Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jontalk
Topic Author

Back Friday Roku Ultra deal: is it worth upgrading?

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:48 pm

I've had my Roku 3 for years and its been rock solid. About 5 months ago I upgraded my plasma TV to an LG OLED which is spectacular to say the least. I see that the Ultra will be selling at HALF PRICE for $49.95 on Black Friday  which is far less than even used ones go for on Ebay. From what I've seen in this forum, the 4640 seems to have less issues than the 4660 which I believe is the one that goes on sale. My home theater is top notch, though the AVR doesn't support 4K but it does support all Dolby formats except for Atmos. All devices route THROUGH the AVR including the Roku and TV. Any thoughts about whether its worthwhile to take advantage of the Black Friday deal? Thanks
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.

DBDukes

Re: Back Friday Roku Ultra deal: is it worth upgrading?

Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:02 pm

jontalk wrote:
I've had my Roku 3 for years and its been rock solid. About 5 months ago I upgraded my plasma TV to an LG OLED which is spectacular to say the least. I see that the Ultra will be selling at HALF PRICE for $49.95 on Black Friday  which is far less than even used ones go for on Ebay. From what I've seen in this forum, the 4640 seems to have less issues than the 4660 which I believe is the one that goes on sale. My home theater is top notch, though the AVR doesn't support 4K but it does support all Dolby formats except for Atmos. All devices route THROUGH the AVR including the Roku and TV. Any thoughts about whether its worthwhile to take advantage of the Black Friday deal? Thanks

To clarify a point on which you seemed uncertain, the 4661 is the current model. The 4660 is the very same device. In fact, there are reports that some 4661 devices were actually marked 4660. That's not actually an issue, as the 4661 and 4660 are the exact same device, and the difference is the headphones that are in the box. The 4661 has better headphones. There is no other difference.

The 4640 was discontinued in 2017. Roku stopped selling it at that time. If any store has a Roku Ultra on sale, it's likely a special price on the 4661, or a reduction in stock of the 4660 (again, no difference in the player in models 4660/4661, just with the headphones that are packaged in the box with it).
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

jontalk
Topic Author

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:41 am

DBDukes wrote:
jontalk wrote:

To clarify a point on which you seemed uncertain, the 4661 is the current model. The 4660 is the very same device. In fact, there are reports that some 4661 devices were actually marked 4660. That's not actually an issue, as the 4661 and 4660 are the exact same device, and the difference is the headphones that are in the box. The 4661 has better headphones. There is no other difference.

Thanks for the model number clarification though my goal was advice regarding the upgrade from the Roku 3 :) I've seen threads in this forum with people experiencing audio and other issues with the 4660/4661 so I'd rather not spend money if it's going to be trouble.

The 4640 was discontinued in 2017. Roku stopped selling it at that time. If any store has a Roku Ultra on sale, it's likely a special price on the 4661, or a reduction in stock of the 4660 (again, no difference in the player in models 4660/4661, just with the headphones that are packaged in the box with it).
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.

DBDukes

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:53 am

jontalk wrote:
DBDukes wrote:
jontalk wrote:

Thanks for the model number clarification though my goal was advice regarding the upgrade from the Roku 3 :) I've seen threads in this forum with people experiencing audio and other issues with the 4660/4661 so I'd rather not spend money if it's going to be trouble.

If you have any doubts about the Ultra, don't upgrade.

Having said that, do be on the lookout for Roku OS 9 to be delivered soon. Whether or not that will resolve the issues that some Ultra users report, we won't know until after they get it. It's already rolling out, but only a few people have it.

Also, keep in mind that not everyone is reporting issues with the Ultra. So, whether or not this select group finds the issue resolved, we won't know. Keep watching the forum for reports regarding that issue and 9.0
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

jontalk
Topic Author

Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:43 pm

Appreciate the feedback and advice. My Roku 3 has yet to update to OS 9 though my device won't be able to take advantage of some of the new features, another reason I'm considering the upgrade. In some ways the Black Friday deal is a no brainer and as you know, the problems some experience with devices tends to be the minority of owners. Personally I've yet to have a problem with a Roku having owned one since the first generation!
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan

blue_94_trooper

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:06 am

I recently upgraded from a (2nd Gen) Roku 2 to an Ultra (4660).  I also have a couple of Roku 3's.  The Ultra definitely seems faster to me and I've had no issues with it (other than not being able to get BBC America to work but I now have the same issue on my 3).  I'm not sure I've gained much besides the speed, I don't use the Roku remote (I have a Harmony hub setup) which I think has most of the feature differences.  Like you, I route mine through an AVR (Onkyo).

