Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

XavierL13
Topic Author

New Plex Media Player App for Roku: YUCK!

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:58 pm

OK, just launched my Plex Media Player app on my Roku.  YUCK! Seems to be version 6.1.1.5282-4907f2688.
Expert user of Plex Media Server (and Player) since about 2011, and I just can't figure out this new setup. WHY??

Where are all My Channels (Plugins)?  Darn You Plex!
Change for Changes sake is biting me in the Butt!
I have plenty of active Channels/Plugins in my latest version of Plex Media Server, BUT
the "Channels/Plugins" screen is Not in the Newest version of Plex Media Player 
(still visible in my other Roku's that still have the older version of Plex Media Player)

LITERALLY got removed at 1:45PM PST on 12-06-2018.  DARN!

I'm Off to the Plex  Users forum to see what the heck is going on.
Take a look at yours if you use it, prepare to be astonished IF yours just updated today.
RokuTV 50" Hitachi 4K, Running Roku OS 8.2.0 Build 4170.
Last edited by XavierL13 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Roku Cordcutting Family Since 2011: Synology NAS 8TB/Plex Server; AppleTV2+JB +Infuse;
Roku 2720R (x4); Roku Streaming Sticks (all 3versions); Roku Express+ 3710 (x2)/3910RW (x2);
Sharp RokuTV 32” 1080p 5316X; Hitachi RokuTV 4K UHD 50R8 / 6402X (x2)..

twiceover

Re: New Plex Media Player App for Roku: YUCK!

Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:08 pm

They removed plugins to please Roku.  Well, their official response is "Nobody used them" but I'm pretty sure it was Roku saying "You guys are pretty shady, but if you get rid of 'Channels' we'll keep you on the platform and the box".  100% my interpretation of what happened.

Looks like I won't be able to watch Football anymore after the update.

bozzy

Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:13 pm

twiceover wrote:
They removed plugins to please Roku.  Well, their official response is "Nobody used them" but I'm pretty sure it was Roku saying "You guys are pretty shady, but if you get rid of 'Channels' we'll keep you on the platform and the box".  100% my interpretation of what happened.

Plex announced they were removing plugins from all platforms. It had nothing to do with Roku.

twiceover

Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:20 pm

bozzy wrote:
twiceover wrote:

Plex announced they were removing plugins from all platforms. It had nothing to do with Roku.

Sounds good.

BooBooKitty

Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:55 am

I actually like it alot.  I think it's crisper and cleaner.  I've had it on my Smart TV for a while so maybe I'm just used to it now.  I never used the Channels so I didn't even know they are no longer supported.  

Bacon

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:20 am

Plex is killing plugins. They're still in older versions of clients and might work, but there's no guarantee a future Plex Server update won't break them in the future.

I like the new app, and the UI is pretty customizable too.

DarkJedi

Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:15 pm

The channel plugins are the only thing I use Plex for. Without them, it's good bye Plex/app. Don't get me wrong, I know others use it for other purposes, probably more its intended purposes, and that's all great for you. Not so great for me.

wildsprite

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:54 am

the new plex channel is atrocious, it isn't even remotely close to finished yet and was rushed out the door.
plex didn't remove plugins to appease Roku. plex didn't even remove them. they removed the ability to use them in multiple clients but the server can still install them manually which is pointless now.
I removed plex from my devices and now use Emby which was much faster at finding the metadata for my media library. I needed to correct a lot less as well not to mention when I did correct them it had options that helped the metadata plugins find my stuff when plex would outright refuse to find them even though the metadata providers had data on the stuff I was looking for

Emby gets 5 stars from me while honestly I think at this point if I could I would give plex -5 stars for how they ignore their userbase

atc98092

Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:12 pm

I keep Plex mainly to access my media while traveling. I'm in a hotel right now with full access to my home server via Plex and my Roku Stick. However, with a 2 Mbps connection speed at the hotel,I haven't really bothered. I've just stuck with YouTube and Amazon, since they seem to adapt to these slow speeds much better than my server can. 
At home I never use Plex, unless I need caption support that Roku doesn't offer. I use Roku Media Player with Serviio as my DLNA server, for which I have created multiple Roku profiles to ensure as little transcoding as possible. Or on my 4K TV I use an Nvidia Shield, which supports everything, including lossless audio and captions in any container, without transcoding. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (2016), and Ultra (2016), Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, CenturyLink DSL

wildsprite

Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:23 pm

atc98092 wrote:
I keep Plex mainly to access my media while traveling. I'm in a hotel right now with full access to my home server via Plex and my Roku Stick. However, with a 2 Mbps connection speed at the hotel,I haven't really bothered. I've just stuck with YouTube and Amazon, since they seem to adapt to these slow speeds much better than my server can. 

I suggest Emby for remote access, it right now is much better than plex. not to mention it doesnt have a truly awful not finished user interface. not to mention you also get more with emby without premium than you do with plex without premium

mike.s

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:20 pm

Could be worse. You could be talking about the Plex server.

roberto188

Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:04 am

Yeah. In regards to Emby, their forum/customer support is about 10000x better. Half of the Plex posts never even get a reply from the Plex "team". And I'm not talking about feature requests, I'm talking, posting a server log showing a failure of a baisc function and they simply ignore it. Emby guys are A1. Especially in the Roku forums.

scrambler

Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:41 pm

To Roberto, on the Roku, how good is Emby at FFW and RWD the various formats like mkv, mp4, avi….?