Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

farmchild
Topic Author

Roku Premiere+ - No Sound until restart

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:05 pm

I'm using a Roku Premiere+ (4630X) model and primarily use it with SlingTV.  I've been using it without any major problems for months now, but starting just this week I've experienced a new issue with audio.  Several times a day, audio stops playing entirely with the Roku.  When this occurs, all audio stops functioning permanently until a reboot of the Roku.  This impacts all channels I've tried (SlingTV, Amazon, Youtube, etc..), and even effects all menu noise in the main Roku screens.  Upon restart of the Roku device, everything functions fine again for a few hours until the issue repeats.

I have the Roku plugged into an Onkyo receiver (TX-NR545) via HDMI, and the receiver feeds directly into my TV (Samsung UN65K8000F).  I have confirmed that when the issue with the Roku occurs, I can switch to a chromecast on the same Receiver, and audio still works.  When I switch back to the Roku, audio does not work.  This tells me it's an issue with the Roku and not my receiver or audio equipment.  I've checked for updates and verified I'm using the latest software version (8.1.0 Build 4159)

Upon googling or searching forums, the only audio issue I've seen report with roku is where the audio continually cuts in and out as you are streaming, but that is not what is happening in my case.  Sound completely stops working on the Roku and will not start working again until I reboot the roku.  Has anybody else seen this issue, or know of a way to fix this?
Last edited by farmchild on Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhythm1

Re: Roku Primiere+ - No Sound until restart

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:11 am

I have the same issue with my Roku Premiere (4620X). I also have used it for almost a year with no audio issues until recently.

I also have the latest software version (8.1.0 Build 4159), and the Roku is connected to a Denon AVR via HDMI which outputs to my Sony TV.
When I started having audio dropouts I tried changing HDMI cables and using different HDMI inputs on my receiver with no success. The only solution is rebooting the Roku.
The audio stops working at least once a day.

drakinfar

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:19 am

Same issue here with model 4630x 8.1.0 Build 4159-29. Have to restart to regain audio happening since about Saturday.

Premiere+4630

Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:23 pm

Very interesting, I just experienced this for the first time the other night with my Premiere 4620, which is connected directly to the TV's HDMI and uses the TV's speakers. Roku is at the latest release, and was never an issue with previous releases for over a year. Reboot is the only thing that clears it up. Switching to the HDMI input for the CATV box and the sound is fine, so it's definitely a Roku issue.

rhythm1

Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:56 am

This audio dropout issue is surprisingly similar to the problem seen when disconnecting headphones that is reported here.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 9de025de48

Rebooting is the only thing that recovers the audio.

T_J

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:48 am

Dec 2016 I bought a Premiere + (4630X). Currently use Netflix, YouTube, DirecTV Now. Premiere + HDMI connected to Sony TV and uses either TV speakers or TVs 'audio out' to a Pioneer stereo. My Premiere + (version 8.1.0 build 4159-29) works perfectly and does not have any sound problems. This Sony TV / Premiere + gets several hours of use every day. I use Ethernet cables for Premiere + and Roku 2 (4210), and both work perfect , with no sound problems.
Last edited by T_J on Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

paulgp602

Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:57 am

We also have the 4630X running build 8.1.0 v4159-29 and the audio problem comes and goes. I'd say ours happens at random. Sometimes its every day, other times it takes a week to act up. I have isolated it to the Roku player. Its not Sling, not the HDMI cable, Not my TV, and not the input I am using on the TV. The audio problem follows the Roku player during my troubleshooting process. The Roku has been without this audio issue prior to upgrading to this latest build. We also have a 4200x Roku 3 running build 8.1.0  v4145-04 and it never has this audio bug. Please fix this Roku, its annoying.

