tried. The content is a wide range, TV Shows, Movies in mp4 and mkv format. The Seagate is AKA Seagate FreeAgent Theater Plus. Edit - I have tested several of the source files using mkverify and ffmpeg, none show any issues.

Well, if your files have AC-3 audio, it should be working fine. I can't explain why it isn't working, except the possibility of a defective player. Any chance of testing it on another TV? Every Roku ever built supports AC-3 audio. 
Dan