Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

iFrog

Re: [Official] OS 9 Release Notes

Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:27 pm

Premiere+4630 wrote:
iFrog wrote:
I'm curious whether or not the people complaining about this have some kind of audio receiver or not, vs TV speakers.  The receiver probably has better options, then the Roku feature, and it's probably just as easy, if not more so to use then Roku's implementation.  I can understand if TV speakers are the only audio source here, but if you have an AVR / Sound bar with a night feature, does it really matter which device enables it?

It matters first and foremost because Roku advertised the Night Listening Mode as a feature for these devices, and it worked perfectly fine for over a year until OS 9 came along. Clearly the hardware platform supports the feature, so there was no conceivable reason to remove it in the latest OS/firmware update.

It also matters because having more options is always better than having less options. Not everyone has an AVR or TV capable of its own native "night mode", and thus the Roku is likely the only way they can achieve that.

I happen to have my Roku connected to a Sony AVR, which does indeed have a native night mode. I choose not to use it for at least two reasons: 1) I generally only care about having the Roku in night mode, not other input sources, and 2) I hardly ever touch the AVR remote, and so I'd have to reach for it just to enable/disable the AVR's night mode. I use only the Roku remote when watching the Roku, which allows me to control the AVR volume, as well as easily enable/disable night mode.

People are "complaining" about this feature removal for valid reasons. While I don't believe you are defending Roku, and your tips for checking if the AVR/TV have their own native night mode might be helpful for some...the overall vibe you're putting out in this thread is more or less "I don't use it, so what's the big deal?" Please, don't be that guy.

I understand all your points here, and while I don't use it myself, as you are correct, if you  read in context my original post / question it was strictly directed to people with AVRs, or TVs with a night mode, and I was saying that I could understand why people are complaining if the Roku is their only option.  For me there are other things that bug me about Roku, and that's why I have Apple TVs as alternative streamers, because  for the most part Apple lives up to their promises, though sometimes they also fall short.

rey_1178

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:06 am

So my roku updated again to
9.0.0 build 4083 and I now lost HDR again. Please fix. I like your product and have 3 rokus in the house but to not enjoy HDR on my ultra after having it is unacceptable. I can no longer revert to OS 8.1

beancrisp

Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:09 pm

I too have lost night listening after the update. I sent the Roku Twiiter supprt page a PM and after some back and forth they said they would send me a email from their support team, but instead I got an email from justanswer.com that I have to pay $5.00 just to ask a question. What is the deal with that?

Boneyjr

Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:45 pm

beancrisp wrote:
I too have lost night listening after the update. I sent the Roku Twiiter supprt page a PM and after some back and forth they said they would send me a email from their support team, but instead I got an email from justanswer.com that I have to pay $5.00 just to ask a question. What is the deal with that?

Wow... I hope there was some confusion on the Roku end. 

atc98092

Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:29 pm

beancrisp wrote:

That is someone trying to scam you. Ignore it. Roku does not charge for customer support. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

wildsprite

Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:29 pm

beancrisp wrote:

are you certain all of those messages were private? lots of people on twitter, bound to be a few scammers watching the roku support page

Reaxions

Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:59 am

I have three Roku Ultras, all purchased within the past six months. After the update to OS 9, all three of them are having issues in my dedicated theater environment (I have tested all three in that environment to better diagnose the problems). They have all recently been updated to OS 9, and I hadn't previously experienced a single issue with any of my Roku Ultras in any environment until the release of OS 9.

The issues I'm having are the following:
1) Suspected new HDCP Compliance issue causing video to drop out for extended periods of time; anywhere from 3-30 seconds each time. The video only comes back up for a maximum of 5 seconds before dropping out again. I suspect it's an HDCP issue because at one point, it briefly flashed an HDCP error message, but the video didn't last long enough to read it in any detail, and the HDCP Error message hasn't reappeared since then. This is only an issue in my dedicated theater, which is the only setup in the house running 4K/HDR. Nothing else was changed (hardware, cables, settings, other component updates, etc.) in the environment which could have caused the issue with the Roku. As an exercise in futility, I have tried switching all HDMI cables (all are new and certified HDCP 2.2 compliant) to no avail. In the theater, the Roku Ultra is connected directly to a Marantz AV8802A processor (which has the most current firmware, and hasn't changed in at least nine months) via HDMI, which is then connected directly to an Epson 6040UB projector (which has the most current firmware, and hasn't changed in at least a year) via HDMI. Both the Marantz and Epson are HDCP 2.2 compliant, as are all HDMI interconnects. Further, none of the other components which are connected to the Marantz and Epson (Xbox One X, Chromecast Ultra, etc.), all of which are also HDCP 2.2 compliant, are having any of the video dropout issues.

