Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

laby

Re: [Official] OS 9 Release Notes

Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:28 am

paulc wrote:
Anyone else lost the ability to adjust the volume of the remote attached headphones? Mine are stuck at too low a volume, this has been working flawlessly for years.

I've tried factory reset and updating remote firmware - without luck. The remote keys are working fine - verified by secret menu, and the main unit's LED flashes when pressing them.
Model 2720X, 9.0.0, build 4084. 
Support page doesn't seem to cater for older models?

Did this issue ever get addressed? I've been having the same problem for awhile. The remote volume was stuck at too loud but I just never got around to trying to fix it. When I finally did make an attempt it got stuck at way too low. The remote itself it fine. The buttons work fine, the light blinks on the roku, the clicks register on the view remote button presses part of the secret menu. I've tried pairing the remote to other versions of roku, it works on the 3 and the premiere+. I've tried updating the remote software. I've made sure the roku was up to date. I've factory reset the Roku. Nothing works. The other thing I can think of it to roll back the roku software but I don't see anyway to do that.
I have a Roku 2 - 2720X, software version 9.0.0 build 4142-06

DBDukes

Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:40 am

laby wrote:
Did this issue ever get addressed? I've been having the same problem for awhile. The remote volume was stuck at too loud but I just never got around to trying to fix it. When I finally did make an attempt it got stuck at way too low. The remote itself it fine. The buttons work fine, the light blinks on the roku, the clicks register on the view remote button presses part of the secret menu. I've tried pairing the remote to other versions of roku, it works on the 3 and the premiere+. I've tried updating the remote software. I've made sure the roku was up to date. I've factory reset the Roku. Nothing works. The other thing I can think of it to roll back the roku software but I don't see anyway to do that.

If I understood you correctly, you paired the remote from the Roku 2 (2720) with a Roku 3 (4200 or 4230). The remote that came with the Roku 2 (2720) is the same remote that came with the Roku 3 (model 4200). So, you said it paired fine. Does that mean the volume control worked?

Have you tried pairing the remote from the Roku 3 with the Roku 2 (2720)? If your Roku 3 is model 4200, the remotes are identical (not so if it's the 4230, but that one should still work). If not, try that and see what happens. We're trying to determine if any remotes will work as designed with that Roku box. If not, the focus needs to be on the box. Otherwise, it could be the remote. Those tests will determine that.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

laby

Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:50 am

DBDukes wrote:
laby wrote:

If I understood you correctly, you paired the remote from the Roku 2 (2720) with a Roku 3 (4200 or 4230). The remote that came with the Roku 2 (2720) is the same remote that came with the Roku 3 (model 4200). So, you said it paired fine. Does that mean the volume control worked?

Have you tried pairing the remote from the Roku 3 with the Roku 2 (2720)? If your Roku 3 is model 4200, the remotes are identical (not so if it's the 4230, but that one should still work). If not, try that and see what happens. We're trying to determine if any remotes will work as designed with that Roku box. If not, the focus needs to be on the box. Otherwise, it could be the remote. Those tests will determine that.

Yes the headphone volume worked fine on the 3 and premiere +
I did try pairing the premiere+ and the roku 3 remotes with the roku 2 but they wouldn't connect. The roku 3 is the 4230X model.

DBDukes

Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:55 am

laby wrote:

I did try pairing the premiere+ and the roku 3 remotes with the roku 2 but they wouldn't connect. The roku 3 is the 4230X model.

That definitely looks like the Roku 2 (2720) is the problem then. Even though the 4230 and 4200 are slightly different versions of the Roku 3, the remote from the Roku 3 (4230) should be able to pair with the Roku 2 (2720).

You've already done the right things, it appears. Factory reset should have resolved it if nothing else. I do have one more question along that line.

There are two ways to do a factory reset. One is to use the menu system and do it that way. The other is to hold the reset button on the device itself down for 30 seconds. If you used the reset button, you must hold it for a full 30 seconds. Anything less is not sufficient. So, do confirm that you did that.

If so, I got nothing more to suggest. If not, do that and see if it makes a difference.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

laby

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:32 am

DBDukes wrote:
laby wrote:

That definitely looks like the Roku 2 (2720) is the problem then. Even though the 4230 and 4200 are slightly different versions of the Roku 3, the remote from the Roku 3 (4230) should be able to pair with the Roku 2 (2720).

You've already done the right things, it appears. Factory reset should have resolved it if nothing else. I do have one more question along that line.

There are two ways to do a factory reset. One is to use the menu system and do it that way. The other is to hold the reset button on the device itself down for 30 seconds. If you used the reset button, you must hold it for a full 30 seconds. Anything less is not sufficient. So, do confirm that you did that.

If so, I got nothing more to suggest. If not, do that and see if it makes a difference.

I've reset it through the normal software factory reset and the factory reset on one of the secret screens.
I just tried factory resetting with the physical button but that didn't work either.

RokuTannerD

Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:31 pm

@laby 

Thanks for letting us know what you're seeing. Are you using the original remote that was sold with your model 2720 device? 

