Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

SlingCreditScam
Topic Author

Sling $35 credit scam

Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Anyone else here fall victim to the Roku Black Friday scam offer of a $35 Sling TV credit with purchase of an Ultra? After registering my Roku, I clicked on the $35 Sling credit, which activated a 7-day free trial of Sling, but NOT a $35 credit! Roku support techs blame Sling for this problem, but after I contacted Sling TV support, they point the finger at....you guessed it....Roku!!! Roku support has been useless up to this point and I see many other unresolved complaints on these forums. False advertising or what?!?

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Sling $35 credit scam

Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:26 pm

Shocker.. Two companies blaming each other..

Bottom line.. the offer is from Sling, so it's up to them to make it right.. is that not common sense?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

SlingCreditScam
Topic Author

Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:38 pm

jeffrok wrote:
Shocker.. Two companies blaming each other..

Bottom line.. the offer is from Sling, so it's up to them to make it right.. is that not common sense?

Yup and neither company seemed the LEAST bit interested in making this right. Roku apparently doesn't give a sh-t after they get your money. Pretty weak response from their so-called "customer support" team!

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:50 pm

Well, if it's a Sling promo, Sling should be making this right, since you're paying them, not Roku.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

empirefalls

Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:57 pm

:
This is what i wrote Dec 3 in another thread.

"Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:30 pm.."....The newest  Roku Ultra from 2 weeks ago, the one with JBL headphones, I bought because it was $48 with a $35 Slingtv Credit. So it was almost free. But had a hassle with getting the Sling credit, so it may be going back"

Multiple Sling Tv Chat Reps told me contradicting things:
-the code was on the receipt.....it wasnt
--the code was in the box......it wasnt
---Walmart as usual were dumb as a truck of rocks for an answer
I returned the Roku Ultra as  i bought a Roku Ultra.

The offer was for First subscribers only, I am guessing when one tries to sign up with the new Roku, even with a new email account, Sling knows and prevents the one month trial from showing up.

PS watch out for Playstation vue offers!

wyldemusick

Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:50 am

The Sling credit being for new subscribers only faintly annoys me, especially as they have prepay plans where they give you a free Roku (DirecTV had something similar, or a free AppleTV with a three month prepay.)

fonzy35

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:56 pm

Same here, i was suppose to have 35 credit from sling, it look like i was suppose to activate sling in the first time in roku ultra initial setup..
I can remember seeing that , anyway i finish having 7 days free...

DBDukes

Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:23 pm

fonzy35 wrote:
Same here, i was suppose to have 35 credit from sling, it look like i was suppose to activate sling in the first time in roku ultra initial setup..

https://www.roku.com/offers
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

twiceover

Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:44 pm

DBDukes wrote:
fonzy35 wrote:

*Terms & Conditions

Sling TV: Offer of Promotional Credit available to new Sling TV subscribers that activate a new Roku player or a new Roku TV during the period commencing October 17, 2018 through January 23, 2019. 

For those that thought they could get the $35 and were already a sub.

DBDukes

Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:14 pm

twiceover wrote:
DBDukes wrote:
fonzy35 wrote:

*Terms & Conditions

Sling TV: Offer of Promotional Credit available to new Sling TV subscribers that activate a new Roku player or a new Roku TV during the period commencing October 17, 2018 through January 23, 2019.

For those that thought they could get the $35 and were already a sub.

For those with multiple email addresses ... well, it can be figured out from there.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

fonzy35

Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:09 am

one email and first time roku owner,  the company, walmart, roku or slingtv.. no want want to take responsibility after we only could take the 7 days free because the 35 credit didn't work for us, and i don't think im the only one... Now they say its for only for new customer... so buzz off customer, thats basically what they mean...

DBDukes

Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:28 am

fonzy35 wrote:
one email and first time roku owner,  the company, walmart, roku or slingtv.. no want want to take responsibility after we only could take the 7 days free because the 35 credit didn't work for us, and i don't think im the only one... Now they say its for only for new customer... so buzz off customer, thats basically what they mean...

The offer is from Sling TV. That's who's responsible. That's obvious. Why Sling is offering it for new customers only is only explainable by Sling. However, if you've never seen offers like that, then you've never dealt with AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, Comcast, or any ISP or cell phone company. Sling -- owned by DISH Network -- is doing the same thing those other companies do.

Oh, and only one email address, huh? Just one? With free email addresses provided by most ISPs, and available from Google, Apple, Microsoft, Yahoo, and a slew of there places. Just one, huh? Hmph.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

captivater

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:36 am

LOL
All these clowns blaming Sling for the error were the same jabronis blaming yours truly for coming to the forums rather than spending futile effort on Roku support in a previous thread.

As it is Roku who advertised the offer so that you would purchase their device, the onus is 100% on Roku to ensure the advertised offer is redeemable.
They should have used codes, but IMHO are using the offer to beta test their payment processing systems/website handoffs with partnered companies.

I filed a BBB complaint and have made some headway. They only responded after letting the complaint lapse and their rating was immediately docked from A+ to A-. Mostly lip service from Vince Thai, Director of Customer Support, but I rejected the nonchalant response so there will be a followup required of him.

I've long been a big fan of Roku and will continue to use and recommend their products, but they are absolutely wrong on this one. Their refusal to even acknowledge as much is vehemently reprehensible.

DBDukes

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:12 am

captivater wrote:
LOL
All these clowns blaming Sling for the error were the same jabronis blaming yours truly for coming to the forums rather than spending futile effort on Roku support in a previous thread.

As it is Roku who advertised the offer so that you would purchase their device, the onus is 100% on Roku to ensure the advertised offer is redeemable.
They should have used codes, but IMHO are using the offer to beta test their payment processing systems/website handoffs with partnered companies.

I filed a BBB complaint and have made some headway. They only responded after letting the complaint lapse and their rating was immediately docked from A+ to A-. Mostly lip service from Vince Thai, Director of Customer Support, but I rejected the nonchalant response so there will be a followup required of him.

I've long been a big fan of Roku and will continue to use and recommend their products, but they are absolutely wrong on this one. Their refusal to even acknowledge as much is vehemently reprehensible.

Would you explain in simple words so a jabroni like me can understand: how would you describe the problem? This is a serious question (well, the jabroni crack excepted). Perhaps I'm not seeing the issue the way you are. You've been around a bit (I have too, but haven't contributed as often as others) and you have, to my mind, a good grasp on things. You're experienced. You seem to know what's going on. But I'm not seeing this as you are. So, I'm missing something, or you are. Or both. So, it's a serious question. How would you describe the issue?
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

ghb51

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:27 am

No, it's not, the only entity responsible for the actions of Sling, is Sling. If this becomes a widespread problem and Roku continues to make Sling offers like this, you can infer that Roku just doesn't care and judge them accordingly, but that still doesn't make them responsible for the actions of Sling.