Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

apodtele

Re: [Official] Roku OS 8.2

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:41 pm

You should complain to Reuters too. They created the channel. It is possible they can fix the issue on their end.

Kev585

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:08 pm

gooner71_nc wrote:
has anyone else had problems with Dolby Vision since the 8.2 update? I have a TCL and before the update all was good but since it is way too aggressive , goes from super bight to very dim , for example a scene with two people talking indoors and one has a light source behind them,  as the scene switches between them one with light source is super bright and one without is very dim, expect it to be different and always was but now the difference is way too extreme. Have factory reset and checked all settings (same as they were before) but has not helped,its now way to distracting to enjoy the show .have only checked on streaming content but is same on Netflix , amazon etc. any ideas?

Dealing with this too. One of the new build updates of 8.2 broke Dolby Vision on my TCL. Tried all the things you mentioned and am communicating with their support. Dolby Vision programs are unwatchable, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina on netflix is near pitch black and the brightness dance you describe. Other HD/4k/HDR content still looks amazing.   

jansenwes7

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:01 pm

I just got on the forum, so pardon me if my issue has been addressed before. Will this upgrade help with my Dolby Vision issues on my 5 series TCL? On Netflix or Amazon it is ‘unwatchable’—very dim with disturbing fluctuations when the scene changes. Regular 4K looks great. Thanks for any suggestions.

PietroSoft

Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:20 am

I have serious glitches with my TCL 55S405, the glitches happen when the TV is working at 4K 60hz, if its at 1080, or even 4K 30hz the glitches dont happen. The glitches and artifacts started to appear with the 8.2.0 update, on the 8.1.0 it was working perfectly, also the new update makes the UI run a lot slower and choppy. If you know a way for me to rollback to 8.1.0 please tell me. I recorded this video to show you the glitches. 

thomasz

Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:48 am

Hi Shawn, Roku OS 8.2 forum participants, 
 Starting 08-Nov my TCL Roku TV (Roku TV 7103X, TCL model 55P605, Serial number YS007X653103, Software version 8.2.0 4170-30) started to have buffering issues. This impacted online streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime, as well as PLEX on my Synology NAS 412+. I believe the 08-NOV version was 8.2.0 41767-30, but cannot confirm as I was out of town and my family did not check the version. When I got home 2 days ago the issue was still there on 4170-30 build. I did switch back to 4167 using the secret screen update and confirm issue for both 4167 and 4170. The major change that happened to my system was the 8.2.0 Roku OS update, but I wanted to start ruling out other issues as both internet streaming and local streaming from PLEX had issues. 
 Here is what I've tried out so far: I ethernet wired the Roku TV and still had issues. I used my laptop right next to the Roku TV in wireless mode and no issues in streaming the content. All other wireless devices in my home are working fine for streaming. I checked the internet speed for my ATT Uverse service using the ATT and non-ATT speed tests and get 10-13 Mpbs download and ~2Mbps upload (should not matter). I rebooted the Uverse router (provides the wireless hot spot in my home), the Synology NAS, the Roku TV. Same issue. I factory reset the Roku TV, same issue. 
 What I observe consistently is that if I use 'check connection' on the Roku TV, then I get a quick green checkmark for wireless connection and than 95% of the time a red X for the internet connection. However, if I do 'setup connection' both the wireless and internet connection come back quickly with a green checkmark. Is the internet connection different between the 'setup connection' and 'check connection' menus'. I did setup vs. check connection a few times in a row switch from one to the other and get all green for setup, but bad internet connection for 'check connection'. I have now changed the 'bit rate' in one of the hidden menues to a lower value (3Mbps) and now get much fewer buffering circles, image still changes from fairly sharp to fuzzy. 
 My take right now is still that this is an OS update issue - also based on other having similar issues, but the real test right now would be for me to rollback to 8.1.0 which I assume was the Roku OS I had before Nov-08 (have never really looked at this as this all updated automatically, which I now wish was more user-controlled -;-). If 8.1.0 makes my TCL Roku TV work as it used until recently, then it would more clearly indicated some problem with 8.2.0 and my Roku TV and I could stop debugging other component.
 I saw in - I believe Secret Screen 1 - that there is a menu that allows cycling the update servers, which is fixed to 'Production'. Is there a way for me to get access to a non-Production update server that hosts the older Roku version(s), so I can progress with my system debug and hopefully can come to a conclusion (maybe keep using 8.1.0 until a working 8.2.0 version for my TV is available).
 Hope to get some additional feedback / input. I can sort of use the TV for watching, but it hurts to have a 4k TV with the image worse than an old CRT ;-)
Thomas