Please PM me with your Roku account email address, the serial number of the Roku player from Settings>System>About, and the RC model of remote you are trying to use with the Roku device. (This can be found underneath the batteries inside the battery compartment.) 

I'll take a closer look and follow up from there. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

laby

Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:18 pm

RokuTannerDB wrote:
@laby 

Thanks for letting us know what you're seeing. Are you using the original remote that was sold with your model 2720 device? 

Please PM me with your Roku account email address, the serial number of the Roku player from Settings>System>About, and the RC model of remote you are trying to use with the Roku device. (This can be found underneath the batteries inside the battery compartment.) 

I'll take a closer look and follow up from there. 

Thanks,
Tanner

Okay, sent the info. Yes I'm using the original remote.

john73

Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:05 pm

Is there going to be a update, to fix the hdmi ports not working on hisense roku tvs, As i see by the messages, i am not the only one who has this issue since it updated to 9 a few weeks ago.

RokuTannerD

Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:52 pm

@john73

In relation to the issue reported regarding no input displaying for HDMI input devices, we are actively investigating these reports. 

If you are running into the issue, please PM me with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku TV from Settings>System>About, and describe whether you have any CEC settings enabled on your TV, such as One-Touch Play, System Standby, etc. 

I'll follow up with you directly to assist you further. 

Thanks!
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

Nobska

Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:58 pm

With the release of OS 9, the subtitle fonts seem to have changed for the worse. I have difficulty hearing dialog clearly and I usually use subtitles. But trying to read subtitles using Roku's new proportional san serif font (with an app like Plex, not Netflix) has become impossible. 

I find proportional san serif fonts the easiest to see. Common fonts like Arial and Helvetica are the best and most commonly used examples of this type of font. But for some reason, Roku has decided to use a different font that's thinner and very hard to see; i.e. 'futuristic'.  I don't know its name, but I'd like to know.  Dumb move, probably made with a lack of awareness for low-vision or hearing-impaired customers.

Is there any way to install or go back to a font like Helvetica (not even supported on this forum!) or Arial (see the difference?) to improve accessibility for all customers? 

robstein682

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:04 pm

@RokuTannerDB

Just following up here.  I found these posts regarding Build 4142 and HDMI no signal.  My particular situation is that I have a Hisense 48" Roku tv, and from everything I've been reading here, it's the same issue with a ps4 not being able to communicate via HDMI.  It suddenly happened in the past month, no issues with the tv prior.

Unfortunately Roku's tech support basically told me to contact Hisense as soon as they learned I was using that tv.  You can guess how well that went, lol.  

Since other people seem to be having the same issue, I'm just wondering how the investigation is going, and if a new build or fix is in the works.  Thanks!

RokuTannerD

Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:19 pm

@Nobska
Thanks for reaching out to share the observations here. Which specific channel(s) are you seeing this issue on? 

In Settings>Accessibility>Captions style, there are a number of specific options, including 'Text style', 'Text edge effect', and 'Text size' that allow you to customize subtitles that are displayed by Roku OS. Have you tried changing these settings to select a 'Serif..' font option, and increase the size to 'Large' or 'Extra large' to see if this improves visibility for you? (Some channels display their own subtitles, so this experience may vary.)

If adjusting those settings isn't helping improve the issue you're seeing, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, your Roku player's serial number from Settings>System>About, and any additional details that may be helpful to investigate. I'd be happy to help take a closer look with you and see what we can do to assist. 

@robstein682

Thanks for the note! The team is still investigating this issue, but we may be able to assist in the meantime. Please PM me with your Roku account email address and the serial number of the TV from Settings>System>About. I will follow up with you directly from there.

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

Davidsco27

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:13 pm

And already the Volume Leveling causes audio sync issues. Wonderful testing you got there. You should be proud

DBDukes

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:45 pm

Davidsco27 wrote:
And already the Volume Leveling causes audio sync issues. Wonderful testing you got there. You should be proud

You wanna join the Beta test group? Someone with your level of care and concern would be able to help immensely.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

Scottt1174

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:19 pm

Bye Roku and bye TCL 5 series tv. Roku stinks and still haven't gotten the OS9 update and TCL and Roku partner with each other what a disgrace. People with Roku built into the TV should have gotten the update first. Also I can't open an app sometimes just kicks me out like on Shout TV the other night which was a known problem people complained about the other day. Also happens when trying to watch TCM and other channels almost every other day. The Roku channel was supposed to have premium channels listed like starz and epix that still hasn't been updated becuase the roll out will take a year. I am officially saying GOODBYE TO Roku and hello Tizen. Roku isn't even in the same ballpark. It's ashame cause I like Roku's lay out better. I am just tired of all the BS. I mean look at all the complaints everyday. Sure every smart streaming pkatform has issues but Jesus so many complaints on here with one moderator to answer all the complaints. He is a nice guy though I feel bad for him. His name is Tanner and he tries to actually help you resolve your issue. Anyway Roku is getting out of the hardware business. Roku is a dying platform sorry to say. Sorry to be negative but this is the truth.