Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Hypersonic
Topic Author

I can't program the remote's TV power and volume buttons with the TCL Roku TV software

Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:55 am

The TCL 55R615 TV included a weak IR remote that barely works with a soundbar placed in front of it. I paired the TV with a different Roku remote, but the TCL Roku TV settings do not include an option for "setup remote for TV control." How am I suppose to program the TV volume and power buttons without this option? The only way that I can program these buttons is by using a Roku stick. There should be an easier way.

gadrago

Re: I can't program the remote's TV power and volume buttons with the TCL Roku TV software

Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:47 am

You are mixing two different things, the remote for a TCL Roku television and the remote for a Roku streaming box or streaming stick.  The TCL Roku televisions ship with either a Wifi Direct remote (617 series) or infrared remote (615 series) that is already capable of controlling the TV power/volume, so why would there be a menu option in the television to set up the remote for those functions?  It is in the menus for the Roku streaming boxes and streaming sticks because the TV power/volume control is an addon functionality to those streaming device remotes.  Besides, the streaming box or streaming stick remotes that have TV power/volume control those TV functions via infrared signals from the remote to the television.  So since your problem is that your soundbar is blocking line of sight to the TV sensor, one of those remotes would not perform any better than the infrared remote that came with your TCL television.  In your situation, you either need the WiFi Direct remote from a TCL 617 series (hard to purchase separately), an IR extender, or an IR repeater.  Or you can use the Roku app on a phone or tablet through your local network.

Hypersonic
Topic Author

Re: I can't program the remote's TV power and volume buttons with the TCL Roku TV software

Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:24 am

When I tried the Roku streaming stick's remote, I was able to control the TV's power without programming, but the volume buttons aren't working correctly with the Klipsch soundbar. The Klipsch soundbar is not able to recognize the volume button signal from the Roku stick remote, but it is able to recognize the TCL remote's volume buttons. I tried reprogramming the Klipsch to accept those TV signals, but it won't work. Therefore, I need to program the Roku remote to use different codes that the Klipsch will recognize.

Also, I can actually power the TV off by pointing the remote in the opposite direction; that's how much stronger the remote is than the TCL one.

The Roku app won't be able to control the TV power and volume buttons because my smartphone doesn't have IR.

gadrago

Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:40 pm

The Roku app on a phone or tablet links via your home network to a TCL television.  It does not use infrared.  It controls volume up/down and power off with 'Fast Start' disabled.  In order to power the television on, 'Fast Start' must be enabled in the television Settings, Power, Fast Start.

Tivoburkee

Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:07 pm

Neither a Roku tv Wifi direct  or the Stick Wifi direct remotes can be programmed to control ANY soundbar or stereo. They can only be programmed for  TV's!!! You maybe able to control it via hdmi cec? Firestick 4k remotes can be programmed for Soundbars.

Anyway I have two TCL Roku tv rc-al5 wifi-direct remotes, and no roku TV's. They con be paired with my roku stick plus, but the volume only controls TCL TV's.

Hypersonic
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:57 pm

Neither a Roku tv Wifi direct  or the Stick Wifi direct remotes can be programmed to control ANY soundbar or stereo. They can only be programmed for  TV's!!! You maybe able to control it via hdmi cec? Firestick 4k remotes can be programmed for Soundbars.

Some soundbars can be programmed to accept TV remote codes, such as this one. This soundbar doesn't have HDMI.

Tivoburkee

Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:23 pm

If TCL isn't listed as one of the brands it can control, try LG, Goldstar, or Insignia.

Hypersonic
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:39 pm

There is no way to reprogram the remote without a Roku stick. I was wondering if there is a way to do so without one.

twiceover

Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:48 pm

Hypersonic wrote:
There is no way to reprogram the remote without a Roku stick. I was wondering if there is a way to do so without one.

I think we are all confused on what you have for a remote.  If you are using the remote that came with the TCL TV, it is not programmable at all.  It is an IR remote.

Hypersonic
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:06 pm

I think we are all confused on what you have for a remote.  If you are using the remote that came with the TCL TV, it is not programmable at all.  It is an IR remote.

1. TCL R615 IR remote
  2. Roku Voice Remote with TV Power and Volume Buttons RC127

I also noticed that there is a Roku TV Voice Remote RC250 available.

blade_005

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:57 am

Hypersonic wrote:
The TCL 55R615 TV included a weak IR remote that barely works with a soundbar placed in front of it. I paired the TV with a different Roku remote, but the TCL Roku TV settings do not include an option for "setup remote for TV control." How am I suppose to program the TV volume and power buttons without this option? The only way that I can program these buttons is by using a Roku stick. There should be an easier way.

I had the same issue with TCL Roku Infrared Remote and a Soundbar blocking the direct line of sight to IR receiver on the TCL set. I found a simple and low cost solution was to add an IR Extender / Repeater and still use the remote that came with the set. It allows you to place the RECEIVER portion of the extender to the left or right of your soundbar for direct line of sight from anywhere and place the REPEATER portion of the extender under the TCL IR receiver that is in the middle of your TV and behind your soundbar. Simple low cost solution that gives me great response from the TCL Infrared Remote. See link below as an example.

IR Extender / Repeater Solution
TCL Roku 55P605 | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL Roku 32S301

Hypersonic
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:58 pm

I am aware of that solution, but it requires another cable. I would rather just replace the remote.

Hypersonic
Topic Author

Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:51 pm

I programmed the TV power and volume buttons using the Roku stick which worked with the TV and soundbar. However, when I went to pair the remote with the TV, it was successfully paired, but then the TV power and volume buttons no longer worked again with the soundbar. The buttons only work with the TV, but not the soundbar. I could not program the soundbar to accept the signals from the Roku remote while it was paired to the TV.

I decided to exchange the soundbar with another one that has HDMI ARC support. The problem is solved.