The setup is:
Wireless->Roku Player->HDMI cable->Samsung Smart TV HDMI input 1

willyum4u

Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Same problem here. WTF has ROKU cut support? Cheap bastards. Might be time to check another option to yet another company cutting corners. Any suggestions?

willyum4u

Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:35 pm

I've sent a request, with a link to this page, to customersupport@roku.com . Maybe someone will actually take up this issue. If not, I'll be looking at Amason Fire or whatever it is they have.

skv1899

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:01 pm

I'm having the exact same problem with my roku premiere. I even wiped it and started over but now it's doing it again. It's super frustrating. I've only owned it a year.

paulgp602

Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:13 am

skv1899 wrote:
I'm having the exact same problem with my roku premiere. I even wiped it and started over but now it's doing it again. It's super frustrating. I've only owned it a year.

Me too. I did a factory reset thinking the updates over the past couple years may have fudged things up but it still does it. It seemed to go away for longer this time but it started doing it again yesterday which led me here. I'm going to send the link to support as well. Maybe the more noise we make the better they will respond? Who knows.
Last edited by paulgp602 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

paulgp602

Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:14 am

farmchild wrote:
I'm using a Roku Premiere+ (4630X) model and primarily use it with SlingTV.  I've been using it without any major problems for months now, but starting just this week I've experienced a new issue with audio.  Several times a day, audio stops playing entirely with the Roku.  When this occurs, all audio stops functioning permanently until a reboot of the Roku.  This impacts all channels I've tried (SlingTV, Amazon, Youtube, etc..), and even effects all menu noise in the main Roku screens.  Upon restart of the Roku device, everything functions fine again for a few hours until the issue repeats.

I have the Roku plugged into an Onkyo receiver (TX-NR545) via HDMI, and the receiver feeds directly into my TV (Samsung UN65K8000F).  I have confirmed that when the issue with the Roku occurs, I can switch to a chromecast on the same Receiver, and audio still works.  When I switch back to the Roku, audio does not work.  This tells me it's an issue with the Roku and not my receiver or audio equipment.  I've checked for updates and verified I'm using the latest software version (8.1.0 Build 4159)

Upon googling or searching forums, the only audio issue I've seen report with roku is where the audio continually cuts in and out as you are streaming, but that is not what is happening in my case.  Sound completely stops working on the Roku and will not start working again until I reboot the roku.  Has anybody else seen this issue, or know of a way to fix this?

Hi, can you fix your spelling in the title? Premiere is spelled incorrectly. Not trying to be a Jerk but for search sake the typo may omit results. Thanks

paulgp602

Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:29 am

So I just tried to email customersupport@roku.com directly and the email got bounced back to me as an unmonitored email address please don't reply blah blah blah.

So I went to the website and tried to submit a support request using their online method and when I selected Premier + as my product, it indicated that support wasn't available for my product. Really Roku?! 
I had to get creative and try to submit it again but this time I chose Roku Ultra as my product and sure enough it allowed me to submit a request and I told them what was going on with the Premier + and included a link to this topic. I'm sure they will brush me off but it was worth a try.

T_J

Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:05 am

I seem to be the only one posting with a Premiere + (4630X) with NO sound problems (version 8.1.0 build 4159-29). I probably use my Premiere + just like everyone else; except that I have my Premiere + inside a TV stand, setting on top of an unused VCR (VCR has thin metal top, was part of a 1997 DirecTV/VCR setup). I figured it may help keep Roku cooler. ??? This December my Premiere + will have 2 years of everyday use. 
I set my Roku 2 (4210) on a 4"x4"x2" metal electrical box to keep it cooler ($1 at Lowes). 
Last edited by T_J on Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willyum4u

Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:35 am

T_J wrote:
I seem to be the only one posting with a Premiere + with NO sound problems. I probably use my Premiere + just like everyone else; except that I have my Premiere + inside a TV stand, setting on top of an unused VCR (VCR has thin metal top, was part of a 1997 DirecTV/VCR setup). I figured it may help keep Roku cooler. ??? This December my Premiere + will have 2 years of everyday use.
I set my Roku 2 (4210) on a 4"x4"x2" metal electrical box to keep it cooler ($1 at Lowes). 

My Roku sits on nothing that emits heat. And it's been in the same place, like I'm sure everyone else who has this issue, for many months. It has to be something other than a heat issue. But thanks for the reply...