Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

tbg1
Topic Author

Why is OS 9.0 Rollout Taking So Long?

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:54 am

I have three Roku 3.0's and one Roku Ultra, and none of them have updated to the latest OS!  Therefore, I am unable to take advantage of the new Spotify channel.  This is outrageous that Roku treats a longtime customer with multiple devices by delaying a critical update.  Almost at the point of trashing my Roku's for something with more efficient updates and a company with upfront communication!

DBDukes

Re: Why is OS 9.0 Rollout Taking So Long?

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:04 am

tbg1 wrote:
I have three Roku 3.0's and one Roku Ultra, and none of them have updated to the latest OS!  Therefore, I am unable to take advantage of the new Spotify channel.  This is outrageous that Roku treats a longtime customer with multiple devices by delaying a critical update.  Almost at the point of trashing my Roku's for something with more efficient updates and a company with upfront communication!

For a long-time Roku user, you have a short memory. Roku has always rolled out major releases over extended periods. They communicated the release would be rolled out from November through the next quarter. You may not get it until March. Or you may get it tonight. Just like it’s been for years.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

Miami Son

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:36 am

You really think Roku can identify customers by length of use and targets them to be updated first? The updates are done at random, probably by geographic area or possibly by serial number, but I seriously doubt they can even identify a customer's equipment by how long they have had it in use and target them specifically for an update.

tbg1
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:34 am

Then perhaps Roku needs to scale up so they can update everybody at once!  Seems pretty logical of a request.  Complete nonsense!

tbg1
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:35 am

Miami Son wrote:
You really think Roku can identify customers by length of use and targets them to be updated first? The updates are done at random, probably by geographic area or possibly by serial number, but I seriously doubt they can even identify a customer's equipment by how long they have had it in use and target them specifically for an update.

Of course they can.  My online account lists all my devices and date of activation.  This isn't rocket science.

andyross

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:01 am

tbg1 wrote:
Then perhaps Roku needs to scale up so they can update everybody at once!  Seems pretty logical of a request.  Complete nonsense!

Just what Roku needs: A bug causing EVERY Roku to be bricked at the same time...

tbg1
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:19 am

andyross wrote:
tbg1 wrote:

Just what Roku needs: A bug causing EVERY Roku to be bricked at the same time...

So we should wait as long as 5 months (Nov 1st thru Q1 2019) to get an update?  That is just ridiculous.

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:20 am

Not ridiculous.. cautious.. and it's very smart to roll out updates cautiously.

First world problems.. sheesh.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

blue_94_trooper

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:15 am

tbg1 wrote:
 Almost at the point of trashing my Roku's 

I say do it!
SoundBridge M500 (retired), PhotoBridge HD1000 rev. B (retired)
Roku 2 XS (retired), Roku XD (retired)
Roku 3 x2, Roku 2, Roku Ultra

Miami Son

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:51 am

tbg1 wrote:
Of course they can.  My online account lists all my devices and date of activation.  This isn't rocket science.

Actually, it is. What if they release to all and it bricks about half of their users and cause problems for another 25%? The resources needed to fix them would be enormous and there would be a lot of pissed off users. By going slow and randomly they can review any issues or bug reports manageably and fix them rather than having to deal with them en mass. 

speechles

Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:37 pm

If everyone got updated at once, you risk more updates to every single device. If you update some devices, find bugs, then later update other devices with this corrected firmware you skipped a firmware version of that device. They didn't experience the issue. So I believe Roku is doing the same thing here. The v9.0.x you get may not be the same as everyone else. The reason not everybody gets the update at once is because not everyone needs it. You might not need this version with all the bugs. You want the next version. Once they clean it up enough that the entire world can consume so be it. But right now you take small bites of the cake, see how the cake tastes to different folks, and adjust the recipe accordingly and issue new cake. The recipe probably isn't the final version hence the cake isn't finished. The OS9 update is the same vein. In open beta tests you can squash alot of issues. Then you need a real world test on a small scale to see how the average joe handles the update. If it appears all good with joe, maybe push up the sample pool to get the next update a little big larger. Keep expanding the pool of users being offered the next update until you get the size samples you need that tell you the good and bad. Squash the bad, increase the good and move forward. Eventually every single device is updated to OS9 but perhaps not the exact same build as it is always improving. To get there takes time. Time is the enemy.

Mazz

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:12 pm

I received the update Nov 1st, seen no drastic changes that affect the Roku except for the addition of Spotify in New and Notable. Other than that, it looks the same runs the same.

drphibes13

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:33 pm

Mazz wrote:
I received the update Nov 1st, seen no drastic changes that affect the Roku except for the addition of Spotify in New and Notable. Other than that, it looks the same runs the same.

If that's the case, then I'll be the first to admit I really really really would like a way to receive the update as well. I've been patient, hoping everyday is the day I can utilize Spotify on Roku again. I'm hoping for a push to allow for a manual update very soon! Fingers crossed!

NewFargo

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:01 pm

I understand Roku’s approach, but I would really like to have a force update option at least in technical menu, so it would be available only for users who I ready to trade stability for new functions.

MikeS3000

Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:04 pm

Slow roll-out does help squash bugs.  I bought 3 Roku Streaming Stick + models about a month ago.  On Nov. 1 only one of the three were updated to 9.0.0.  The other 2 are still on 8.1.  I noted a bug with the new audio leveling feature that causes loss of all audio after a day or so of being powered on.   I have to ether switch leveling off or restart the Roku to get sound back.  It's a minor bug for a new feature but this way Roku eliminates a lot of complaining and has a chance to squash bugs.