Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mcooper13141618
Topic Author

Keep getting error message after every episode

Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:40 pm

So I have the basic roku and it has always worked great for me aside from here and there issues that usually resolve themselves. But the past few days I have been watching a show on TLC GO called 90 Day Fiance and I am able to watch 1 episode and after the episode is over and it gets ready to go to the next episode I get a "We're sorry, we've encountered an error playing this video. Please try again. 
I will go back to the home screen and go back to the TLC app and click back on the show and the same thing happens when I click on an episode. I have to wait a few hours and then I can watch ONE show and the same thing happens again. I have checked for updates and there are no updates needed and I have even reset my roku through the settings part and its still doing the same thing. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do??
Thank you!

Mangorunner

Re: Keep getting error message after every episode

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:21 am

I'm having the identical error for the same show and I receive the same error message:
"We're sorry, we've encountered an error playing this video.  Please try again."
Pressing OK and "trying again", as they suggest, accomplishes nothing.  I have restarted the show, I have exited and restarted the network and then restarted the show, and I have performed a System Restart, all with no joy.  The only thing that has worked for me is to perform a Factory Reset (under Advanced system settings).  Doing that allows me to watch one and only one more episode at the end of which I receive the same error message and the frustration begins again.

It is a long and tedious process to perform a Factory Reset.  It is nice to know that waiting a few hours might (?) resolve the problem for one more episode at a time.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?  In the past, when I had a problem like this, the network pointed at Roku and Roku pointed at the network.

Thanks for any help!

RokuTannerDB

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:48 am

Thanks for letting us know what you're seeing here. It's possible there may be an issue within the channel itself that the service provider will need to investigate. 

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then, restart your Roku device. Once it loads up again, go to 'Streaming channels>Search channels' and try adding the channel back once more. 

If you're still encountering the issue from there, you'll want to contact the service provider directly to report the issue you are running into within their channel (app) on your Roku device. Each channel is built and maintained by the service provider, and they'll often be able to best assist with any issues you may encounter. You can reach TLC GO support here: https://www.tlc.com/general/contact-us

Please keep me posted if you need any additional help from there! 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

Mangorunner

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:23 pm

"Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then, restart your Roku device. Once it loads up again, go to 'Streaming channels>Search channels' and try adding the channel back once more."

Thank you for your reply.  I've tried your suggestion numerous times and it does not resolve the problem.  I have two Rokus and the TLC-Go-channel problem exists on both.  Neither restarting the Roku nor Remove-and-Re-Add-the-Channel does anything to cure the ailment, unfortunately. 

For any TLC show, I can view one episode.  Then I get the error message and routine lock-up.  After that, for any action I try, I either get the error message or it kicks me out of the TLC channel altogether and back to my Roku Home.

I've also discovered that waiting a few hours (as suggested by the original poster) sometimes does not clear it up.  I checked the TLC channel this morning after it had an overnight "rest", and it still does not function correctly today.  Still kicking me off the channel and back to my Roku Home.

I went round and round with the Lifetime network in the past; certain Lifetime show episodes would not load.  Folks on Twitter confirmed that they had the exact same problem with the same episodes.  But after numerous emails back and forth with both Roku and Lifetime, Lifetime pointed their finger at Roku and Roku put the blame on Lifetime.  It was a colossal waste of my time because nothing came of it, despite a lot of effort.  I'm not sure I'm up for the same exhausting struggle with TLC Go.  You just can't either get anyone to believe you or get anyone to care.

I did report the problem to TLC at the link you provided above (thank you very much).  We'll see what comes of it!

DBDukes

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:48 pm

Mangorunner wrote:
"Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then, restart your Roku device. Once it loads up again, go to 'Streaming channels>Search channels' and try adding the channel back once more."

Thank you for your reply.  I've tried your suggestion numerous times and it does not resolve the problem.  I have two Rokus and the TLC-Go-channel problem exists on both.  Neither restarting the Roku nor Remove-and-Re-Add-the-Channel does anything to cure the ailment, unfortunately. 

You say you're doing what Tanner said, but the actions mentioned in your last sentence is not what Tanner said.

You are treating rebooting/restarting and add/remove as two separate things. They aren't. They are parts of one big thing.

1. Remove the app.

2. Before you do anything else, restart the Roku. Unplug it, or use the menu (Settings > System > System Restart > Restart). For Roku TV, turning it off and on isn't sufficient.

3. After the Roku has restarted, add the app back.

All of those are part of the process, and must be done in that order. Any other order is wrong. Rebooting isn't a separate thing. It's the part that removes any corrupt/bad/problematic data after an app is removed. The restart/reboot process ensures the device is clean for the reinstallation. So, stop thinking of them as separate things. They are part of a whole: a full and complete reinstallation of an app.

