Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
steve841
Topic Author
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:18 am

Roku OS 9 / Dolby fail?

Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:24 am

Since my unit updated to OS9, I have noticed Dolby pass thru is no longer working.  It was fine prior to updating.

Can anyone else confirm this?

I have a Roku Ultra connected to a Samsung 4k TV via HDMI and then to a Vizio sound bar over HDMI ARC.

Netflix doesnt show 5.1 capability. Tablo indicates unit does not support Dolby and TV sound option for Dolby is now greyed out.

The Roku box is set to Dolby/DTS.

Works flawlessly on my other 8.1 units.
Last edited by steve841 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
jontalk
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: Roku OS 9 / Dolby fail?

Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:35 pm

Seriously? Is this the current Ultra model 4661 or the 4640 version from 2016? I ask since the new version is half price ($49.99) for the next few days. I was contemplating upgrading my Roku 3 due to having purchased an LG OLED some months ago, but don't need any problems. Roku 3 owners haven't seen the OS 9 update yet. Thanks
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA
 
steve841
Topic Author
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Roku OS 9 / Dolby fail?

Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:40 pm

About 90% sure it is...

Not at home to confirm.
 
User avatar
DBDukes
Posts: 1133
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:57 pm
Location: Jesup, GA
Contact:

Re: Roku OS 9 / Dolby fail?

Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:15 pm

FWIW, the 4661 and 4660 are the very same device. The only difference is the included headphones in the box. The 4661 device itself is a 4660.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)
 
User avatar
atc98092
Posts: 3122
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 pm
Location: Auburn, WA

Re: Roku OS 9 / Dolby fail?

Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:16 pm

jontalk wrote:
Seriously? Is this the current Ultra model 4661 or the 4640 version from 2016? I ask since the new version is half price ($49.99) for the next few days. I was contemplating upgrading my Roku 3 due to having purchased an LG OLED some months ago, but don't need any problems. Roku 3 owners haven't seen the OS 9 update yet. Thanks

The Ultra 4640 is 2016. The 4660 is 2017. The 2018 4661 is a marketing model number, in that the hardware is the same 4660 from 2017, with a better quality set of ear buds included. The 4640 has an optical out jack, but other than that I don't think you can tell the difference between a 4640 and 4660 from just looking at it. But there are a number of hardware differences between the 4640 and 4660 beyond the loss of the optical connection.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (2016), and Ultra (2016), Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, CenturyLink DSL
 
jontalk
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: Roku OS 9 / Dolby fail?

Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:54 pm

atc98092 wrote:
jontalk wrote:
Seriously? Is this the current Ultra model 4661 or the 4640 version from 2016? I ask since the new version is half price ($49.99) for the next few days. I was contemplating upgrading my Roku 3 due to having purchased an LG OLED some months ago, but don't need any problems. Roku 3 owners haven't seen the OS 9 update yet. Thanks

The Ultra 4640 is 2016. The 4660 is 2017. The 2018 4661 is a marketing model number, in that the hardware is the same 4660 from 2017, with a better quality set of ear buds included. The 4640 has an optical out jack, but other than that I don't think you can tell the difference between a 4640 and 4660 from just looking at it. But there are a number of hardware differences between the 4640 and 4660 beyond the loss of the optical connection.

Thanks..I'd learned this from another member and from what I can tell, it would appear there's advantages to the 2016 model. That said, AVR forum members are suggesting i pass on the Ultra until I purchase an AVR that supports the latest formats including 4K. Not sure I'm ready to do that yet though
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA
 
starl1te
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:18 am

Re: Roku OS 9 / Dolby fail?

Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:00 am

Not sure about OS9 issues, but if your Roku is set for Dolby instead of Dolby+ over HDMI, Netflix will not give a 5.1 option in 4660/4661. only the old 4640 has a Dolby decoder (to convert DD+ to regular Dolby).

The new Ultras are not really  related to 4640. They are simply rebranded old Premiere+. No decoder, no optical. The "dolby passthrough" thing is different from dolby decoder.
 
tomr50
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:38 am

Re: Roku OS 9 / Dolby fail?

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:02 am

Has there been any "Official" response from Roku??? When I called tech support they were clueless.  

-Tom
 
steve841
Topic Author
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Roku OS 9 / Dolby fail?

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:22 am

It amazes me that anything gets done.

Support sent me the scripted reply. Then I suggested they read the email, then they sent it to another dept for review.
 
tomr50
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:38 am

Re: Roku OS 9 / Dolby fail?

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:27 am

Ain't that great. I'm still in the return time frame with the express. I may just return it and go with a fire TV stick.
 
User avatar
DBDukes
Posts: 1133
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:57 pm
Location: Jesup, GA
Contact:

Re: Roku OS 9 / Dolby fail?

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:36 am

tomr50 wrote:
Ain't that great. I'm still in the return time frame with the express. I may just return it and go with a fire TV stick.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/any-hope-for-d ... est/224974
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)
 
tomr50
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:38 am

Re: Roku OS 9 / Dolby fail?

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:52 am

Well flower.

-tom
 
steve841
Topic Author
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Roku OS 9 / Dolby fail?

Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:55 pm

Just updated to 9.0.0 build 4083-46.

Still no Dolby pass through...  :shock:
 
User avatar
RokuDale
Roku Engineering
Posts: 1846
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:59 am

Re: Roku OS 9 / Dolby fail?

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:06 pm

@OP, please post the model numbers of the Roku's you are using. If you change the audio to Auto instead of Dolby/DTS, what does the UI tell you that the TV can take?
 
steve841
Topic Author
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:18 am

Re: Roku OS 9 / Dolby fail?

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:11 pm

Here’s all the info.. 

Some basic facts to point out:
1. I have 7 Rokus. Various models.  This is the only one on OS9.
2. It worked fine on 8.1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iYPUVciq8ftoYeer8
Version info
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EB3V5pteMs8Bw9Fu7
Audio menu in AUTO
https://photos.app.goo.gl/aEsHHYwXJZjcpPBP7
Tablo error
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HpdS1h5wgg539nEs5
On Netflix does not show 5.1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DavidRosso and 16 guests