RowkooJim

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:30 am

I am stuck in the same exact position as you Thomas. my sharp roku tv was fine on 8.1 OS but as soon as it updated to 8.2 I am having streaming and buffering issues which are not real issues. I was even able to use that secret screen a few time to revert back and reinstall 8.1 when 8.2 updates automatically. But as if a week or so ago I was no longer able to revert back to a prior OS. Quite disappointing. I even have an old roku 2 right next to my Tv that is on 8.1 and it streams fine. I have been unplugging it nightly so it does not update to 8.2. The processor is much slower but once it get to a channel it streams fine.

So there is definitely as issue with 8.2. I wish it would get addressed soon. I haven't been able to use my apps for about 2 weeks now.

-Jim

thomasz

Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:26 pm

Hi Jim,
My old Roku1 also streams fine on my old TV. I was not able to revert back to 8.1 as i was out of town until a few days ago and only had input from family that TV had issues. But good to hear that yor reverting back to 8.1 in first week after update worked.

To Roku,
I really like(d) my Roku1 and also Roku TV. Used Roku for 6-7 years now after cutting cable. I am even sort of ok if newest builds of Roku OS are buggy for some users but why not having an option in the menues that enable/disable automatic update with new update avail notofication on home screen. Plus an option to revert back to previous version for longer period of time. I do not think i have any immediate need of any new 8.2 feature, but i do feel the pain of not having my reliably working 8.1.
All this would be for me a no-issue if above OS updating features where available. Would use auomatic update, get 8.2, see it has issue, wid revert back to 8.1, set disable automatic update, get on-screen notifications if new updates, test ndw updates and if ok enable auto update.
Is there a technical reason why this would not work for Roku OS. Looks very straightforward and easy to implement for me.

Thanks and looking forward to next build
Thomas

RowkooJim

Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:59 pm

I noticed it was dragging and not playing videos when it first updated to 8.2 a month or so ago. I went into the menu each time and it showed 8.1 as the alternative OS to update. So I did and everything was fine. But then literally the day it updates again to 8.2 I went in to update back to 8.1 and it was not available. It showed the same version OS that I was on to update to. That's when the trouble started because from that day on j have not been able to watch anything. I get the same wireless connection errors you are getting yet it worked fine with 8.1 and none of my other wireless devices are affected at all.

Like you I tried to change the update server but there is no other option. I'm pretty sure in the past I was able to change that.

I'm about to cancel sling because I'm wasting my money since I can't watch it. Or I'll use my old roku that works perfectly fine on 8.1 and unplug after using it so it doesn't update to 8.2 and become a brick.

There needs to be a way to turn off automatic updates. It allows them to render perfectly functioning devices as obsolete even though it's the new OS that is the problem.

/end rant

thomasz

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:15 pm

On my old Roku1 I can cycle the update server from. Beta to test to hourly to unsafe. Since these devices are not supported anymore cycling does not do match as all point to same version 3.1 but this pretty much what i wish i had now. Cycle to an update server that has previous version 8.1 and stays there.

Jon W

Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:18 pm

Thank You ThomasZ !!  You saved me a lot of time and effort on troubleshooting!

I just bought my TCL TV recently, and it was working fantastic for weeks, I LOVED it.  But something happened on Nov 8th, the exact same day as you.  Ever since that day, I've had streaming and buffering issues, big time.  Terrible picture.  Can't watch a program continuously on any of my streaming apps - Netflix, Sling, Prime, or ESPN.   All other devices in my home stream crisp and great, just fine.  Speed checks prove no network problem in my home.  I'm convinced it's the 8.2 update that happened on Nov 8th.