Now, what I just wrote doesn't mean that this will resolve your issue. But, from the way you wrote what you did, it appeared you may have not been clear on the properly way to perform the process. It's remove/reboot/reinstall. No other method is valid.

Please confirm that's what you did. Spell it out in the order you did it.

Yes, I'm being a jack***. Why? Well, in the past, others have come to the Forums, been instructed on how to perform the process, but didn't understand or didn't believe (or for whatever reason) did not perform the steps in that order, only to later have it dawn on them that the order is critical. I just want to be sure that you are performing those steps in that order.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

Mangorunner

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:11 pm

Wow, thank you!  No, I do not think you are a jerk!  That is exactly what I was wanting - someone to show me exactly what I was doing wrong.  And you did it.  You were right - I had not removed the channel AND restarted the Roku AND re-added the channel - in that order and as one entire process.  I just did it - and of course, I had to resign onto the network - and it worked!  This process is MUCH LESS tedious than a Factory Reset.  This I can live with.  (And I don't have to beg a network to re-add an episode that won't load.)

Oh, JOY!  THANK YOU, DBDukes and Tanner.  Tanner, I'm sorry I didn't "get" what you wrote the first time.  This has made my day.  Thanks, ya'll!

P.S.  Thank you for caring enough to take the time to spell it all out for me! 

DBDukes

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:18 pm

Mangorunner wrote:
Wow, thank you!  No, I do not think you are a jerk!  That is exactly what I was wanting - someone to show me exactly what I was doing wrong.  And you did it.  You were right - I had not removed the channel AND restarted the Roku AND re-added the channel - in that order and as one entire process.  I just did it - and of course, I had to resign onto the network - and it worked!  This process is MUCH LESS tedious than a Factory Reset.  This I can live with.  (And I don't have to beg a network to re-add an episode that won't load.)

Oh, JOY!  THANK YOU, DBDukes and Tanner.  Tanner, I'm sorry I didn't "get" what you wrote the first time.  This has made my day.  Thanks, ya'll!

P.S.  Thank you for caring enough to take the time to spell it all out for me! 

I'm just glad it's working. I certainly understand the frustration when things don't go as they should.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

RokuTannerDB

Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:38 am

@Mangorunner - So glad that did the trick! (Queue the happy dance!! :D

@DBDukes - Thanks for helping clarify the order of operations. Precise as always!  :wink:
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

A40izzum

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:55 am

I have been experiencing this issue for a few weeks now....only it doesn't happen on any one particular app but all of them. The only solution I found was to sign out of the app, and then log back in with my cable provider, which is a huge pain to do between every single half hour episode. I have tried the suggestions word for word in this post and nothing fixes the problem.

I seriously hope this can be remedied or I will most definitely quit using the Roku platform altogether and switch to FireSticks or some other hardware for the entire household, as this is a problem on all five Roku devices/Roku TVs I own.

DBDukes

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:27 am

A40izzum wrote:
I have been experiencing this issue for a few weeks now....only it doesn't happen on any one particular app but all of them. The only solution I found was to sign out of the app, and then log back in with my cable provider, which is a huge pain to do between every single half hour episode. I have tried the suggestions word for word in this post and nothing fixes the problem.

I seriously hope this can be remedied or I will most definitely quit using the Roku platform altogether and switch to FireSticks or some other hardware for the entire household, as this is a problem on all five Roku devices/Roku TVs I own.

It's a little different when you have multiple devices. You see, for some family of apps, they actually do support a form a single sign on. So, to fix any issue with those, you'll need to remove all the related apps from a Roku device, then reboot that device. Then, go to each Roku device and remove the apps and reboot the device. Even if the app isn't showing, reboot the device.

Roku doesn't control nor care how long you are signed in. That's completely between the app maker, the channel/network service, and the cable/satellite/streaming provider service. That'll be true for any other streaming device.

It's possible something was corrupted in an app install, and that's causing the sign outs. Removing, rebooting, and reinstalling usually solves that issue. The complication is having to do it on multiple devices, since any or all could have a corruptions in data.

Another possibility that many live to overlook, is the sharing of sign ons. This may not be applicable to you, but others with similar issues may need to know that, in general, these services don't want you sharing sign ons. If they detect multiple logins from multiple locations, they may force a sign in again. Not all apps makers care, and neither does Roku. But some do, and they can enforce that.

One other thing... you said this happens on all apps. So, it happens on NBC? It happens on ESPN? It happens on TCM? It happens on Netflix? It happens on Hulu? It happens on BBC America? It happens on Britbox? It happens on Food Network? ... You see my point? Don't say "all." Say specific examples. 3-5 are usually enough to get an idea of where this might be happening.

When it comes to troubleshooting issues, more information is better than less information, and specific information is better than generalizations.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)