Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

[Official] Roku OS 8.2

Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:06 am

Roku OS 8.2 is a software update rolling out to all Roku TV™ models over the coming weeks. It includes bug fixes and updates to improve your entertainment experience when using a Roku TV.

Roku OS 8.2 also adds features that will enable Roku TV models to work seamlessly with the upcoming Roku TV™ Wireless Speakers, including new voice capabilities that allow you to launch and control music playback on a variety of streaming music services when using Roku TV Wireless Speakers. Additionally, a new settings menu option has been added to Roku TVs that will enable pairing of speakers in preparation for the release of the Roku TV Wireless Speakers. This setting can be accessed by going to Settings > Remotes & devices > Pair new device > Speaker.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

Premiere+4630

Re: [Official] Roku OS 8.2

Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:11 pm

I'm confused. Yesterday you guys announced that OS 9 was rolling out to the TV models, and now you're announcing that OS 8.2 is rolling out to TV models? Seems a bit backwards, I must be missing something...

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:16 pm

8.2 will come first.  9.0 will come later to TVs.

At least that's how I understand it.  I'll try to get some confirmation this week.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

Premiere+4630

Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:20 pm

Thanks!

For whatever it's worth, it's probably better if the thread on OS 9 is created by you or another Roku official account, rather than a regular user (Bacon). I see that it's titled OFFICIAL and is pinned at the top of the forum, but it can still be a bit misleading as to who is putting that sort of important info out there to the public.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:25 pm

Typically we haven't posted the release notes on the forums in a few years, but there was a directive to post it this time.  Bacon just beat us to it :P
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

Legierk

Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Will the rollout (8.2) go through a trial/testing period, ala cell phone OS and carriers? Or, will Roku just push them directly, regardless of manufacturer etc.? Does the new OS have a fix for the DD+ output bug?

fluke

Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:43 pm

Consumer Reports posted an article which I read to indicate there would be changes to block ECP in Roku OS 8.2 and 9.0.  The article titled "Samsung Fixes a Smart TV Security Problem Prompted by Consumer Reports' Findings" was mostly targeting Samsung smart TVs but also brought up Roku has a similar "problem" (CR's wording, not mine) which "also related to an unsecured API."  The article continues on to say: "[Roku] says that an upcoming firmware update, Roku OS 8.2, will block third-party apps while allowing people to use the official Roku mobile app for Roku TVs. And, the company said, the change will come to Roku streaming players in Roku OS 9.0 later this fall."

It is understandable that CR is light on details on what exactly is being changed.  The point of the article is that CR is advocating for change and full insight into the modification falls outside of the scope of the article.

However, there is nothing in the release notes for either 8.2 or 9.0 for changes to ECP.  Has there been a change to ECP?  Is third-party ECP access now turned off by default but can still be turned on by the user?  Is third-party apps now just locked out with no option to restore access?  Is Roku interested in having a two way discussion on how to possibly change the ECP protocol to perform secure remote pairing so ECP sessions moving forward are authenticated?

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:10 pm

I got word this evening while I was out to dinner that the 8.2 rollout will come first to support the new Roku Wireless Speakers.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

harmug

Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:14 am

It looks like 8.2 was pushed out on my Hitachi Roku TV on 10/24. Since then I'm having issues with buffering on Pluto TV, multiple channels. Sound getting out of sync on Roku app. Reuters TV app, main news screen will turn white, audio (internal speakers) plays fine. The main video stays white, unless I use the down arrow and activate the top banner. Pausing play back will return a full video picture, pressing play and it goes white again after a few seconds. While all this is occurring, the bottom banner stays active and updates with the current story so it's not a total loss of video signal, just the HD portion.
I have a Roku Ultra on another TV, running Rev 8.1, without any of the problems. I connected the ultra to a HDMI on the Hitachi and it works fine so it's not a wireless issue, it looks directly related to the 8.2 rollout.

I've tried hard shutdown, unplug the TV for 5 min - No change
Delete and reinstall Reuters App - No change

Any ideas? You guys have a memory issue with this version? 8.2.0 Build 4165

thanks
mike

Legierk

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:37 pm

Received 8.2 on my TCL TV tonight. So far, it appears that the DD+, DTS issue has been fixed. I will confirm when I get more sources and formats through it however. Otherwise, everything appears to be the same. I did not have to reset any settings, including picture, so that was a nice touch. I don't really notice any new features, but I wasn't looking either.

Edit: OK. DD+, DTS output from TV is not working properly. In fact, it may be worse. To recreate, connect TV to AVR with HDMI using ARC. Set TV audio out to DD+, DTS. Send any STEREO (two channel) signal (the Pandora music app for example) to the AVR. Set the AVR to output STEREO. What you will hear is what is commonly referred to as the difference signal, or L-R )left minus right). Very odd. The update (8.2) may be worse, because now not only is the signal L-R, but there is a severe "pumping" of the signal. 

Now, in order to fix the problem (so you can listen to Pandora in stereo, for example), just change TV output to DD, DTS. Problem goes away. It is not an HDMI cable issue. It is not a Pandora issue. It is not an AVR issue. The fact that everything works as expected in DD, DTS (no +) mode, tells me its a Roku software implementation issue. Oh well, maybe next update.

apodtele

Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:21 am

Legierk wrote:
The fact that everything works as expected in DD, DTS (no +) mode, tells me its a Roku software implementation issue. Oh well, maybe next update.

What is your AV receiver model? My Yamaha rx-v575 hates DD+ but works with DD too. It drops DD+ every time I switch TV input or stream. I can force new handshake and regain audio by cycling through the receiver channels, but it is not worth it. I stick to DD. I would not be so sure that this is TCL Roku TV problem though: I do not have any other DD+ source to test the receiver.

Blu

Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:00 am

Getting severe buffering with this update and slow speeds.

aaronwt

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:48 pm

I just got this update today on my TCL 6 Series TV. So far I have not run into any issues. It's working fine with Atmos/DD+ from the internal apps. As well as HDR10 and Dolby Vision from the internal apps and HDMI inputs.
TCL 6 Series--Streaming Stick Plus--2016 Ultra
53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a

pug_ster

Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:34 am

I have an TCL 55s401 TV and the Automatic Volume leveling feature only works if you have the roku speakers?  Or do I have to wait for roku tv 9?

apodtele

Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:31 pm

Indeed the volume between the broadcast and streaming is more leveled now. Wake-on-LAN also works again even with Fast Start disabled so I can turn the TV on from the app.

This is a good version so it seems.