2) As has been mentioned previously in this thread, my Logitech Harmony Ultimate will frequently lose connectivity to the Roku Ultra, so the Roku won't always respond to commands from the Harmony remote. The Harmony remote acknowledges the new connectivity issue with an error message when it occurs.

Please quickly fix these issues, as my Roku Ultra has quickly become an expensive paperweight in my theater, and I never signed up to be a beta tester. We always have massive bowl game parties over the next few weeks of the college football season, and I'm currently being forced to stream everything through my Xbox One X (which is extremely painful; hence the reason I bought the Roku Ultra). Alternatively, please allow me to roll back to the previous OS until you've resolved these issues. Thanks.

iFrog

Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:54 am

Reaxions wrote:
I have three Roku Ultras, all purchased within the past six months. After the update to OS 9, all three of them are having issues in my dedicated theater environment (I have tested all three in that environment to better diagnose the problems). They have all recently been updated to OS 9, and I hadn't previously experienced a single issue with any of my Roku Ultras in any environment until the release of OS 9.

The issues I'm having are the following:
1) Suspected new HDCP Compliance issue causing video to drop out for extended periods of time; anywhere from 3-30 seconds each time. The video only comes back up for a maximum of 5 seconds before dropping out again. I suspect it's an HDCP issue because at one point, it briefly flashed an HDCP error message, but the video didn't last long enough to read it in any detail, and the HDCP Error message hasn't reappeared since then. This is only an issue in my dedicated theater, which is the only setup in the house running 4K/HDR. Nothing else was changed (hardware, cables, settings, other component updates, etc.) in the environment which could have caused the issue with the Roku. As an exercise in futility, I have tried switching all HDMI cables (all are new and certified HDCP 2.2 compliant) to no avail. In the theater, the Roku Ultra is connected directly to a Marantz AV8802A processor (which has the most current firmware, and hasn't changed in at least nine months) via HDMI, which is then connected directly to an Epson 6040UB projector (which has the most current firmware, and hasn't changed in at least a year) via HDMI. Both the Marantz and Epson are HDCP 2.2 compliant, as are all HDMI interconnects. Further, none of the other components which are connected to the Marantz and Epson (Xbox One X, Chromecast Ultra, etc.), all of which are also HDCP 2.2 compliant, are having any of the video dropout issues.

2) As has been mentioned previously in this thread, my Logitech Harmony Ultimate will frequently lose connectivity to the Roku Ultra, so the Roku won't always respond to commands from the Harmony remote. The Harmony remote acknowledges the new connectivity issue with an error message when it occurs.

Please quickly fix these issues, as my Roku Ultra has quickly become an expensive paperweight in my theater, and I never signed up to be a beta tester. We always have massive bowl game parties over the next few weeks of the college football season, and I'm currently being forced to stream everything through my Xbox One X (which is extremely painful; hence the reason I bought the Roku Ultra). Alternatively, please allow me to roll back to the previous OS until you've resolved these issues. Thanks.

Must be something specific to the setup.  I used to have HDCP issues with my Roku units as well, and that was directly connected to the TV (4K setup).  For the last few versions, things have been ok here in that regard.  The only issue I've seen lately, and it's more of an issue to others here then me personally, is the night listening feature loss on older device models.
Do you know how to use the Roku secret screens? sometimes you can roll back firmware from there vs the software update option in settings.

