Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

amesgardner3

Re: Roku Premiere+ - No Sound until restart

Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:15 pm

Same issue. Flawlessly worked. Now dropping sound.

rittwage

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:04 am

Yep, 2 months of this now. No update... I agree if this can't be fixed or rolled back to working firmware, we need replacement Rokus.

steprat372

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:36 am

I have had the same issue for the last few months.  Annoying to have to unplug and plug power back in Roku to restart it.  I may start looking for other options, but before this started to be a problem, I have completely enjoyed using my Roku.  Feeling a bit frustrated.

scott1416

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:13 pm

I too have been dealing with the daily restarts because of no sound. I was encouraged the first time I read through this thread about a month ago and saw a ROKU representative recognize that they saw the thread and would be looking into it. 
Well another month of restarting daily has me looking for an update from the rep on when we can expect a fix.
Our ROKUs worked flawlessly since I installed them a year ago, but that last software update really has made the experience on par with the monthly phone calls I used to have with Time Warner about why my bill went up again. 
If I have to chuck my ROKUs, who gets my money next? Technology is great, until it don’t work.

mkb0909

Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:00 pm

Same here. No issues until the last software update. Roku seems to think ignoring the problem is good customer service. This is the last Roku I will buy. Any decent company would post what they are doing to fix the problem.

wingzfan99

Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:36 am

I don't have much to add except a "me too", 4360X P+ running 8.1.0 4159-29. Issue seems to have started in September. It appears to be related to certain commercials in Sling -- the cutoff of audio always corresponds with the beginning of a new commercial. I don't know if there's anything to this, but it seems to happen more often on A&E, HGTV, and DIY than other channels. I know Sling is a mish-mosh of streams from different sources with different ways of handling commercials so maybe there's a common thread with those?

Edit: forgot to mention, it's at least 3x a day right now. My wife has started to seriously doubt my decision to go cord-cutter...

atc98092

Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:52 pm

mkb0909 wrote:
Same here. No issues until the last software update. Roku seems to think ignoring the problem is good customer service. This is the last Roku I will buy. Any decent company would post what they are doing to fix the problem.

You obviously have no experience with Sony or Samsung.  :lol: The both put out updates with zero information about what was fixed/updated. And you have no clue what they are working on. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (2016), and Ultra (2016), Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, CenturyLink DSL

farmchild
Topic Author

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:05 pm

It's now been over 2 months since reporting the problem, and no update from Roku on if any progress has been made, and still no ability to rollback the problematic update.  I'm still dealing with multiple restarts necessary every single day, and going into the holiday season it looks like it's time to pick up a Fire TV or something else in the inevitable sales and just move on from Roku.  I'd encourage everyone else to do the same as it looks like no fix anytime soon will happen, and buying another (currently) working Roku seems like a bad idea as we could just end up in the same situation again next year for new devices with no support again from Roku.

Sunpippin

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:56 am

So I've continued to use my Roku, but have been avoiding the Sling app. Everything else (so far) seems to have no issues with audio dropping out. Hulu, Netflix and other channels seem to be ok. Is this the case for others? Is this perhaps just a Sling issue?

Underoath218

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:06 pm

Sunpippin wrote:
So I've continued to use my Roku, but have been avoiding the Sling app. Everything else (so far) seems to have no issues with audio dropping out. Hulu, Netflix and other channels seem to be ok. Is this the case for others? Is this perhaps just a Sling issue?

I’m starting to think this as well. Not sure why this hasn’t been fixed by whatever party is supposedly working on the issue. Like others have said, this seems to happen primarily when commercials are going on. Not sure why that’s when it happens. It’s a really odd glitch.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:41 pm

We believe the update may resolve the audio issue encountered by certain Sling customers. Please update your player to OS 9.0 and let us know if you continue to experience issues.

To perform a manual update, go to Settings > System > System Update.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

Underoath218

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:09 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
We believe the update may resolve the audio issue encountered by certain Sling customers. Please update your player to OS 9.0 and let us know if you continue to experience issues.

To perform a manual update, go to Settings > System > System Update.

So far, so good. Downloaded the update last night and have not had any sound dropping issues since that time with the SlingTV app.