Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

willyum4u

Re: Roku Primiere+ - No Sound until restart

Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:37 am

paulgp602 wrote:
So I just tried to email customersupport@roku.com directly and the email got bounced back to me as an unmonitored email address please don't reply blah blah blah.

So I went to the website and tried to submit a support request using their online method and when I selected Premier + as my product, it indicated that support wasn't available for my product. Really Roku?! 
I had to get creative and try to submit it again but this time I chose Roku Ultra as my product and sure enough it allowed me to submit a request and I told them what was going on with the Premier + and included a link to this topic. I'm sure they will brush me off but it was worth a try.

The old switcheroo. Great idea, Paul. If this issue doesn't get resolved, it'll be on to another brand for me. 

T_J

Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:22 am

Maybe the heat is not from the surface, but from the Roku. Wood or glass (shelfs) are poor heat conductors while metal is a good heat conductor. 
I'm just saying that I have the same Roku 4630X with the same software (version 8.1.0 build 4159-29), with 5 hours plus use daily for almost 2 years, with NO sound problem and use a metal surface that transmits heat easily. It's worth a shot to set your Roku on something other than wood or glass and see if anything improves. I operated-worked on-troubleshot expensive computer controlled electronic equipment at work for years. You need to keep an open mind when problems pop up, sometimes the cause is not what you want it to be. Troubleshooting involves eliminating possible causes; My Roku 4630X has the same software as many in this thread (version 8.1.0 build 4159-29). 
Last edited by T_J on Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

farmchild
Topic Author

Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:59 pm

paulgp602 wrote:
farmchild wrote:

Hi, can you fix your spelling in the title? Premiere is spelled incorrectly. Not trying to be a Jerk but for search sake the typo may omit results. Thanks

Done - not sure how I messed that up!.  Good to hear that it's not just me having this issue.

Premiere+4630

Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:02 pm

T_J wrote:
Maybe the heat is not from the surface, but from the Roku. Wood or glass (shelfs) are poor heat conductors while metal is a good heat conductor. 
I'm just saying I have the same Roku 4630, the same latest version/build, used 5 hours plus daily for almost 2 years, with NO sound problem and use a metal surface that transmits heat easily. It's worth a shot to set your Roku on something other than wood or glass and see if anything improves. I operated-worked on-troubleshot expensive computer controlled electronic equipment at work for years. You need to keep an open mind when problems pop up, sometimes the cause is not what you want it to be. 

My Premiere had been working perfectly fine for over a year, it has very good airflow around it, not near any heat generating equipment nor in an enclosure. This started with one of the more recent firmware updates.

I'm also a long time professional in the industry at a high level, and know what I'm talking about. If this were some sort of issue with heat, believe me I would've known immediately.

I'm sure that we're all very glad to hear that your device is working fine, but continuously posting the same thing comes across as disputing that the rest of us are having a real issue. Therefore I don't quite see the point of you continuing to post in this thread, since the issue obviously does not affect you.

paulgp602

Re: Roku Premiere+ - No Sound until restart

Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:37 pm

I bought my Premier + in May of 2017 and for it to not be eligible for support on Roku's site (although the Ultra looks coincidentally the same) is discouraging. To me, support after the sale goes a long way and to abandon customers with 17 month old hardware is not cool. 

Dvrslave

Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:33 am

I too have this issue and it just started a week ago I have the 4630 X as well & I've had it a little over a year. I went a week with no issues and then it did it again yesterday and it just happened a few minutes ago. I was at my buddies house yesterday who has the exact same one and he's had it for about a month and his loses sound three to four times every single day & has been doing so for a couple of weeks. I also have an old Roku 2, an old Roku HD, and an old Roku SE & this issue doesn't happen on any of those. When it happened this morning I unplugged it and left it unplugged for over a minute to see if that might clear some cache or something but based on posts from others I'm guessing it's not going to help, but I figured it was worth a try! I can also confirm that it is not a heat issue as the issue happened this morning 3 minutes after I turned it on so the unit wasn't even warm yet.

flwalks

Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:39 pm

Same issue here with model 4630x 8.1.0 Build 4159-29. Posted a comment on a reddit page and was contacted by ROKU support. Same thing happened in June with that update except lost video and got HDCP error. Support had me reset to factory, change HDMI cable, and port on TV. Nothing worked until they did another update a week later. Now they want me to do all the same stuff, I said no that I will sell the ROKU and switch to a Fire stick if this keeps up. Do they even test the updates before release? 

paulgp602

Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:59 am

They test it just enough to release it. Unfortunately, we as consumers have become Beta testers. I see it on everything that I own that runs some form of software (which these-days is most everything electronic that you buy).  

dsristau

Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:21 am

Same issue here. I made a reddit post in the slingtv sub about this problem. I have a Premiere+ causing this issue

Starce

Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:52 am

Same issue. trash update

pcaster

Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:11 pm

Same issue here.  Model 4630X, software version 8.1.0 build 4159-29.  I lose audio frequently, especially when Sling transitions between programming and commercials.  Audio is lost for the device, not just the Sling app, and the only remedy is to restart the Roku.

farmchild
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:38 am

No update from Roku on this?  It's still happening and is becoming very frustrating - I may end up having to replace it with a fire TV or something else as it's looking like this will be my last Roku .  An acknowledgement of the issue or confirmation they were looking into it would be helpful.

Aegius

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:55 am

Same issue with me.  Need to restart the Roku several times a day to get any audio.  Hooked up directly to my Samsung TV.  I also noticed my Samsung KS8000 just had a software update itself.  Seems like it is definitely the Roku Premiere+ and just started occurring a couple weeks ago.  This is the second one that I've had to randomly stop working correctly.

atc98092

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:02 am

Roku never announces what they are working on, and beta testers are under a non-disclosure agreement, so can't mention if something is being addressed. Just something we have to deal with. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (2016), and Ultra (2016), Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, CenturyLink DSL

farmchild
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:13 am

atc98092 wrote:
Roku never announces what they are working on, and beta testers are under a non-disclosure agreement, so can't mention if something is being addressed. Just something we have to deal with. 

So those of us that looks like a software update issued by Roku caused our device to become defective now have no support options (only Ultra has support anymore), and expect to have no idea whether this will ever be addressed in a future update or whether this bug will become permanent?  On top of that, we can't even roll back the update to a previous version so we can keep using our device without this problem?  If this is what we should expect from Roku then I'm definitely never buying another Roku.