Crow550
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:58 pm

iFrog wrote:
Premiere+4630 wrote:
iFrog wrote:
I'm curious whether or not the people complaining about this have some kind of audio receiver or not, vs TV speakers.  The receiver probably has better options, then the Roku feature, and it's probably just as easy, if not more so to use then Roku's implementation.  I can understand if TV speakers are the only audio source here, but if you have an AVR / Sound bar with a night feature, does it really matter which device enables it?

It matters first and foremost because Roku advertised the Night Listening Mode as a feature for these devices, and it worked perfectly fine for over a year until OS 9 came along. Clearly the hardware platform supports the feature, so there was no conceivable reason to remove it in the latest OS/firmware update.

It also matters because having more options is always better than having less options. Not everyone has an AVR or TV capable of its own native "night mode", and thus the Roku is likely the only way they can achieve that.

I happen to have my Roku connected to a Sony AVR, which does indeed have a native night mode. I choose not to use it for at least two reasons: 1) I generally only care about having the Roku in night mode, not other input sources, and 2) I hardly ever touch the AVR remote, and so I'd have to reach for it just to enable/disable the AVR's night mode. I use only the Roku remote when watching the Roku, which allows me to control the AVR volume, as well as easily enable/disable night mode.

People are "complaining" about this feature removal for valid reasons. While I don't believe you are defending Roku, and your tips for checking if the AVR/TV have their own native night mode might be helpful for some...the overall vibe you're putting out in this thread is more or less "I don't use it, so what's the big deal?" Please, don't be that guy.

I understand all your points here, and while I don't use it myself, as you are correct, if you  read in context my original post / question it was strictly directed to people with AVRs, or TVs with a night mode, and I was saying that I could understand why people are complaining if the Roku is their only option.  For me there are other things that bug me about Roku, and that's why I have Apple TVs as alternative streamers, because  for the most part Apple lives up to their promises, though sometimes they also fall short.

Yeah the issue is promising features then trying to quietly undo them and remove a previous feature in the process. 

I understand what you're saying about AVRs having features like those but a good % of people don't and volume levels between Roku content and Ads has been an annoying issue so many were looking forward to the volume leveling feature.

Roku should have came out and said it way before they listed those models. They should make good on the previous promise especially since the previous listed models are capable of handling it! 

That's the big stink here. You suggesting people use the AVR instead does not help the principle of the issue here. 

Hawkie

Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:38 pm

I have the same problem as Reaxions. I have a similar setup using the same projector (the European version called tw9300) and a Denon receiver. Up until the new os version I was able to send 4k video from roku to my projector. Not anymore. I tried to watch "Bird Box" last night but had big issues withe image now showing up on the screen. Same issues described above. The image would come and go every 3 seconds. I was able to watch the movie by manually setting the display in roku as Full HD instead of 4k @30hz as it was before. It's a pity you cannot go back to previous software version. They messed up my setup and looks I'm not the only one.

Howser

Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:34 am

The audio for my Roku4 - 4400X is set up up using the optical to the AVR. Video direct via HDMI to the screen. No sound via optical after the Dec 13th system update to version 9.0.0 Build 4084-17. Because the audio is set up to auto detect, I had to disconnect the optical cable in order for sound to get sent to the TV. Sad thing is the TV sound is no comparison to surround AVR. Night mode isn't a concern.
Unfortunate results on the update. Gotta love technology, what problems are you fixing and what new problems are you creating. Who benefits?  Let's hope Roku learns the good and bad results from their decisions. The apparent reduced testing done before a release might be a step they might not want to skip next time. Let's hope it's a quick fix. Cheers.

Boneyjr

Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:33 am

Still waiting for a response. 

Steven547

Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:58 am

I can no longer connect to the internet using wired.  I have reset everything and nothing works...??

Crow550
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:31 pm

I think you'll need to wait till after the Holidays. Most people at Roku are on vacation. 

Why they decided now to drop OS9 before the Holidays was a bad idea. 

paulc

Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:28 pm

Anyone else lost the ability to adjust the volume of the remote attached headphones? Mine are stuck at too low a volume, this has been working flawlessly for years.

I've tried factory reset and updating remote firmware - without luck. The remote keys are working fine - verified by secret menu, and the main unit's LED flashes when pressing them.
Model 2720X, 9.0.0, build 4084. 
Support page doesn't seem to cater for older models?