Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ltek
Topic Author

Roku Ultra 2018... passthrough for Dolby TrueHD / Atmos , DTS-X, DTS-MA, etc?

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:43 pm

I'm seeing conflicting info on the web, this forum, etc. Roku Ultra Web Site shows...

DTS Digital Surround™ pass through over HDMI
Dolby Audio™ and Dolby ATMOS® pass through over HDMI

Does it properly pass through lossless DTS-MA and TrueHD?

I stream my own DVD & BluRay rips. Without DTS-MA & TrueHD Atmos working, I won't want a Roku.

atc98092

Re: Roku Ultra 2018... passthrough for Dolby TrueHD / Atmos , DTS-X, DTS-MA, etc?

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:54 am

Negative. No lossless audio. But the web site is telling the truth, just not in detail. It will passthrough lossy DTS and DD via HDMI to an AVR that can decode it. And the Dolby Atmos it is referring to is the Dolby Digital Plus/Atmos offered by Vudu and a few other online sources. 
The only player I know that supports lossless audio bitstreaming for under $200 is the Nvidia Shield. That is precisely the reason I bought one. I still use and enjoy my Roku players and TVs, but for my 4K display I have the Shield to play the audio as expected. This includes TrueHD/Atmos and DTS:X from my UHD Blu Ray rips on my media server. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (2016), and Ultra (2016), Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, CenturyLink DSL

ltek
Topic Author

Re: Roku Ultra 2018... passthrough for Dolby TrueHD / Atmos , DTS-X, DTS-MA, etc?

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:18 am

Dan, thx. I mainly wanted the Roku to use Emby and Amazon Prime Video. If I can't stream TrueHD and DTS-MA, it has far less value to me... Kicking myself for not having bought a Shield on BF.