Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

iFrog

Re: [Official] OS 9 Release Notes

Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:21 am

Doctor Manhattan wrote:
iFrog wrote:
I was curious if there was something in common with the people experiencing the loss of multi-channel audio here...

I just went into my 4640's audio settings for the first time since the OS upgrade. Audio was set to "Auto". I changed it to "DD+/DTS", but I haven't run anything through the AVR yet so I don't know whether or not this fixed my problem.

Hopefully it will.  Roku has some really strange bugs at times.  Even just following this thread the last few weeks shows that the only thing in common to my setup and other people's here is: I lost the night listening options on the older Premiere+.  Rewind about a year ago, and when I was having audio issues, and other things going on.  No one else really had an answer.
My thoughts at this time seem to be, the Roku Players are geared more to average people, who want a cable replacement, and while they work for those of us who want something more advanced, aren't always the right choice.  Plus it tends to bring out more of the strange bugs, the more you try to do with the device.  I wonder if the Roku TVs are any better then the external boxes.  I've never owned a Roku TV, so I can't answer that question directly.

atc98092

Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:58 am

My 4640 is streaming multi-channel audio, both DD and DTS, from my DLNA server. I know it's not the server that's making any changes to the audio, as the profiles are not causing any transcoding. I can even change audio tracks if the stream has more than one. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

hackztor

Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:47 pm

iFrog wrote:
Doctor Manhattan wrote:
iFrog wrote:
I was curious if there was something in common with the people experiencing the loss of multi-channel audio here...

I just went into my 4640's audio settings for the first time since the OS upgrade. Audio was set to "Auto". I changed it to "DD+/DTS", but I haven't run anything through the AVR yet so I don't know whether or not this fixed my problem.

Hopefully it will.  Roku has some really strange bugs at times.  Even just following this thread the last few weeks shows that the only thing in common to my setup and other people's here is: I lost the night listening options on the older Premiere+.  Rewind about a year ago, and when I was having audio issues, and other things going on.  No one else really had an answer.
My thoughts at this time seem to be, the Roku Players are geared more to average people, who want a cable replacement, and while they work for those of us who want something more advanced, aren't always the right choice.  Plus it tends to bring out more of the strange bugs, the more you try to do with the device.  I wonder if the Roku TVs are any better then the external boxes.  I've never owned a Roku TV, so I can't answer that question directly.

Roku was early to the market with 4k (2 years before Apple TV), but then let Apple TV slip past them with 4k, Atmos, Dolby Vision and then Roku failed to deliver a real upgrade this year. JBL headphones...really roku? But yes you are correct Roku is for the average person not advanced. Most advanced people went Nvidia Shield for the HD audio codecs.

Fronkle

Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:19 pm

I have decided to bin all of my Roku devices in favour of Firesticks. Roku is more concerned with keeping appmakers like Netflix happy than its customers. Its use of hard DNS addresses makes it difficult to customise settings. I will no longer buy Roku. End of.

waxedfish

Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:24 am

You know my Roku was working fine with PSVUE until i did the update to OS 9, Dec 13, 2018 now i can not stream it buffers and stays buffering
I hate the new UI when i hit guide and go to a channel i should just go to the channel not be asked if DVR or live tv i was in guide looking at live tv so take me to live tv

Roku
Software Version 9.0.0
Build 4048-29
Updated Dec 13, 2019
Model 4630x

DBDukes

Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:36 am

waxedfish wrote:
You know my Roku was working fine with PSVUE until i did the update to OS 9, Dec 13, 2018 now i can not stream it buffers and stays buffering
I hate the new UI when i hit guide and go to a channel i should just go to the channel not be asked if DVR or live tv i was in guide looking at live tv so take me to live tv

Roku
Software Version 9.0.0
Build 4048-29
Updated Dec 13, 2019
Model 4630x

Roku isn’t driving that in-app functionality. Sony is.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

Boneyjr

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:54 pm

When will night listening return?

atc98092

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:03 pm

Boneyjr wrote:
When will night listening return?

Roku has confirmed it was a bug and will be fixed in a future update. When, we have no idea. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

iFrog

Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:55 am

Good to hear about the Bug acknowledgment:  I was curious if anyone else has experienced  occasional complete Audio loss from a Premiere+ (2016 model) under OS 9?  Usually I don't have a problem, but a couple times lately, I've went to watch something on Netflix, and there is no audio.  Originally though the sound bar needed to be power cycled, but, that hasn't happened in a long time, and turns out it was the Roku, after a restart, sound was back.  The problem hasn't been severe enough to really make a big complaint about it, just wondering if anyone else has experienced it.

