Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Premiere+4630

Re: [Official] OS 9 Release Notes

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:05 pm

So apparently that support article I linked to previously regarding the volume modes (Automatic Volume Leveling, Night Mode) was quietly revised yesterday to remove the 2016 Premiere 4620 and Premiere+ 4630 models, which were absolutely both listed on there since last month.

So I guess that's Roku's official "response" to this issue of no longer having Night Mode available on some of the 2016-2017 models (4620, 4630, 4640)...just edit the article and screw those of us who own these models that are just as capable or more capable than most of the current lineup?

What a BS way to handle this issue. All three of those models had Night Mode for ages and it worked perfectly well in OS 8.x, so I find it extremely hard to believe that the feature couldn't be retained in OS 9 for those models.

I also find it disappointing that Shawn was asking us to send in our device info for the past few days, but hasn't commented on the fact that the article was revised, so we're just stuck in limbo with Roku showing no respect to its customers. Just buy one of the new products that has these features, I guess is their sales tactic, huh?

Crow550
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:48 pm

This is certainly disheartening to hear. 

It would be a first time that Roku had removed a feature that was already added more so one that was promised for quite some time. We went from night mode to being promised audio leveling mode to losing both.... 

I hope this is a fluke and it gets added considering the Premiere+ is just an Ultra without the USB port and enhanced remote. 

All we can do is let Roku know we're upset about this and hope they make things right.... 

It does feel like a lump of coal this time of year for sure.... They should be more transparent on what features what model gets not make promises then quietly retract them. BS.

This is not cool. 

wildsprite

Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:29 pm

at this point I would much like to downgrade back to OS 8.1 thanks...alas thanks to Roku that wont happen unless either some clever hacker finds a way to do it or Roku support can and is allowed to :( needless to say while I do like some of the cosmetic changes I'm not happy about losing night listening mode and not gaining auto volume ....thanks for this Roku. it honestly feels like a huge slap in the face to me as I have been consistently recommending your products. I'm not sure I'll be doing that in the future if this is what you are going to do with your previous gen premium models with each OS upgrade. I really hope you change your minds on this stupid move as I really would like to continue to recommend you but at the moment I feel like recommending you is a bad idea.

Premiere+4630 wrote:
So apparently that support article I linked to previously regarding the volume modes (Automatic Volume Leveling, Night Mode) was quietly revised yesterday to remove the 2016 Premiere 4620 and Premiere+ 4630 models, which were absolutely both listed on there since last month.

my guess is the removal of those premiere models was more due to a typo than anything else. else how do they explain not having the 4640 also in that list? of course I hope the removal of night listening mode was a mistake they will fix in a future patch else that is really going to upset me more so than I am already

Premiere+4630 wrote:
I also find it disappointing that Shawn was asking us to send in our device info for the past few days, but hasn't commented on the fact that the article was revised, so we're just stuck in limbo with Roku showing no respect to its customers.

I think he is probably on one of his days off or something. I suspect he will respond when he can
Last edited by wildsprite on Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crow550

Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:37 pm

Right this does leave a bad taste. All we do is wait to hear an official word about this from Roku. Keep buggin Roku's social media about it. 

I'm sure Shawn is just thrilled about this but maybe he can help make this wrong a right. 

Premiere+4630

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:47 pm

I want to clarify that Shawn is obviously not the problem here. In fact he is always very forthcoming when he is permitted to be. Roku obviously has policies in place that stipulate what he can and cannot say publicly, so I wasn't meaning to poop all over him personally. I have reached out to him personally to express that, and he is not unsympathetic to this issue with volume modes. That's all I'm going to say publicly about that.

stormy13

Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:19 am

Funny how my 4620 had night mode and is even advertised as such,

yet after the update to OS9, it isn't there anymore.

crom99

Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:36 am

stormy13 wrote:
Funny how my 4620 had night mode and is even advertised as such,
yet after the update to OS9, it isn't there anymore.

What’s the implication here? That it was removed in hopes that you would upgrade your hardware or buy their speakers? I hope that isn’t the case because that just screams class action lawsuit.

iFrog

Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:45 am

I'm curious whether or not the people complaining about this have some kind of audio receiver or not, vs TV speakers.  The receiver probably has better options, then the Roku feature, and it's probably just as easy, if not more so to use then Roku's implementation.  I can understand if TV speakers are the only audio source here, but if you have an AVR / Sound bar with a night feature, does it really matter which device enables it?

wildsprite

Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:52 am

iFrog wrote:
I'm curious whether or not the people complaining about this have some kind of audio receiver or not, vs TV speakers.  The receiver probably has better options, then the Roku feature, and it's probably just as easy, if not more so to use then Roku's implementation.  I can understand if TV speakers are the only audio source here, but if you have an AVR / Sound bar with a night feature, does it really matter which device enables it?