My specifics:
Roku TV 7118X
TCL Model # 55S515
Serial # YS00AM040445
Current Software version: 8.2.0 build 4170-30

Wish I could revert to prior OS.  My whole family is very frustrated now with our new TV.  Roku please help!!

thomasz

Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:01 am

Hi JonW, thx for adding your case to the forum. It is like the look out the front door if other homes also have no lights after loosing power :-) . Hope we get a new and working 8.2 build soon or a way to have 8.1 rollback enabled.

JamesMHamilton51

Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:28 pm

I have a TCL Roku TV, model 40FS3750 which recently updated to 8.2.0. Build 4170-08.   Ever since, I have had problems with the wi-fi connection disappearing while viewing.  It does not matter which provider I am viewing. When this happens it does not shut down when I press the power button on the remote, although the screen does go dark.  When I press the power button again, the screen activates exactly as it was, with no connection.  The only way I have found to reconnect is to pull the power to the set, wait a few seconds, and re-connect the power.

I have reset the TV to factory settings, restarted it, changed the wireless connection from 2.4 to 5 ghz, and installed a wi-fi booster, all to no avail. I have tried to access the Secret Screen using directions from Tomsguide, hoping to try turning off pings, but the instructions do not appear to work with this set.  

The router involved is a Buffalo Air Station.  The wi-fi exender is a  D-Link DAP-1520 IEEE 802.11n 750 Mbps wireless range extender. 

I assume problem lies in the update or in the TV hardware.  Given the timing, I suspect the update. 

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Anation

Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:02 pm

Is anyone else having issues with audio cut-out on a TCL Roku TV? I read through the whole “Intermittent Audio after 8.1 ‘UPGRADE’” v1 and v2 threads which explain exactly the issue I am having of multiple short audio cut-outs with uninterrupted video (with one exception...the cutout persists even if I change the audio mode from Auto to PCM Stereo). However, I am running software version 8.2.0 build 4170-30. My Roku TV is a 7121X, TCL model 65R617, running ARC (HDMI 3) and CEC System Audio control out activated. My TV is connected to an Onkyo TX-SR308.

Up to this point I have had periodic success completely unplugging and restarting my TV set, but it might only resolve the problem for a day or so if I am lucky.

Appreciate any input, advice, etc.

georgeedwardg

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:30 am

gooner71_nc wrote:
has anyone else had problems with Dolby Vision since the 8.2 update? I have a TCL and before the update all was good but since it is way too aggressive , goes from super bight to very dim , for example a scene with two people talking indoors and one has a light source behind them,  as the scene switches between them one with light source is super bright and one without is very dim, expect it to be different and always was but now the difference is way too extreme. Have factory reset and checked all settings (same as they were before) but has not helped,its now way to distracting to enjoy the show .have only checked on streaming content but is same on Netflix , amazon etc. any ideas?

Same here.  Didn't really notice this happening until the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend.  TCL and Roku have not been helpful to date.  To add further insult to injury, both companies seem entirely unprepared for the possibility of things going wrong, so didn't build in the ability to downgrade back to a known stable version of the software.  Taking the set back to the retailer in mid-December if nothing is done.  Chargeback with the CC company if required beyond mid-December.  Suggest you consider doing the same.
Poor product design from Roku...  Poor vendor scoping on TCL's part... Poor UA/QA on both... and for all of this they get my money and effort?  What a bargain!  

krompot

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:49 am

thebtwl wrote:
apodtele wrote:
Let's calm down unless you can confirm that you received 8.2.0 build 4170-30 and still have issues.

I can confirm I have just manually downloaded the new 4170-30 and the problem is still the same, i.e. white screen on Reuters channel until I press the pause button and then the picture comes up just fine. When you hit the play button it goes back to white screen when the play/pause buttons disappear from the screen. The opening Reuters screen works fine, it just turns to white when it starts giving you the news. Can I get excited now?

I am having the exact same Reuters TV channel "white screen" playback issue.  I sent information to Reuters support as well.

Roku TV 7127X
TCL Model 49S403
Software Version 8.20 build 4170-30
Last edited by krompot on Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.