Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

malrats
Topic Author

Re: 55S401 major audio delay issues...even when using an AVR! What is going on?!

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:17 pm

DubTaylor wrote:
malrats wrote:
DubTaylor wrote:
Here's 132 pages of various audio sync issues with various models - yes... been happening a LONG time. No relief in sight:
https://forums.roku.com/search.php?keywords=audio+sync

DTS/High Def Audio are the usual suspects. Convert to something else - manually. Yep, it's a work around, but a work around that works:
https://www.xmedia-recode.de/en/download.html
^that's what I use - 'cause it's just too easy.

I’m having this issue when watching live TV or Netflix or playing video games or things like that, so converting audio isn’t really something that I can do. :-/

Roger that...
Well, I'm sure a whole bunch of people are just as mystified as you are (judging by the sheer number of posts and users shouting for help). After reading about these issues for... years... there doesn't seem to be any real solution. Factory resets annoy - they do not cure.

At this point, so much of me wishes I could just ditch Roku forever and move onto a smart TV without such an awful unresolved issue but a) TVs are expensive and b) there’s no guarantee that another TV won’t have the same sort of issue.

I still don’t understand how an AVR doesn’t fix the issue, though. That’s ultimately where I’m confused beyond belief.
TCL 55S401 Roku TV (Unsolved audio/video lag issues!)

DubTaylor

Re: 55S401 major audio delay issues...even when using an AVR! What is going on?!

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:27 pm

Yup...

There's a whole building full of developers over at Plex listening to a whole bunch of shouting users unhappy with the words and the lips not living in the same zip code, but those developers keep pointing back at Roku. Right now it seems to be a pointing match with no clear winners... Users, however, remain the big losers in all of this.

Heyitsrick

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:41 pm

The specs for this tv says it passes through Dolby Digital Plus, and actually processes Dolby Digital (probably for transcoding DD+ via Optical).  

TCL Specs

You could test that processing theory by setting the Roku TV for Dolby Digital (not Plus) and see if you get transcoded Netflix in standard DD. Normally, Netflix is only DD+ or Stereo.  

malrats
Topic Author

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:50 pm

Heyitsrick wrote:
The specs for this tv says it passes through Dolby Digital Plus, and actually processes Dolby Digital (probably for transcoding DD+ via Optical).  

TCL Specs

You could test that processing theory by setting the Roku TV for Dolby Digital (not Plus) and see if you get transcoded Netflix in standard DD. Normally, Netflix is only DD+ or Stereo.  

Wait, when I go on Netflix it says it uses Dolby Digital. But I only keep the TV set to Dolby Digital, anyway, not Dolby Digital Plus. And when I use Netflix, it says Dolby Digital on the AVR screen.

I’ve also tried setting the TV to auto when connected via HDMI-ARC and it still shows Dolby Digital. I don’t think my AVR supports Plus.

malrats
Topic Author

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:30 pm

I just disabled ARC on my TV and turned on my Xbox One X, which is only connected to my AVR via HDMI.

It now has no audio. That tells me that the TV is still somehow involved in delivering the audio. Something must be configured wrong.

Edit: It was just set to “HDMI THRU” on the AVR instead of “HDMI AMP”. That gave the Xbox audio, but it still has the delay.

https://imgur.com/gallery/tiOhq42

plutonashfan

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:43 am

Heyitsrick wrote:
What's the actual make/model of the Roku TV?  

And note: I know you don't want to hear this, but it's not really a "Roku" issue. It's the TV's manufacturer (e.g. TCL), since it's undoubtedly their processing that's affecting the audio - particularly as you said it happens on other external inputs.

False its their crappy OS. There's a thread that has 35,000 views and hundreds of replies and this bush-league company simply ignores. I will never get a roku product again and warning people not to buy this trash. I to have a smart TV with there crap software built into it  and tried to different recievers Pioneer and SONY. WTF is wrong with company. Why cant we have an option to delay sound or lip sych. My crappy Hisense had that. Avoid this company like the plague.

Heyitsrick

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:29 am

plutonashfan wrote:
Heyitsrick wrote:
What's the actual make/model of the Roku TV?  

And note: I know you don't want to hear this, but it's not really a "Roku" issue. It's the TV's manufacturer (e.g. TCL), since it's undoubtedly their processing that's affecting the audio - particularly as you said it happens on other external inputs.

False its their crappy OS. There's a thread that has 35,000 views and hundreds of replies and this bush-league company simply ignores. I will never get a roku product again and warning people not to buy this trash. I to have a smart TV with there crap software built into it  and tried to different recievers Pioneer and SONY. WTF is wrong with company. Why cant we have an option to delay sound or lip sych. My crappy Hisense had that. Avoid this company like the plague.

