Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

permanentvacation
Topic Author

Help With History Channel and A&E networks

Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:51 pm

I just joined Roku this week and subscribe to Direct Tv NOW.  I install the History Channel App, choose my provider, enter code, says Success, even shows the Direct Tv NOW logo and says signed in to Direct Tv Now.  The Package I have does have History Channel as do all the packages with Direct Tv NOW.   But when I go to watch a show on the History channel it shows as I am an UNAUTHORIZED user.  Now when I log into the History app on my cell, I can watch the same show with no problems using my Direct Tv Now info.    I have tried, deleting the app and was not logged into my computer, installed the app and keep getting the same error.   Found out it also happens with A&E.   Any Help would be appreciated.   I have been discussing this problem with A&E support too but have not gotten it resolved in 3 or 4 days.

Thanks In Advance

Roku Streaming Stick 3800R
Internet is provided by local cable Co
TV cable provider is Directv NOW

DBDukes

Re: Help With History Channel and A&E networks

Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:37 pm

How to remove/reinstall an app on Roku:

1. Log out of the app, if applicable.
  2. Remove the app
  3. Restart the Roku. Do not skip this step.
  4. Reinstall the app
  5. Log into the app

If you didn't do those steps in that order, you didn't perform the remove/reinstall.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

shellwig

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:00 pm

DBDukes wrote:
How to remove/reinstall an app on Roku:

1. Log out of the app, if applicable.
  2. Remove the app
  3. Restart the Roku. Do not skip this step.
  4. Reinstall the app
  5. Log into the app

If you didn't do those steps in that order, you didn't perform the remove/reinstall.

Followed the steps above went into the Menu (*) clicked "Your Profile" and the channel kicks me out to the Main Roku Menu.  Reproducable.
Started History Channel, went to Menu (*) "Sign in with you TV Provider".  Successfully registered with Xfinity.
Tried to watch a show and it throws a message "User not Authenticated"
Exit History and try again, now I am no longer signed in with Xfinity.
Issue ID 38-487-076
History Version 2.2 build 6
Roku Stick 3500X - Version 8.1 build 4131-09
This does not happen on my 3500X running version 9 code.

DBDukes

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:44 am

shellwig wrote:
Followed the steps above went into the Menu (*) clicked "Your Profile" and the channel kicks me out to the Main Roku Menu.  Reproducable.

It doesn't kick me out when I do that. So, how you justify saying it's reproducible? You did it more than once? All that means is its a consistent issue for you. If others can't reproduce the error following the same steps, it's not really reproducible.

When I click "Your Profile" I am prompted with the registration page. So, there needs to be something else looked into with your setup.

shellwig wrote:
Started History Channel, went to Menu (*) "Sign in with you TV Provider".  Successfully registered with Xfinity.

Although I can't be certain, the issue you reported earlier -- My Profile kicking you out -- may be related to this in some way. Some issue that is manifest by these two things.

shellwig wrote:

Issue ID 38-487-076

You said "followed the steps above." Here's what we need to do before we proceed, because if this wasn't done and ruled out, we may not find a solution. So, expressly state that you did the following, all of the following, and in the following order. Any other order or steps is incorrect and should not be done.

1. Remove the app.
  2. Reboot the Roku.
  3. Reinstall the app.

Again, state that you did this, and the order in which you did this. Sorry for being such a stickler (or jackass) about this. Others who have been told this in the past said "did that" when they really didn't, or didn't do it in that order, only later, after much wasted time, admitting it. Don't be that guy. Let's work together and see if we can figure this out.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

shellwig

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:50 pm

DBDukes wrote:
shellwig wrote:

It doesn't kick me out when I do that. So, how you justify saying it's reproducible? You did it more than once? All that means is its a consistent issue for you. If others can't reproduce the error following the same steps, it's not really reproducible.

When I click "Your Profile" I am prompted with the registration page. So, there needs to be something else looked into with your setup.

shellwig wrote:

Although I can't be certain, the issue you reported earlier -- My Profile kicking you out -- may be related to this in some way. Some issue that is manifest by these two things.

shellwig wrote:

Issue ID 38-487-076

You said "followed the steps above." Here's what we need to do before we proceed, because if this wasn't done and ruled out, we may not find a solution. So, expressly state that you did the following, all of the following, and in the following order. Any other order or steps is incorrect and should not be done.

1. Remove the app.
  2. Reboot the Roku.
  3. Reinstall the app.

Again, state that you did this, and the order in which you did this. Sorry for being such a stickler (or jackass) about this. Others who have been told this in the past said "did that" when they really didn't, or didn't do it in that order, only later, after much wasted time, admitting it. Don't be that guy. Let's work together and see if we can figure this out.

I justify saying the "Your Profile" crash is reproducible because it was not a one time thing, every time I do it the channel crashes.  If I go through the provider registration process I can click my profile and log in and out with no problem.  The problem is if I try to do so before being linked to my provider it crashes, every time.  Anytime I try to watch a show I get the user not authenticated message.  The only difference is if I am not linked to my provider most shows display the locked icon.  When I am not logged in to my provider  the latest episode of "The Curse of Oak Island" has the lock icon while the latest episode of Vikings does not.  I try to watch Oak Island - User not Authenticated, I try to watch Vikings and the channel exits and I am back at the Roku Home Screen. 
I am not speaking for anyone else, just stating for me this happens every time.  I believe we are in agreement; the profile crashing, getting the not authenticated message immediately after registering with my provider, and the fact that closing the channel results in said registration being lost are most likely all related.    I do not think it is a problem with my Comcast account, I use the same one to watch the channel on my 9.0 Roku (same model but it is newer so perhaps there is a minor hardware difference).  I use the same History Profile on each stick, but the problem happens whether or not I am logged into my profile.  The two sticks use different Roku accounts (email registration so they have different channels installed) but are on the same wi-fi network, and I have used them both in the same TV.  The problem is with this particular stick.

What I did to try and resolve this was, in the following order: remove the History Channel, reboot the Roku, Add the History Channel, Start the History Channel, Successfully register with Comcast, Try and watch a show, receive the "User Not Authenticated" message.

No need to apologize for being a stickler, it is worse to make assumptions that turn out to be incorrect and just waste time.  I added to this thread because it seems similar to my issue (which is why I tried the steps you provided, more than once).  History has been giving me trouble for a while, initially  I had the same trouble with the 2.2 build 5 on this stick, the 9.0 stick was working and already had build 6 so I thought that might have been it and just waited.  I did a hard reset several weeks ago and I currently have 52 channels installed, several I have not started since the reset but I have had more in the past.
Any ideas?  Currently all I got is waiting until I get 9.0 and hoping that resolves it.

weiherc

Re: Cannot access all History Channel episodes

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:54 pm

I started having the same problem 4 days ago. I have a Roku 4 and Wave as my cable provider. I can watch History chanel on my TV but on the Roku. I have tried all the same fixes.