I use a soundbar and no it doesn't have the ability for night listening mode(or anything like it), it can do a rather lousy fake surround sound or regular stereo. I'm curious at this particular moment if you work for Roku or not and why it feels like you are defending their removal of this feature. it isn't like they decided to remove from a next model. they removed from a model a feature they used to sell it in their feature list. not to mention that the 2016 model premiere, premiere+ and Ultra are superior devices to their next gen models, asking us to downgrade while the devices still function is absurd

iFrog

Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:12 am

wildsprite wrote:
iFrog wrote:

I use a soundbar and no it doesn't have the ability for night listening mode(or anything like it), it can do a rather lousy fake surround sound or regular stereo. I'm curious at this particular moment if you work for Roku or not and why it feels like you are defending their removal of this feature. it isn't like they decided to remove from a next model. they removed from a model a feature they used to sell it in their feature list. not to mention that the 2016 model premiere, premiere+ and Ultra are superior devices to their next gen models, asking us to downgrade while the devices still function is absurd

I don't work for Roku, nor was I defending their decision to remove the feature.  I just have some experience with home theater, and I also  post on the AVS forum thread for the Roku, and many people there have high end AVR units with features like this.  I personally have Vizio Sound bars that are true 5.1 and have the feature.  So, in those setups, it really doesn't matter if the Roku has the feature directly or not, since the sound device does. My intention on asking the question was to find out how technical people are here, and if they  had other options.
In my case the night mode for my sound bars turns off bass, so the subwoofer doesn't fire, and it reduces dynamic range so everything is more at an even volume.
Also understand, I usually deal with higher end products and companies such as Apple, and Google, Sony, to name a few.  So, I don't have the same expectations from a company such Roku as I do the others.

wildsprite

Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:37 am

iFrog wrote:
nor was I defending their decision to remove the feature.

my apologies if I offended. it's just that they actually used "Night Mode" as one of the selling points of the 2016 Premiere, Premiere+ and, Ultra models. I used this feature frequently.

Boneyjr

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:11 pm

Created an account to join the chorus of unhappy customers. Night listening was a critical feature for so many of us. This needs to be responded to. 

Crow550

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:32 pm

Boneyjr wrote:
Created an account to join the chorus of unhappy customers. Night listening was a critical feature for so many of us. This needs to be responded to. 

Sure getting night listening back is one thing but really we should get all the features we were promised for awhile now and were waiting for the 9.0 update.
This is bogus.

iFrog

Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:43 pm

wildsprite wrote:
iFrog wrote:
nor was I defending their decision to remove the feature.

my apologies if I offended. it's just that they actually used "Night Mode" as one of the selling points of the 2016 Premiere, Premiere+ and, Ultra models. I used this feature frequently.

Not a problem, no you didn't offend me.  I  didn't intend to even come across that way.  I was just simply saying, that if people here had an audio receiver with a night mode, then having it removed from Roku, isn't a big deal because whoever had the feature in their audio hardware could still use it, and chances are it would probably do more / work better.

Premiere+4630

Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:01 pm

iFrog wrote:

It matters first and foremost because Roku advertised the Night Listening Mode as a feature for these devices, and it worked perfectly fine for over a year until OS 9 came along. Clearly the hardware platform supports the feature, so there was no conceivable reason to remove it in the latest OS/firmware update.

It also matters because having more options is always better than having less options. Not everyone has an AVR or TV capable of its own native "night mode", and thus the Roku is likely the only way they can achieve that.

I happen to have my Roku connected to a Sony AVR, which does indeed have a native night mode. I choose not to use it for at least two reasons: 1) I generally only care about having the Roku in night mode, not other input sources, and 2) I hardly ever touch the AVR remote, and so I'd have to reach for it just to enable/disable the AVR's night mode. I use only the Roku remote when watching the Roku, which allows me to control the AVR volume, as well as easily enable/disable night mode.

People are "complaining" about this feature removal for valid reasons. While I don't believe you are defending Roku, and your tips for checking if the AVR/TV have their own native night mode might be helpful for some...the overall vibe you're putting out in this thread is more or less "I don't use it, so what's the big deal?" Please, don't be that guy.