Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Tavstvissues
Topic Author

Ultra with older tv

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:04 pm

I was using a Roku3 with my older tv connected through an hdmi to rca converter. It stopped working out of the blue one day, so I just bought an Ultra. It doesn't seem to work with the converter. Will the Ultra work at all this way? In other words, will a new converter or different kind of converter work? If so, which kind?

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Ultra with older tv

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:14 pm

Get a new TV. What you have is like trying how to figure out how hook an answering machine up to an iPhone. You're asking how to get a 4K streamer to work with a TV that only has RCA jacks? I'm not being rude, but you need to bring your TV at least a little up to par with the stuff you're plugging into it.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz

Tavstvissues
Topic Author

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:02 pm

Well, I saw that one coming, lol. I was trying to connect to a particular older tv in my house, a bedroom tv I haven't upgraded yet. I thought the ultra streamed regular hd also, which is why I thought my old set up might still work for now.

atc98092

Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:46 am

The last Roku that supported analog connections was the Express+. But that was last year's model, so finding one might prove difficult. Can't say why your HDMI/Analog converter won't work, but my guess is that it's also too old to support the 4K player. I just doesn't know how to handle 4K, and for whatever reason the Roku doesn't recognize that the adapter can't handle it and switch to a lower resolution. 
I think it's more cost effective to replace your TV, rather than continuing to fiddle with converters. Depending on the TV size, it might not cost that much more than a quality HDMI converter, and then you'll have something that is capable of accepting anything with an HDMI connection. I bought a 43" 4K Roku TV for about $300 a year ago, and smaller sets are far less than that. Since you already have the Ultra, you don't need a Smart TV, reducing the cost more. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (2016), and Ultra (2016), Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, CenturyLink DSL

Tavstvissues
Topic Author

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:06 am

Thanks for the explanation. Sometimes I like knowing why something doesn't work, and you're right, the converter is a little old. So, a new tv it is. Thanks again.

DBDukes

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:47 am

Tavstvissues wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. Sometimes I like knowing why something doesn't work, and you're right, the converter is a little old. So, a new tv it is. Thanks again.

Or, get an Express+ from Walmart. It’s $35. Not the Express, the Express+
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

makaiguy

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:11 pm

Tavstvissues wrote:

The fact that a new Roku through the same converter doesn't work either makes me suspect the converter itself died, not the Roku.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100