Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
User avatar
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Posts: 6627
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: Sling TV Credit - BBB Complaint filed

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:19 am

captivater wrote:
RokuShawnS wrote:
Did you contact Sling/Roku support?

That response is telling. Forgetting the fact that video and images can't be transmitted over the phone, most Filipino CS reps don't even know what JavaScript is.

I took the time to screen-record the bug. I tried an alternative device/OS/browser. I presented the evidence via a forum where Roku Support staff and Roku Engineers visit.

The issue deals with two companies' websites and requires their respective web designers to coordinate a solution - something an end-consumer can't facilitate through bottom-up phone support.

Roku is the entity reaping sales with that offer advertised. The onus is on Roku to ensure the offer can be redeemed.

And rather than being proactive in attempting to resolve it, you ask if I contacted the other company?
And you wonder why I would conclude that Roku has zero intention of actually fulfilling the advertised promotion?

Because if you had contacted Roku Support, you would have generated a case number.  That case number gives me the ability to place this is the hands of Tier 3 CS.

Because if you had contacted Sling Support, they could have helped you out directly.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
 
captivater
Topic Author
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:03 am

Re: Sling TV Credit - BBB Complaint filed

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:53 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
Because if you had contacted Roku Support, you would have generated a case number.  That case number gives me the ability to place this is the hands of Tier 3 CS.

Because if you had contacted Sling Support, they could have helped you out directly.

Thanks for bringing that problem to my attention.

Instead of attempting to document the issue towards generating a solution, It would have been a better use of time and energy to have redundantly explained the issue while teaching low-level outsourced CS reps web-dev fundamentals like Javascript, web-rendering engines, handshakes, handoffs, token-generation, and various other web-dev concepts from the start.

Totally my fault. I should have known better.
 
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4969
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: Sling TV Credit - BBB Complaint filed

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:08 am

You sound like you want to argue more than you actually want help. We get it, you think you're smarter than the tech support. That doesn't mean you don't need to talk to them to initiate the process. 
 
blue_94_trooper
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:08 pm

Re: Sling TV Credit - BBB Complaint filed

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:29 am

I'll PayPal the guy the $35 if he'll just shut the flower up.
SoundBridge M500 (retired), PhotoBridge HD1000 rev. B (retired)
Roku 2 XS (retired), Roku XD (retired)
Roku 3 x2, Roku 2, Roku Ultra
 
captivater
Topic Author
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:03 am

Re: Sling TV Credit - BBB Complaint filed

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:36 am

mikebdoss wrote:
You sound like you want to argue more than you actually want help. We get it, you think you're smarter than the tech support. That doesn't mean you don't need to talk to them to initiate the process. 

Incorrect. I frequently use bottom-up tech support for resolving issues that they're trained to handle. (i.e. My remote isn't functioning properly. The device doesn't turn on. I can't remember my password. Etc.)

When there exists website development issues between promotion-partnered companies, or other out-of-the-norm issues that will 100% guarantee require high level support, oversight, and delineation from the script - I would just as soon not waste my time - when other & more efficient avenues exist.

Big Roku fan. Have many Roku TVs & devices in my house. That said, they are wrong on this. It would serve everyone's best interests to get the problem acknowledged & resolved rather than being concerned whether the bureaucratic support procedure was followed.
 
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4969
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: Sling TV Credit - BBB Complaint filed

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:54 am

captivater wrote:
When there exists website development issues between promotion-partnered companies, or other out-of-the-norm issues that will 100% guarantee require high level support, oversight, and delineation from the script - I would just as soon not waste my time - when other & more efficient avenues exist.

Big Roku fan. Have many Roku TVs & devices in my house. That said, they are wrong on this. It would serve everyone's best interests to get the problem acknowledged & resolved rather than being concerned whether the bureaucratic support procedure was followed.

I'm sure they are. Shawn doesn't just look at posts like this and ignore them. 

That said, this is obviously a Sling issue, given it's a problem on their website. Roku is just the partner here. Their yelling might get heard before yours or mine would, but ultimately, that's all they can do, too. Blaming Roku for this, throwing your FTC and BBB threats out there, and responding over and over that you're right and everyone else is wrong is just making you look rude.
 
captivater
Topic Author
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:03 am

Re: Sling TV Credit - BBB Complaint filed

Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:14 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
That said, this is obviously a Sling issue, given it's a problem on their website. Roku is just the partner here. Their yelling might get heard before yours or mine would, but ultimately, that's all they can do, too. Blaming Roku for this, throwing your FTC and BBB threats out there, and responding over and over that you're right and everyone else is wrong is just making you look rude.

