Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

tbg1

Re: [Official] OS 9 Release Notes

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:59 am

Three Roku 3's and one Roku Ultra (just purchased), and none of them have updated to OS 9.0 !!!!!   So much for being a loyal customer!  Getting extremely frustrated with Roku!  Also, poor communication on the rollout!  Just terrible customer relations!

DBDukes

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:09 am

tbg1 wrote:
Three Roku 3's and one Roku Ultra (just purchased), and none of them have updated to OS 9.0 !!!!!   So much for being a loyal customer!  Getting extremely frustrated with Roku!  Also, poor communication on the rollout!  Just terrible customer relations!

As stated in the other thread where you said basically the same thing, Roku said rollout would be from November through the next quarter. They’ve done all major releases this way. Perhaps you got the other releases (8, 7, 6) earlier in the rollout period. Spoiled you, apparently. This is how it’s always been.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

mike.s

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:34 am

tbg1 wrote:

I'm sure Roku is extremely frustrated with customers who can't read ("Roku OS 9 will begin rolling out to select Roku streaming players starting today and is expected to rollout to all supported streaming players by the end of the year."). But they can't say it, so I will. Just terrible customers.

Stu778

Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:01 pm

Any news on a UK release date for the Roku Express to get OS 9 ?

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:56 am

Stu778 wrote:

The release mentions no distinction regarding U.S. and U.K. releases. It's not addressed. I would assume that 9.0 is rolling out worldwide. And, it's not necessarily by device. You may get it on your Express before others. Or others may get it before you.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku 2 (4210), Roku Stick (3600)
Apple TV (4th gen), Fire TV, TiVo, Android TV (MiBox)

Previous:
Roku generation 1, 2, 3, & 4 boxes.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd gen)

DBDukes

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:01 am

Stu778 wrote:

The Roku release says "all streaming players by the end of the year." So, you should get it prior to January 1, 2019.

https://blog.roku.com/os-9-release-notes
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

dboff01

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:23 pm

Roku Streaming Stick+ Model: 3810RW
Software Version 9.0.0 build 4072-50 (upgraded 11/19/18)
Serial No. YH0042144187

My logitech harmony hub has lost the ability to control the Roku since the update to OS 9 last night.  When attempting to reconfigure the hub and rescan my network, it is unable to detect and enable IP control of the Roku Streaming Stick+ on my network.  Note that the hub software when scanning is consistently detecting another Roku streaming stick I have elsewhere in the house (and still running version 8 of the OS).  All else seems to be working since the upgrade, including the Roku remote (which I never use).  Has something related to network IP control of the Roku changed with this version of the OS?

averagepc

Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:23 pm

Were there any fixes in v 9.0?

In particular the resetting to "auto detect" display settings issue?

And issues with hdcp error messages?

Thanks.

atc98092

Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:29 am

averagepc wrote:
Were there any fixes in v 9.0?

In particular the resetting to "auto detect" display settings issue?

And issues with hdcp error messages?

Thanks.

The occasional HDCP errors that I was seeing went away with 9.0. I've always used auto-detect, so no idea if that's changed. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (2016), and Ultra (2016), Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, CenturyLink DSL

dboff01

Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:01 pm

dboff01 wrote:
Serial No. YH0042144187

My logitech harmony hub has lost the ability to control the Roku since the update to OS 9 last night.  When attempting to reconfigure the hub and rescan my network, it is unable to detect and enable IP control of the Roku Streaming Stick+ on my network.  Note that the hub software when scanning is consistently detecting another Roku streaming stick I have elsewhere in the house (and still running version 8 of the OS).  All else seems to be working since the upgrade, including the Roku remote (which I never use).  Has something related to network IP control of the Roku changed with this version of the OS?

I seem to have resolved this issue through multiple rounds of reset on my home networking gear.  It seems the Roku was somehow assigned a local IP address and could stream from all channels, but my router was reporting that IP address was unassigned.  This was preventing network discovery on both the Roku app and Harmony app from working.  Once I made sure my Roku was assigned a proper IP from my router's perspective, network discovery worked with both apps, and I'm not up and running again with the Harmony.  Sorry for the false alarm.

dboff01

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:27 am

dboff01 wrote:
dboff01 wrote:
Serial No. YH0042144187

I seem to have resolved this issue through multiple rounds of reset on my home networking gear.  It seems the Roku was somehow assigned a local IP address and could stream from all channels, but my router was reporting that IP address was unassigned.  This was preventing network discovery on both the Roku app and Harmony app from working.  Once I made sure my Roku was assigned a proper IP from my router's perspective, network discovery worked with both apps, and I'm not up and running again with the Harmony.  Sorry for the false alarm.

So my problem isn't solved.  I continue to have odd networking  behavior whereby my Roku Streaming Stick+ is disappearing from my router's connected devices list.  Even in this state the Roku has an IP address assigned locally, advertises excellent signal strength to the wifi, and can stream from all channels without incident.  However, since it doesn't appear visible on my network, the Roku app (via my Android phone), nor the Harmony can control the Roku, only the provided remote will work.  I have a streaming stick (non-plus) in my bedroom that is having none of this behavior.  My network config is a cable modem connected to a Netgear R7000 router.  I then have that router hardwired to a downstream R6700 configured as an access point, sitting on my TV stand in my Den.  The Roku Streaming Stick+ is physically about 4 feet from R6700 access point and is making wireless connection to that node.  I have both 2.4G and 5G channel options for connectivity, and tried both with the Roku, without having an effect on this behavior.  At this point I'm at a loss for how to troubleshoot this further.  Without Harmony control, the Roku is all but useless for my family, and I'm using my Nvidia Shield exclusively for all things streaming now.

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:39 am

Can you bypass the R6700 and connect directly to the R7000?

Kent_c

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:45 am

Going into apps that work fine on my older Rokus reboots my brand new Ultra.

This particular model seems to have a number of issues. Any ideas on this?

dboff01

Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:10 pm

renojim wrote:

I can temporarily shut off the R6700 and the Stick+ will attempt to connect to the R7000, but it is on the other side of the house and signal barely reaches.  This is why I added the access point to begin with.  I can give that a shot tonight to see if I can get connectivity.

dboff01

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:52 pm

dboff01 wrote:
renojim wrote:

I can temporarily shut off the R6700 and the Stick+ will attempt to connect to the R7000, but it is on the other side of the house and signal barely reaches.  This is why I added the access point to begin with.  I can give that a shot tonight to see if I can get connectivity.

I've temporarily disabled both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios on the R6700 (AP) and the Roku network discovery/control is now working reliably.  I do have an expected weakened signal to my wireless devices in my den, but it is still working.  Of course, I've just limited the Wifi coverage range of my property as well as the benefit of 5G connections in my den.  I'm not sure if this information is useful for Roku, but I don't expect to leave my network configuration limited in this way just so I can control my Roku with the Harmony.  Why would the Roku have problems with an AP configuration?