I'm not sure if there's much there compelling you to upgrade but that price is hard to pass up.  I have to assume at some point the current Ultras will be getting s/w updates that the 2's and 3's are not.
SoundBridge M500 (retired), PhotoBridge HD1000 rev. B (retired)
Roku 2 XS (retired), Roku XD (retired)
Roku 3 x2, Roku 2, Roku Ultra

bozzy

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:18 am

DBDukes wrote:
jontalk wrote:

To clarify a point on which you seemed uncertain, the 4661 is the current model. The 4660 is the very same device. In fact, there are reports that some 4661 devices were actually marked 4660.

All 4661 units are marked as 4660. It is only 4661 on the box. Internally, the box still shows 4660.

jontalk
Topic Author

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:49 am

blue_94_trooper wrote:
I recently upgraded from a (2nd Gen) Roku 2 to an Ultra (4660).  I also have a couple of Roku 3's.  The Ultra definitely seems faster to me and I've had no issues with it (other than not being able to get BBC America to work but I now have the same issue on my 3).  I'm not sure I've gained much besides the speed, I don't use the Roku remote (I have a Harmony hub setup) which I think has most of the feature differences.  Like you, I route mine through an AVR (Onkyo).

I'm not sure if there's much there compelling you to upgrade but that price is hard to pass up.  I have to assume at some point the current Ultras will be getting s/w updates that the 2's and 3's are not.

Thanks Blue 94 trooper...this was the feedback I was searching for. I assume your Onkyo supports 4K? Also the details about OS 9 state some of the new features will NOT be available on the Roku 2 oir 3 nor does it stream 4K HDR as you know. I'm also assuming you have a 4K TV similar to my LG OLED which upscales content, the quality varying much as the content does. I'll  probably take advantage of the Black Friday deal and if it doesn't play out well, I can always sell it for the same price or more. Watching them on Ebay, many used ones sell for over $65 :) Thanks again
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan

blue_94_trooper

Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:51 pm

jontalk wrote:
Thanks Blue 94 trooper...this was the feedback I was searching for. I assume your Onkyo supports 4K? Also the details about OS 9 state some of the new features will NOT be available on the Roku 2 oir 3 nor does it stream 4K HDR as you know. I'm also assuming you have a 4K TV similar to my LG OLED which upscales content, the quality varying much as the content does. 

Actually I don't have 4K.  The TV is a 1080P 54" Panasonic plasma that I am still very happy with and the Onkyo is about the same age (2009/2010).
SoundBridge M500 (retired), PhotoBridge HD1000 rev. B (retired)
Roku 2 XS (retired), Roku XD (retired)
Roku 3 x2, Roku 2, Roku Ultra

jontalk
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:19 pm

blue_94_trooper wrote:
jontalk wrote:
Thanks Blue 94 trooper...this was the feedback I was searching for. I assume your Onkyo supports 4K? Also the details about OS 9 state some of the new features will NOT be available on the Roku 2 oir 3 nor does it stream 4K HDR as you know. I'm also assuming you have a 4K TV similar to my LG OLED which upscales content, the quality varying much as the content does. 

Actually I don't have 4K.  The TV is a 1080P 54" Panasonic plasma that I am still very happy with and the Onkyo is about the same age (2009/2010).

Wow...that's quite a surprise. I was a long time Panasonic plasma enthusiast, though in all honesty, it pales in comparison to the LG OLED . Brighter, expert level color/adjustments, bezel-free display, FAR more energy efficient and upscaling to 4K to name a few advantages. Watching films I'd seen many time previous on the plasma was like going to the theater seeing them for the first time. It's about as close to ideal as you can get. I could never go back to plasma. My electric bill dropped significantly too.
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan

atc98092

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:14 pm

I'm still using a Panasonic plasma, but only because I can't swing replacing it right now. It pales compared to my 4K Samsung, and that TV is two years old. Just have higher priorities, as we don't watch that TV very often. But it's still a good 1080 set. But I can't watch any of my HDR content on it, because that just looks terrible on it.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.