The issue has to do with the redirect coinciding with token generation & receipt. That's a handoff between two websites. It requires coordination between both Roku's website and Sling's. It is an issue that would never get resolved through front-line phone support. Roku advertises the offer as a selling point for their devices. The onus is on them to ensure their advertised offer can be redeemed.

I am right about that. If other people want to argue, that is their prerogative. If that makes them wrong; how is that my fault?
 
drphibes13
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:44 pm

Re: Sling TV Credit - BBB Complaint filed

Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:39 pm

If you put nearly as much effort into contacting Roku support, and Sling support as suggested, instead of complaining on here, I'm pretty sure by now you you would be much, much closer to resolution. Believe me issues aren't pretty for anyone, not the customer, not the business, not anyone. But going on to a user forum complaining, and trying to figure out who is at fault all day every day is not going to get you to where you want to be. If you are really serious about getting resolution, learn to take advice, and follow suggestions. That's my advice. Take it, or leave it.
 
captivater
Topic Author
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:03 am

Re: Sling TV Credit - BBB Complaint filed

Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:53 pm

drphibes13 wrote:
If you put nearly as much effort into contacting Roku support, and Sling support as suggested, instead of complaining on here, I'm pretty sure by now you you would be much, much closer to resolution.

Right. Such an incredible amount of effort should be put into attempting to redeem an advertised offer. Proving my point (claps)

I'll let the BBB forward the complaint & deal with corporate. Or BBB will put me in touch with the media. After all, somebody funds the BBB.

Not everyone wants to see Roku's shares climb. And if a company looking to buyout can drive down share pries before attempting a purchase, you'd better believe an instance like this would be capitalized upon to the utmost. Stupid $35 stunt to antagonize a longtime Roku user over, but whatever. I'll await next course of action from BBB.
 
drphibes13
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:44 pm

Re: Sling TV Credit - BBB Complaint filed

Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:57 pm

The issue is not something that was intended, or expected. Sometimes unexpected glitches happen. That's life. You were given advice on how to best get resolution. Even RokuShawn was willing to escalate your case to tier 3 support, to help. Again, if you were really serious about getting resolution you would spend more time doing what was advised, instead of being here. If not, you are not serious about resolution, and therefore have no more right to complain, in my opinion...
 
User avatar
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 5520
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: Sling TV Credit - BBB Complaint filed

Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:10 pm

Seriously, in the time it took you to create this thread and all the replies that went with it, you could have gotten this resolved. Instead you stomped your feet for days on end.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
 
ghb51
Posts: 330
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:07 am

Re: Sling TV Credit - BBB Complaint filed

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:47 pm

Seriously, in the time it took you to create this thread and all the replies that went with it, you could have gotten this resolved. Instead you stomped your feet for days on end.



Just quoting this because it deserves to be repeated. No one likes dealing with "low level" customer support and it's certainly annoying when things don't work as they should, but to waste two days on here while complaining about wasting time on "low level" customer support is jaw droppingly disingenuous to say the least, regardless, really looking forward to the national media providing 24 hour wall to wall coverage of your $35 dispute with Roku and Sling, pundits going over your javascript video like it's the Zapruder tape should be riveting.
 
User avatar
DBDukes
Posts: 1745
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:57 pm
Location: Southeast Georgia
Contact:

Re: Sling TV Credit - BBB Complaint filed

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:17 pm

captivater wrote:
RokuShawnS wrote:
Did you contact Sling/Roku support?

That response is telling. Forgetting the fact that video and images can't be transmitted over the phone, most Filipino CS reps don't even know what JavaScript is.

I took the time to screen-record the bug. I tried an alternative device/OS/browser. I presented the evidence via a forum where Roku Support staff and Roku Engineers visit.

The issue deals with two companies' websites and requires their respective web designers to coordinate a solution - something an end-consumer can't facilitate through bottom-up phone support.

Roku is the entity reaping sales with that offer advertised. The onus is on Roku to ensure the offer can be redeemed.

And rather than being proactive in attempting to resolve it, you ask if I contacted the other company?
And you wonder why I would conclude that Roku has zero intention of actually fulfilling the advertised promotion?

So, that's a no?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)
 
User avatar
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Posts: 6627
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: Sling TV Credit - BBB Complaint filed

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:24 pm

This thread is going nowhere. Captivator, if you generate a case number with CS, I can help you. Just PM me the number and I'll get the ball rolling.

Otherwise, this thread is closed.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: YeahThatGuy and 29 guests