Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

georgeedwardg

Re: [Official] Roku OS 8.2

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:58 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
Roku OS 8.2 is a software update rolling out to all Roku TV™ models over the coming weeks. It includes bug fixes and updates to improve your entertainment experience when using a Roku TV.

@RokuShawnS can you please provide an update for us regarding broken Dolby Vision (i.e. backlight dimming) TCL Roku TV models? It would appear as though this has issue has gone unaddressed for nearly a month.

krompot

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:53 am

Received the following update today from Reuters TV:

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback! We are aware of the reported issue and working with the development and product teams to get that fixed in an upcoming release. 

Best,
Reuters TV Support

cgherzog

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:07 am

I just uploaded the new software and it did not cure my problem either.. I am using a TCL ROKU TV model 49S405 serial number YN00GA644135. software 8.2.0 BUILD 4170-30.

undered

Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:34 pm

I have wifi problems whit my TCL Roku Tv since 8.2 update when, i power on my tv can't connect to wifi i need to restart or dissconect. Sorry for my bad English

TBDave

Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:13 am

gooner71_nc wrote:
has anyone else had problems with Dolby Vision since the 8.2 update? I have a TCL and before the update all was good but since it is way too aggressive , goes from super bight to very dim , for example a scene with two people talking indoors and one has a light source behind them,  as the scene switches between them one with light source is super bright and one without is very dim, expect it to be different and always was but now the difference is way too extreme. Have factory reset and checked all settings (same as they were before) but has not helped,its now way to distracting to enjoy the show .have only checked on streaming content but is same on Netflix , amazon etc. any ideas?

I bought the TCL55S517 a few weeks ago, and I'm having the exact same problem.  It's happening on all Dolby Vision content.  HDR is working fine.  I'm currently on Software Version 8.2.2 Build 4120-30.
According to the Advanced Picture Settings, the Dynamic Contrast feature is disabled and it says that "Dolby Vision is controlling the backlight".  I wish there was a way to turn this off.

Jon W

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:04 pm

To RokuShaunS,
Can you please post a status update on what is being done and when these OS 8.2 issues will be resolved??? My 4K TV was unable to function throughout all of the holidays and football bowl season.  This is really frustrating.

RowkooJim

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:35 pm

My tv on 8.2 is still not streaming sling or Hulu.  Weird enough it will stream YouTube just fine most times but the vast majority of my tv watching is via the other 2 apps.  However I am back to using my old roku 2 that used to be on OS 8.1 and worked flawlessly if a bit slow due to the processor.  But it was doable.   That roku updated itself to OS 9.0 a few weeks ago which concerned me very much at first because I was leaving it unplugged when not being used so it wouldn't update to 8.2 and become a brick too.   But it caught me one day and updated.  But it updated to OS 9.0 and lucky for me 9.0 seems to stream fine on the old roku 2.  So I'm (Im)patiently waiting for my roku tv to update to 9.0 with the rose colored hope that it will resolve this stupid 8.2 OS that has rendered my tv to being a monitor for the last several months.  

Anyone else on OS 9 now?   Is that working for you?   I know this topic is about a different app or function not working but I've been jumping in and following it because my problem is also 8.2.  

thomasz

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:38 pm

After not much change for over two months now for 8.2, I have already moved on to hoping Roku OS 9 will resolve the issues and not making anything worse. I started pulling an ethernet cable through my house to connect the TV wired which helps and was considering buying a Fire Stick as backup as some folks on the web suggest as apparently every new release of Roku OS might hit your specific device with issues. So keep hoping on OS 9, which should arrive for the TVs between now and end of March. Keeping fingers crossed.

JBL

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:37 pm

Legierk wrote:
Received 8.2 on my TCL TV tonight. So far, it appears that the DD+, DTS issue has been fixed. I will confirm when I get more sources and formats through it however. Otherwise, everything appears to be the same. I did not have to reset any settings, including picture, so that was a nice touch. I don't really notice any new features, but I wasn't looking either.

Edit: OK. DD+, DTS output from TV is not working properly. In fact, it may be worse. To recreate, connect TV to AVR with HDMI using ARC. Set TV audio out to DD+, DTS. Send any STEREO (two channel) signal (the Pandora music app for example) to the AVR. Set the AVR to output STEREO. What you will hear is what is commonly referred to as the difference signal, or L-R )left minus right). Very odd. The update (8.2) may be worse, because now not only is the signal L-R, but there is a severe "pumping" of the signal. 

