Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Yombo
Topic Author

Roku 2 media play doesn't play sound on some tv show files

Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:42 am

I have a Roku 2 4210x. 8.1.0 Build 4145-04. Over the past month or two some of the tv shows that I've been getting have no sound. Video is fine. The videos are on a NAS drive, a WD. The files play fine on my windows 10 computer with no added codex other than what comes with the computer (which I got in October). I've fiddled with the audio settings on the Roku and tried all of the different settings it allows me to. Sometimes I'll get a click sound when playing the file on some of the settings, others nothing at all. What I'm wondering is if the groups doing the shows are using a different codex than before and my Roku 2, being old, can't support it and was wondering if I needed to get a Roku Ultra or any other the other sticks.

I've looked at two files from the same group, that title their releases like : web.h264-memento. I have two different shows from the same group. When looking at their properties, the file that didn't work had information under the video (data rate 1100kps & total bitrate 1324kbps) and audio (224kbps) properties, while the one that did work had nothing.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

dgrace

Re: Roku 2 media play doesn't play sound on some tv show files

Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:52 am

Yes I do. This comes up a lot and the codec limitations are easily found on Roku's site.
I find commonly that files have AAC audio that is multichannel. The sound will not work. Several freeware programs can quickly convert that audio to AC3 multichannel or at worst, AAC two channel. Then you'll be golden. If you can't determine what codec is used just get mediainfo.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ

Yombo
Topic Author

Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:31 pm

So does this mean getting a newer Roku won't solve my issue? I don't really want to waste hours of my time to do some sort of magic trick to make it work, when it should just work. (Although I don't know how long it actually takes to do it.)

dgrace

Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:18 pm

A different roku won't change things. It should just work doesn't mean that my prius should do four wheel drive, and any device you get will have limitations. Try playing a dvd in your car cd player. If you are going to pirate video you are at the restriction of who ever created that file. It wasn't created for roku, though many will work.
If it is an mkv file, get mkvtomp4.  You can just change the audio. Takes a couple minutes, depending on computer abilities. If its an mp4, get avidemux and copy video but select different audio. 
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ

Yombo
Topic Author

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:32 pm

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:52 pm

If it is a problem with multichannel AAC, all the latest Roku's can decode multichannel AAC. It might solve your problem.

atc98092

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:16 pm

RokuDale wrote:
If it is a problem with multichannel AAC, all the latest Roku's can decode multichannel AAC. It might solve your problem.

Dale, has the codec page been updated with new info? I believe it still says 2 channel only. But I'll double-check.

EDIT: your support page still says this: 
Roku devices do not support AAC pass-through. Instead, Stereo AAC is transcoded to PCM stereo.

Roku TVs and some Roku players decode 5.1 AAC to PCM stereo for headphone, internal speaker, and HDMI/ S/PDIF (optical) output. However, Roku devices that support Dolby Audio decode connected via HDMI or S/PDIF (optical) to an A/V receiver that also supports Dolby Audio, will convert the audio to Dolby Digital 5.1.

So, does it now pass 5.1 AAC, or does it still drop it to stereo PCM?
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (2016), and Ultra (2016), Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, CenturyLink DSL

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:05 pm

No pass-thru of AAC; it will be decoded and mixed from 5.1 to stereo.