Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

wildsprite

Re: [Official] OS 9 Release Notes

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:39 am

hey RokuShawnS can you find out why they removed the volume features from the 4640? this is annoying. I used the night listening often enough that not having it is really making me angry. if this is how Roku is going to treat their old model premium products I'm just not sure I can recommend them anymore. everyone I know comes to me about advice when it comes to streaming media players and up till this point I have been recommending Roku. please fix this Roku

iFrog

Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:09 am

wildsprite wrote:
hey RokuShawnS can you find out why they removed the volume features from the 4640? this is annoying. I used the night listening often enough that not having it is really making me angry. if this is how Roku is going to treat their old model premium products I'm just not sure I can recommend them anymore. everyone I know comes to me about advice when it comes to streaming media players and up till this point I have been recommending Roku. please fix this Roku

The 4640, is the 2016 Ultra correct?  I know the volume options are gone from my 4630 (premiere+), and Streaming Stick 3600R, however my 4660 Has them.  I was curious, as other people with the 2016 Ultra have upgraded to OS 9.0.0, and have not reported the audio options missing.  In my experience it's been the Premiere+ users (including myself.)

wildsprite

Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:25 am

yes the 4640 is the 2016 ultra, I'm not going to move to the 2017 or 2018 ultra, they removed optical audio out and cut the channel memory in half in those. which is ok if you don't have a lot of channels but I do. and no a micro SD is not a solution, the built in memory is much faster

iFrog

Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:24 am

wildsprite wrote:
yes the 4640 is the 2016 ultra, I'm not going to move to the 2017 or 2018 ultra, they removed optical audio out and cut the channel memory in half in those. which is ok if you don't have a lot of channels but I do. and no a micro SD is not a solution, the built in memory is much faster

OK, My needs are different, so I haven't noticed any of the issues others have reported, and personally I'm glad the optical port, and Dolby encoder is gone.  In my setup it caused issues with the TV, and Roku trying to both do the same thing.  Now The TV handles converting DD+ to standard DD, and I Have the TV's optical out connected to the sound bar so all connected devices pass through.  Plus I have a Sony Android TV as my 4K display and it can pass all standard formats (DD, and DTS 5.1) through optical.  If I want lossless audio I use the Sony X700 which has two HDMI outs, and then has the same Streaming Services I use on the Roku that can pass DD+.  I mainly still hold onto Roku as a product for the unique channels other devices don't have, plus overall it's a good platform, though for other features I like, other products are better.
That's another reason the loss of the audio options on the Premiere+ doesn't personally bug me, I have the same feature in the sound receiver itself, and that's usually what I use. (if I use it at all)

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:58 am

wildsprite wrote:

https://support.roku.com/article/228844 ... ease-notes
Key Roku OS 9 features:

• Automatic Volume Leveling – This feature enables a uniform audio level across various types of content, so it will no longer feel jarring when a commercial comes on or when streaming channels are changed. This feature can be turned on/off within the Volume Mode setting that appears in the options menu after pressing the Star button Image during video playback. Automatic Volume Leveling is available on select Roku streaming players and Roku TV models. Click here for more information on Automatic Volume Leveling and supported devices.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

Crow550
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:29 am

@RokuShawnS

Yup not an option on the 4630X. Tried various video channels and hitting *. No Advanced sound settings at all.

Which also means even the previous Night Mode is gone. Nothing, nada, zippo. 

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:37 am

And you're doing this during playback but still not seeing it?  If I remember correctly, it should come up on a sidebar.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

iFrog

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:41 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
And you're doing this during playback but still not seeing it?  If I remember correctly, it should come up on a sidebar.

You are correct Shawn, the options do come up as an overlay on the side.  However, on Certain models, such as the 2016 Premiere+, and also the 2016 Ultra (it sounds like) the advanced audio options aren't present.  I've compared my 2017 Ultra, and 2016 Premiere+, both are on OS 9, and only the 2017 Ultra (for me) has the advanced audio options called "Audio Mode" with options to the right with left and right arrows to toggle back and forth between.

Crow550

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:47 am

Right, right. Sidebar appears just the option is gone. As someone who used night mode a few times.... Yeah that option no longer exists. 

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:48 am

And it's across all channels?
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

Crow550

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:53 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
And it's across all channels?

Yes. Including the major ones like Netflix, Hulu & such. 

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:55 am

I'll check with the team.

*Edit* While I'm doing that, go ahead and post/re-post serial numbers and your firmware version and build for easier reference.  Thanks.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

Crow550

Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:14 pm

PM'd to ya Shawn. ;)

stormy13

Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:50 pm

Just to weigh in here that my Premier 4620X updated last night to OS9 (build 4084-29), and just like everyone else posting here, no longer have night mode as an option on any channel (Netflix, Prime Video, etc). Funny thing is that it was available on OS8.1 before the update.

Nothing better than advertising a new feature that depending on device we already had, only to get it taken away by an OS update.

Oh and one more thing. First time I have ever had it happen across at least 3 different Roku's, when I got up this morning it was frozen and had to pull the plug to reboot to get it working again.

Almost makes me afraid of what might happen to an older Roku 3 (4200) I have if and when it gets updated.

Crow550

Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:31 pm

@Shawn sent the additional info.