RokuTannerD

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:17 pm

@iFrog - Thanks for the observation. A few quick questions here: 

- Which model of Roku device are you using? What is the make/model of both the TV & soundbar you are using? 
- Does this occur when you first launch the channel, or during playback of content? 
- When did you last observe the issue occurring? (date/time) 
- Is Netflix the only channel you've observed the issue with, or has it occurred while watching other channels?
- Do you, or have you, used private listening prior to noticing there is no audio? 
- Does this occur without the soundbar (or A/V receiver of any sort) being used? i.e. TV connected directly to your TV?

Feel free to PM me with your Roku device ESN (serial number) from Settings>System>About and the details above and I'll pass them along to the team to take a look. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

iFrog

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:14 pm

RokuTannerDB wrote:
@iFrog - Thanks for the observation. A few quick questions here: 

- Which model of Roku device are you using? What is the make/model of both the TV & soundbar you are using? 
- Does this occur when you first launch the channel, or during playback of content? 
- When did you last observe the issue occurring? (date/time) 
- Is Netflix the only channel you've observed the issue with, or has it occurred while watching other channels?
- Do you, or have you, used private listening prior to noticing there is no audio? 
- Does this occur without the soundbar (or A/V receiver of any sort) being used? i.e. TV connected directly to your TV?

Feel free to PM me with your Roku device ESN (serial number) from Settings>System>About and the details above and I'll pass them along to the team to take a look. 

Thanks,
Tanner

Tanner, I have just sent you a PM with the requested information.

rckmnr

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:30 pm

waxedfish wrote:

Roku
Software Version 9.0.0
Build 4048-29
Updated Dec 13, 2019
Model 4630x

I have the exact same problem. ESPN seems to be the worst, but I've seen it on CNN, Fox Sports, etc.
Roku 3
2 Roku Sticks
Chromecast
WDTV Live

dwgsp

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:33 pm

It would be great if someone affiliated with Roku would acknowledge that they are aware of the the audio & display issues that some of us have reported here.  Such as my report:

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 35#p627862

Regards!

iFrog

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:27 am

dwgsp wrote:
It would be great if someone affiliated with Roku would acknowledge that they are aware of the the audio & display issues that some of us have reported here.  Such as my report:

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 35#p627862

Regards!

They are aware, and have acknowledged some items being discussed here.  When I asked about the loss of audio Tanner, who is affiliated with Roku responded and asked me to PM him with details.  When I did, and mentioned  about the night listening mode options being gone as well, he said that they have acknowledged the problem and a fix is coming in an upcoming update.
Maybe message hime your issues with your Roku serial model, and OS version.  @atc98092, also publicly posted that Roku had confirmed some of the issues were a known bug, and a fix was coming in a future update.  So, whether or not they know about the video issues, all you can do is ask / report, but it's been documented a few times the audio issues are known to some degree.

Howser

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:08 pm

Howser wrote:
The audio for my Roku4 - 4400X is set up up using the optical to the AVR. Video direct via HDMI to the screen. No sound via optical after the Dec 13th system update to version 9.0.0 Build 4084-17. Because the audio is set up to auto detect, I had to disconnect the optical cable in order for sound to get sent to the TV. Sad thing is the TV sound is no comparison to surround AVR. Night mode isn't a concern.
Unfortunate results on the update. Gotta love technology, what problems are you fixing and what new problems are you creating. Who benefits?  Let's hope Roku learns the good and bad results from their decisions. The apparent reduced testing done before a release might be a step they might not want to skip next time. Let's hope it's a quick fix. Cheers.

Just posting an update on the results of the latest automatic system update performed on Jan 14th. No changes to Version (9.0.0) or to Build (4087) for the Model 4400X Roku 4 system. It's HDMI connected to a Sharp Aquos TV and digitally to a Denon AVR-1706 receiver. AVR is still not recognizing a digital signal using optical. Even tested another optical cable. I'm only getting sound through the HDMI. Tried multiple options for the audio setting on the Roku with no success. Finally left Audio setting at Auto Detect. Beginning to get frustrated. Any status updates would be appreciated. Thanks