Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mathguyTulsa
Topic Author

STR-DH550 problem

Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:39 pm

I have a ROKU XD connected to a Sony STR-DH550 receiver, which in turn connects to an LG 65SJ6500 TV.  I use HDMI connections from my ROKU to my amp and from the amp to my TV.  The amp-to-TV uses the HDMI-Arc port on the TV, and HDMI pass-thru is turned on for the TV.
If I turn HDMI pass-thru ON on the Sony Amp, I can't turn OFF my system.  I turn it off, everything powers town, and within 10 seconds everything powers back on with the ROKU as the active port.  (If I disconnect the ROKU, this does not happen, so it's the ROKU that's turning everything back on.)
So, I turned off the HDMI pass-thru on my amp, and I can now power the system down.
HOWEVER, now when I'm watching ROKU, whenever I change the volume on the amp, the screen momentarily flashes to the amp's home page, displays a black screen except for the volume display, then after a couple of seconds the ROKU again displays whatever I was watching.   This interruption in the display is the problem I'm having--or the system-won't-turn-off problem.  I don't care which one I fix, but right now both are problems.
Of course, when using HDMI pass-thru, this doesn't happen--the volume works fine, including concurrent display of the volume level on the screen. the problem is that I can't turn the system off if I use HDMI pass-thru unless I physically disconnect the ROKU.
I've tried various combinations of settings on the amp and the ROKU, and nothing works.  Since the sequence is that the amp comes on and THEN the TV come on, I don't believe the problem is with the LG TV.  If there were a way to disable the onscreen-display from the amp, that would fix this, but there doesn't appear to be a way to do this.
Suggestions?

dgrace

Re: STR-DH550 problem

Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:37 am

I think that many, including myself, turn off ARC because of these kinds of complications. 
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ

mathguyTulsa
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:12 am

Okay, I figured out the problem with ROKU turning everything back on.  It was the screen saver coming on, sending a signal  which the amplifier interpreted as turning on the ROKU box, so the amplifier turned on, which in turn turned on the TV.  Disabling the screen saver on the ROKU box fixed this problem.  HDMI pass through works as before, with no blank screens when I change volume.   
FWIW, this problem first arose within the last couple of weeks, so I'm thinking there was an upgrade to the ROKU somewhere along the way that caused this glitch.  In any case, turning off the screen saver means it's now working properly.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:22 am

@OP What firmware version is the Roku running and which screensaver?

mathguyTulsa
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:59 am

I was running the aquarium screensaver.  The firmware version is whatever was most current yesterday--I checked.

atc98092

Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:07 pm

mathguyTulsa wrote:
I was running the aquarium screensaver.  The firmware version is whatever was most current yesterday--I checked.

They need your actual firmware version. Saying most current doesn't help, because different platforms are updated with different versions at different times. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), and Ultra (4640), Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, CenturyLink DSL

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:01 pm

Also, were you in the homescreen or in some other app at the time when the screensaver starts up? And yes, the actual firmware version is needed.

mathguyTulsa
Topic Author

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:31 am

Version 9.0.0, build 4084.  I'm not sure how I'd get a more recent version since the software checks daily.
The problem--re-starting without any action on my part--occurs within one minute of shut down when the screen saver is enabled. It doesn't matter whether I stop within an app like netflix or amazon, or stop from the home screen.  I never stop with a movie running or cued to run.  When I disabled the screen saver, this behavior ceased.

DBDukes

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:47 am

mathguyTulsa wrote:
Version 9.0.0, build 4084.  I'm not sure how I'd get a more recent version since the software checks daily...

The point wasn't that you would get a more recent than that. You simply said "latest" in your earlier. There are users that still have 8.x running, and when they check, they are told they don't have an update, as 9.x isn't rolled out to them yet. You are missing the point that not everyone gets the actual latest version at the same time, or even within months of each other. Even boxes on the same account won't get the updates at the same time. One of my devices got 9.0 a month before another one of my boxes. Which meant that on one of my Roku boxes, 9.0 was "latest" while on the other, 8.1 was "latest." Does that help explain why you should always state the exact version, and never just say "latest?"
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

mathguyTulsa
Topic Author

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:16 pm

Thanks to everyone for explaining in detail that I needed the version and build number.  I note, however, that there has been no follow-up from Roku support since I posted this information.  Worse, the box is still intermittently restarting the whole system, even though the screensaver is disabled.  Fortunately,  my LG TV has Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu built in, so I may just junk the Roku box as this is an unacceptable problem.

dgrace

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:41 pm

As far as I know, no one here works for Roku, so not likely going to get one to respond. There are knowledgeable folks, some with access to roku techs. 
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ

mathguyTulsa
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:26 pm

RokuDale, a member of the group "Roku Employees," posted in this thread.