Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

JBL

Re: [Official] Roku OS 8.2

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:52 pm

JBL wrote:
ghostintheruins wrote:
Hello, I purchased the TCL 615 on December 16th, and was updated to 8.2.2 4097-30 as soon as I set it up.  I have the set on a wired connection, as opposed to Ethernet.  On at least four occasions, I've had the TV randomly turn off.  It has happened with different apps, so there's not a common theme that I can find.  It will take about 30-60 seconds before it will allow me to turn it back on, and then it will usually shut off again a second time within 10-30 minutes.  It once it turns back on, it returns to the home screen, so it does not seem to be a hard reboot.  I've tried to search for solutions, and came across others having a similar issue.  A post within the link below implies that "Called back and now they're saying it's a software issue and a fix is coming," but I was hoping to find something more official.  I really don't want to return it, but I have six days left to return the set if necessary.  I certainly don't want to be stuck with a set that may power down at random. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/a0jile/tcl_r615_roku_tv_keeps_turning_off_by_itself/

I've noticed at least 3 times (in the last 2.5 weeks) when turning on my TCl 55R617-CA (8.2.2 4097-30 firmware) that it would appear to cold boot with the red screen for ~10 seconds, turn to a black screen and then reboot again. 

It happened twice today. And the TV sound still stops working every few days, requiring an unplugging. Hopefully an OS9 update is coming soon which will fix these issues... and bring some new ones.

RokuTannerD

Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:23 am

@JBL

Thanks for the note. For this type of issue/behavior, we'd recommend contacting TCL support directly to report what you're experiencing, and follow up for additional assistance. You can reach them directly here: 

https://support.tclusa.com/contact-us?contact_query=Please%20enter%20your%20question

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

Paulsto

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:29 am

I have downgraded Roku is from 8.2.2 to 8.2.0 via secret menu (just Google Roku secter Manu 1). I watched movies and played games no crashes so far , will report back. I took TV offline so Roku don't force new update on me and using XBox as a media player for now.

Scottt1174

Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:24 pm

Had there been any updates if this is a Rolu firmware problem? I am pretty sure it is. I just bought the TCL S517. And I also am having the DV problem on Netflix and Amazon. The picture will darken and lighten in between scenes. Its very annoying. Why can't Roku address the problem? When will the new OS be out for Roku TVs? Besides that no other issues the TV is actually a really good 4ktv. I hope someone could address this further.

Paulsto

Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:01 pm

Update: I have contacted TCL about 55r615 random shut offs - so they suggested plug TV directly into the wall and not to use Power Strip with surge protector. looks like problem is fixed, TV stable now. 
I did use surge protector for TV and Xbox One. also according to Microsoft do not use surge protectors with Xbox one S and X. if you plug either Xbox One into a surge protected outlet, the console is not capable of reaching the full power draw it needs for "optimal performance." and sends incorrect signal into TV via HDMI port.

JBL

Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:38 pm

Paulsto wrote:
Update: I have contacted TCL about 55r615 random shut offs - so they suggested plug TV directly into the wall and not to use Power Strip with surge protector. looks like problem is fixed, TV stable now. 
I did use surge protector for TV and Xbox One. also according to Microsoft do not use surge protectors with Xbox one S and X. if you plug either Xbox One into a surge protected outlet, the console is not capable of reaching the full power draw it needs for "optimal performance." and sends incorrect signal into TV via HDMI port.

Microsoft has retracted that recommendation about surge protectors because, unless the surge protector is overloaded, it is unlikely to cause any limitations on "full power draw". It sounded sketchy from the get-go. What type of power strip do you have?

Paulsto

Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:49 pm

JBL wrote:
Paulsto wrote:

Microsoft has retracted that recommendation about surge protectors because, unless the surge protector is overloaded, it is unlikely to cause any limitations on "full power draw". It sounded sketchy from the get-go. What type of power strip do you have?

Interesting, so im running for 2 days already with no problems. I had everything connected thru Lowes power strip with surge protector - [b]Model # [/b]UTPB42225 - PRIME 6-Outlet 1000 Joules Surge Protector. Now TV is connected directly into the wall and Xbox with Soundbar into regular power strip without surge protector.

JBL

Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:40 am

Paulsto wrote:
JBL wrote:
Paulsto wrote:

Interesting, so im running for 2 days already with no problems. I had everything connected thru Lowes power strip with surge protector - [b]Model # [/b]UTPB42225 - PRIME 6-Outlet 1000 Joules Surge Protector. Now TV is connected directly into the wall and Xbox with Soundbar into regular power strip without surge protector.

Still working good?

Paulsto

Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:40 am

Here is my updated: after removing surge protector TV was stable for sure no shuts offs for 2 weeks as my last post, however 3 days ago I had one shut off while playing Xbox. So I had work ticket open with TCL and I agreed on fix just to make sure all sides are covered. TCL sent technician to my home and he replaced motherboard and power supply just to make sure if problem with ether or. So I will monitor TV after hardware replacement.

thomasz

Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:47 pm

... it was an issue with Roku OS 8.2 ... now I'm sure. On 03/25 Roku OS 9.0.0 update became available on my TCL Roku TV and once I updated ALL my issue with blurry images while using wireless connection to my router, long waiting times to skip TV show intros, etc. disappeared. They disappeared with 9.0.0 instantly, the same as they appeared on 11/08 with the update to 8.2.0. It is close to impossible that in both cases my internet provided changed something or I changed my home wireless network ... especially since I triggered the OS 9.0.0 upgrade myself and I for sure did not tweak anything else at home while doing that ;-). I still go with the hypo that a not fully tested inclusion of the wireless speaker functionality caused these trouble, as wired connection of my TCL Roku TV was fine while using 8.2.0. 
 So, to summarize, I'm really happy that Roku OS 9 fixed the issues with 8.2.0. It took too long making my TV a pain for 4 1/2 months. Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that 9.1 or any future update does not break it again.