Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

shmelvin
Topic Author

Nvidia Shield

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:56 pm

I have been using the Nvidia Shield for about two months and I have to say it totally blows Roku out of the water, the main test for me was Amazon as it always seemed slow to load and I constantly got "Not enough Band width" The Shield is lightening fast and has not once faltered on any playback. I had no Idea what Kodi was and at first glance still didn't But Wow! now I have a reasonable command of it you should ditch Roku for that alone. I have been loyal to Roku since the week it was introduced, I have at least 5 players including 2 ultras and will continue to carry one on the road with me, but at home it's dead. In closing all I can say is "Roku you need to up your game" and the second you have a better product than Nvidia, I will be at your doorstep, but until then I am a glowing Nvidia Shield Person of Good Streaming Taste.
OK Bring on the hate filled comments :)

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Nvidia Shield

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:44 pm

Well, the shield DOES cost 3x the price of the Roku, so I can see why it would perform better. Seriously, that's my answer..

Now what's the purpose of your post? To get people to ditch Roku for something more expensive but more powerful? There's a reason Roku's outsell Shields.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

shmelvin
Topic Author

Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:37 pm

My purpose is to let others know there is a much better option at less than twice the price of an Ultra and hopefully to encourage Roku to innovate, if nothing else open up Roku to Kodi and Tivo while they are at it. No one has been more loyal to Roku than me, but you reach a point where that Lexus just outshines the Cadillac to the point that you have no choice but to switch...I hope it is only for a short time, but only time will tell.

atc98092

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:01 pm

I have both a Shield and many Roku players and TVs. I feel there's a place for both. Yes, the Shield is more capable, but for the price it should be. For family use a Roku is far easier to use, especially with local media. RMP is far easier to use than Kodi. The Shield supports all codecs and containers. I don't think the Shield is any faster than my Ultra, Sharp TV or Stick. It's certainly faster than my Insignia TV, but that's not hard to do. :)
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (2016), and Ultra (2016), Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, CenturyLink DSL

ghb51

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:14 pm

I thought about getting a Shield, but the only difference I saw between it and the cheap generic Android boxes were 4k, which I don't need yet, and games, which it doesn't do very well on from what I saw, so if you like it, great, but it's not the competition crusher you seem to think it is when most people can have their needs met with a $29 Roku Express.

edit - and if you want kodi go buy a refurb pc for $100 from Walmart, slap kodi on it and hook it up to your tv and you’ll have kodi plus a fully functioning pc, not just a console with a browser.