I corrected my assertion right after the post you quoted me on.

Heyitsrick

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:51 am

malrats wrote:
Heyitsrick wrote:

TCL Specs

Wait, when I go on Netflix it says it uses Dolby Digital. But I only keep the TV set to Dolby Digital, anyway, not Dolby Digital Plus. And when I use Netflix, it says Dolby Digital on the AVR screen.

I’ve also tried setting the TV to auto when connected via HDMI-ARC and it still shows Dolby Digital. I don’t think my AVR supports Plus.

Both of the AVRs you cited (Pioneer and Denon) absolutely support Dolby Digital Plus. They are advanced AVRs. They support up to DolbyTrueHD, a codec that's much more advanced than Dolby Digital Plus.  
The only reason you would want standard Dolby Digital is if your soundbar(s) don't support DD+.  But the important thing to note is that your Roku TV is absolutely transcoding (converting) Dolby Digital Plus from sources like Netflix to standard Dolby Digital. That seems like it would necessarily inject some kind of additional delay into the output, since it has to do some converting before outputting. 

That said, boxes like the Apple TV essentially convert all surround sound in the box and output it as multichannel PCM (unless you tell it otherwise). So, it's certainly possible to match audio/video when conversion is occurring, but I don't know if Apple is converting and then delaying video.
If your soundbar(s) support DD+ - and not all do - AND if you connect them via HDMI, I'd set the Roku TV for DD+.  Otherwise, you're getting unnecessary processing on the TV side. 

Note: you won't get DD+ over optical. Optical bandwidth is insufficient to carry the extra information in DD+ over standard DD, so if you're connecting via optical, you necessarily have to opt for the standard DD option.

Your Pioneer AVR supports "Auto" delay compensation, where both audio video delays are supposedly matched.  It sounds like you've tried the "S.DLY" option for sound delay, but that only adds delay. Instead, try the "A.DLY" if you can. This should be one of the settings very close to the HDMI-Thru/HDMI-AMP setting. This is the blurb about it from your manual:

A.DLY (Auto Delay)g
This feature automatically corrects the audio-to-video delay between components connected with an HDMI cable. The audio delay time is set depending on the operational status of the display connected with an HDMI cable. The video delay time is automatically adjusted according to the audio delay time.

It may do nothing whatsoever for you, of course, but worth a shot.

malrats
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:48 pm

Heyitsrick wrote:
malrats wrote:
Heyitsrick wrote:

TCL Specs

Both of the AVRs you cited (Pioneer and Denon) absolutely support Dolby Digital Plus. They are advanced AVRs. They support up to DolbyTrueHD, a codec that's much more advanced than Dolby Digital Plus.  
The only reason you would want standard Dolby Digital is if your soundbar(s) don't support DD+.  But the important thing to note is that your Roku TV is absolutely transcoding (converting) Dolby Digital Plus from sources like Netflix to standard Dolby Digital. That seems like it would necessarily inject some kind of additional delay into the output, since it has to do some converting before outputting. 

That said, boxes like the Apple TV essentially convert all surround sound in the box and output it as multichannel PCM (unless you tell it otherwise). So, it's certainly possible to match audio/video when conversion is occurring, but I don't know if Apple is converting and then delaying video.
If your soundbar(s) support DD+ - and not all do - AND if you connect them via HDMI, I'd set the Roku TV for DD+.  Otherwise, you're getting unnecessary processing on the TV side. 

Note: you won't get DD+ over optical. Optical bandwidth is insufficient to carry the extra information in DD+ over standard DD, so if you're connecting via optical, you necessarily have to opt for the standard DD option.

Your Pioneer AVR supports "Auto" delay compensation, where both audio video delays are supposedly matched.  It sounds like you've tried the "S.DLY" option for sound delay, but that only adds delay. Instead, try the "A.DLY" if you can. This should be one of the settings very close to the HDMI-Thru/HDMI-AMP setting. This is the blurb about it from your manual:

A.DLY (Auto Delay)g
This feature automatically corrects the audio-to-video delay between components connected with an HDMI cable. The audio delay time is set depending on the operational status of the display connected with an HDMI cable. The video delay time is automatically adjusted according to the audio delay time.

It may do nothing whatsoever for you, of course, but worth a shot.

I know that I had definitely turned on that setting at some point, and it may already be on now—I’m not sure at the moment—but I’ll give it a shot regardless. Thank you. I’m at my wit’s end so I’ll really try anything within reason.