Now, in order to fix the problem (so you can listen to Pandora in stereo, for example), just change TV output to DD, DTS. Problem goes away. It is not an HDMI cable issue. It is not a Pandora issue. It is not an AVR issue. The fact that everything works as expected in DD, DTS (no +) mode, tells me its a Roku software implementation issue. Oh well, maybe next update.

I have the same issue on my TCL 55R617  with firmware 8.2.2 hooked up to a 2011 Denon AVR. DD+ works fine from my old 2011 Samsung Plasma and my KM8 Android media player but the Roku produces a low pumping/chirping output in the AVR.

RokuTannerD

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:14 pm

@JBL 

A few questions here: 

Are you using HDMI audio out from the TV to the receiver? (Note: DD+ is not supported via optical audio out) What channel and content are you observing this issue with? Are you using Roku TV wireless speakers with that TV while attempting playback through a separate receiver? 

Please PM me with these details, and include your Roku account email address. I'll help investigate further and get you in touch with our team for further support, if need. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

ghostintheruins

Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:03 pm

Hello, I purchased the TCL 615 on December 16th, and was updated to 8.2.2 4097-30 as soon as I set it up.  I have the set on a wired connection, as opposed to Ethernet.  On at least four occasions, I've had the TV randomly turn off.  It has happened with different apps, so there's not a common theme that I can find.  It will take about 30-60 seconds before it will allow me to turn it back on, and then it will usually shut off again a second time within 10-30 minutes.  It once it turns back on, it returns to the home screen, so it does not seem to be a hard reboot.  I've tried to search for solutions, and came across others having a similar issue.  A post within the link below implies that "Called back and now they're saying it's a software issue and a fix is coming," but I was hoping to find something more official.  I really don't want to return it, but I have six days left to return the set if necessary.  I certainly don't want to be stuck with a set that may power down at random. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/a0jile/tcl_r615_roku_tv_keeps_turning_off_by_itself/

RokuTannerD

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:14 pm

Thanks for sharing your report here. It's hard to say what might be causing this type of issue. I'd like to gather more information about what you are seeing, and help determine next steps to see if we need to get you in touch with the TV manufacturer for additional help. 

Please PM me with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your TV from Settings>System>About. I'll continue assisting you directly from there. 

Thanks! 
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

JBL

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:46 pm

ghostintheruins wrote:
Hello, I purchased the TCL 615 on December 16th, and was updated to 8.2.2 4097-30 as soon as I set it up.  I have the set on a wired connection, as opposed to Ethernet.  On at least four occasions, I've had the TV randomly turn off.  It has happened with different apps, so there's not a common theme that I can find.  It will take about 30-60 seconds before it will allow me to turn it back on, and then it will usually shut off again a second time within 10-30 minutes.  It once it turns back on, it returns to the home screen, so it does not seem to be a hard reboot.  I've tried to search for solutions, and came across others having a similar issue.  A post within the link below implies that "Called back and now they're saying it's a software issue and a fix is coming," but I was hoping to find something more official.  I really don't want to return it, but I have six days left to return the set if necessary.  I certainly don't want to be stuck with a set that may power down at random. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/a0jile/tcl_r615_roku_tv_keeps_turning_off_by_itself/

I've noticed at least 3 times (in the last 2.5 weeks) when turning on my TCl 55R617-CA (8.2.2 4097-30 firmware) that it would appear to cold boot with the red screen for ~10 seconds, turn to a black screen and then reboot again. 

Legierk

Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:07 am

JBL wrote:
I have the same issue on my TCL 55R617  with firmware 8.2.2 hooked up to a 2011 Denon AVR. DD+ works fine from my old 2011 Samsung Plasma and my KM8 Android media player but the Roku produces a low pumping/chirping output in the AVR.

I have not checked this thread in awhile. I keep my TCL set to plain DD/DTS and it doesn't have issues. Only setting it to DD+ creates the problem. Since there hasn't been an update on mine since November, I haven't checked to see if its fixed. Let me know if you get any resolution.

Jerrywood45

Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:36 pm

Are the new series 6 55 inch TCL Now have OS9