Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Re: [Official] OS 9 Release Notes

Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:18 pm

Rokus have always been finicky with anything but the simplest of home network setups (and often times, even with simple setups). I don't know a lot about your particular setup, but if you've somehow managed to get two network segments going (e.g., 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x) that could be a problem.

-JT

dj57auc

Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:37 am

4660X - Roku Ultra
ver. 9.0.0 build 4072-46

auto-adjust display refresh rate - ENABLED 
- results in video stuttering (audio is fine) of 29.970 fps music video files played through PLEX - the output resolution is set to 4K 30Hz. by roku. if I stop or disable direct play during playback sometimes output is set to 4K 59Hz shown on avr or 4K 60p shown on tv and playback is fine.
auto-adjust display refresh rate - DISABLED (edited)
- everything plays fine, no more video stuttering, but I prefer my TV's upscaler and my Motion Plus settings instead of Roku's non customizable conversion to 60fps.
Last edited by dj57auc on Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
one byte to rule them all

rey_1178

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:36 am

I'm having an issue and hopefully someone has an idea what to do. After the last update my roku no longer senses that my TV can do HDR. Senses the 4k but not HDR. Already unplugged and rebooted. Unplugged the HDMI cable to and reconnected but still have the problem. This worked perfectly fine before OS9. 

atc98092

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:49 am

dj57auc wrote:
4660X - Roku Ultra
ver. 9.0.0 build 4072-46

- results in video stuttering (audio is fine) of 29.970 fps music video files played through PLEX - the output resolution is set to 4K 30Hz. by roku. if I stop or disable direct play during playback sometimes output is set to 4K 59Hz shown on avr or 4K 60p shown on tv and playback is fine.
- everything plays fine, no more video stuttering, but I prefer my TV's upscaler and my Motion Plus settings instead of Roku's non customizable conversion to 60fps.

I think you have a typo here. You say ENABLED twice. Using Roku Media Player, I can't play H.262/MPEG-2 videos with the auto-adjust framerate enabled, because it causes stuttering, same as you. If I disable auto-framerate, they play fine. Therefore, I just leave it disabled. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (2016), and Ultra (2016), Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, CenturyLink DSL

dj57auc

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:18 am

Yes you are right, seems like the DISABLED option behaves better after this update. now roku just upscales but does not make everything 60fps so it's ok now.
one byte to rule them all

atc98092

Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:19 pm

dj57auc wrote:
Yes you are right, seems like the DISABLED option behaves better after this update. now roku just upscales but does not make everything 60fps so it's ok now.

Well, I had the same issue with 8.1, so I don't think it started with 9, but who knows? I have my Roku on a 1080 plasma now, it that TV looks just fine with the resolution/framerate the Roku outputs. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (2016), and Ultra (2016), Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, CenturyLink DSL

radar244

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:57 pm

as soon as i updated to os9 my remote constantly stops communicating with my Roku.
if i pull a battery and put it back in it will usually start working for a few min. this never happened before the update.
i have a roku ultra 2017.
anyone else seeing this or have a fix.
thanks

eannaglavin

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:50 pm

Owner of the Roku 4200x just wondering when it will see the release of the update. Have been waiting a long time for spotify, getting kinda annoyed about the update being released a month ago and still seeing nothing on my end...

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:33 pm

Firmware rollouts happen in batches to measure stability of the build.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

rey_1178

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:57 am

rey_1178 wrote:
I'm having an issue and hopefully someone has an idea what to do. After the last update my roku no longer senses that my TV can do HDR. Senses the 4k but not HDR. Already unplugged and rebooted. Unplugged the HDMI cable to and reconnected but still have the problem. This worked perfectly fine before OS9. 

Well I tried doing a factory reset and didn't change a thing. I don't know if to return this and get another ultra that's still on the older firmware.

wildsprite

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:49 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
Firmware rollouts happen in batches to measure stability of the build.

I can appreciate that you do this but, what I do not like is you give us no information on how you choose who gets what? I have asked this to your twitter account and got back a generic answer so I will ask here.
how do you choose who gets the update in a staggered rollout like this? 
is it the device? is it the account? 
does it go by the serial number? 
registration date?
I would feel much better knowing this information as I have been checking every day since you started this. please reply as I'm 100% certain I'm not the only one that wants to know this

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:19 pm

I honestly don't know how they do it.  I think it's random.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

wildsprite

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:33 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
I honestly don't know how they do it.  I think it's random.

thank you for your honesty. I think if it is random it truly sucks, after trying OS9 on my cousin's Roku Express I want it, having Spotify back as well as the theme management, screen saver management and remote management is nice. I don't suppose there is a way you can help me get it sooner on my Roku Ultra 4640? probably not but I figured I would ask anyway

if it helps I'm fully ok with being a test subject for things like this

atc98092

Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:21 pm

wildsprite wrote:
if it helps I'm fully ok with being a test subject for things like this

You might consider signing up for their beta tester program. Of all the beta builds I've tested I've only encountered a critical problem once, and it was addressed fairly quickly. RokuShawn might be able to advise you how to apply. 
Dan

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:37 pm

You can sign up at https://rokutestingportal.centercode.com.  I don't know if they're currently accepting applications or not, but since we're nearing the complete rollout of 9.0, it shouldn't be too much longer before they start going through the applications again and adding more (we always need more).  Be sure to fill out any and ALL applications on centercode, and put in as much information on your local environment as possible (TV make/model, receiver make/model, et al).

I can also put in a word or two to the Beta Coordinators to get you on the Beta Testing list (no guarantees though). They want active participants willing to dedicate time each day/week to providing feedback and bug-discovery.  If you're only in it for new or preview builds, however, I don't advise it.  NDA's can seriously impact how you post on public forums (such as here).  atc98092 just said about as much as he's able to say due to NDA, for example :mrgreen:
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------