Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

DBDukes

Re: YouTube stops playing

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:16 pm

tb1274 wrote:
Clarification, my bad, the box and packaging info is marked ROKU 2.. I verified the unit, and it says Ultra ..

That’s good and bad.

Good: the 4640 is a great device. Many actually prefer it to the 4660 Ultra.

Bad: both devices, yours and his, should behave the same. And they don’t.

So, are you both logged in to YouTube in the app? Does it make a difference which account yore logged in to? That is, if he logs in on your Roku YouTube app, does the problem go away?
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

tb1274

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:42 pm

Tanner has been working with me on PM. He has all the details and is forwarding to YouTube.

tb1274

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:45 pm

This isn't an isolated problem, there are a few people on this Forum who are experiencing this problem, and if you go on Google search, there are hundreds of people complaining about this. 

DBDukes

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:59 pm

tb1274 wrote:
This isn't an isolated problem, there are a few people on this Forum who are experiencing this problem, and if you go on Google search, there are hundreds of people complaining about this. 

I experienced the issue on a couple of live feeds, but not on all. I don’t recall the details, as I only encountered it while troubleshooting for another user. I don’t normally watch live feeds. Anyway, the assumption at the time was an isolated issue with only certain feeds. TWiT was the problem one, I think, and Dave Ramsey was without issue.

Glad to hear Tanner is working it with you. Good luck.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

glitterninja

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:39 am

I just got a Roku Ultra 4661R and am having the same problem with a live feed cutting out at 15 minutes. Folowed the uninstall and reinstall with no luck. Any updates on what the issue is? Thanks!

RokuTannerD

Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:27 pm

@glitterninja 

Thanks for letting us know. Have you reached out to report this feedback to YouTube directly? A few other questions here to help gather more information:

- Which exact live streams are you trying to watch when this happens? 
- Does it happen on any other live streams if you continue to test? 
- Have you tried performing these steps in order: 1. Remove the channel from the Roku home screen 2. Restart your device from Settings>System>System restart 3. Once the player loads up again, add the YouTube channel back once more ?
- Do you observe this type of playback issue in any other channel?

Please feel free to PM me with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your player from Settings>System>About, and the version/build of the YouTube channel you have installed (navigate to the YouTube channel tile on the Roku home screen & press the * key to see this) I'll help provide your feedback over to the channel provider. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

glitterninja

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:02 pm

Hi -- yes, I posted to the YT help forums, no response.

I've already listed the live feeds I've tried earlier in this thread but will try more if you want, just let me know.

This only happens on YouTube, not Netflix or Hulu or anything.

I did uninstall and reinstall per those directions that I found on another thread about this same problem, with no change.

rainbow

Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:31 pm

I have exactly the same problem. I have tried everything. Uninstall, Reboot, Reinstall. Even I did try the 'Factory Reset', and I'm still having the problem.
I also tried to cast the video from phone and laptop, still it's not helping.
You Tube live stream will stop playing after 15 minutes.

FYI, my roku is Premiere +.

Do you guys think that You Tube is limiting the live stream only for 15 minutes, since now they have their own service which is called You Tube TV:roll:

momof4rugratz

Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:52 pm

Same issue. YET I can stream on my Pc and Cell phone no issue. I cant cast from phone or PC to Roku youtube because it does this. So it tells me issue is Youtube on Roku. The weird part is I streaming 2 yrs ago with no issues. Now I have the Roku ultra and I cant.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E5odkrfvFA   This is what am streaming. I did try a few other live feeds I get same thing. Yes I tried the steps here and I reset roku back to factory. 

DBDukes

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:03 pm

momof4rugratz wrote:
Same issue. YET I can stream on my Pc and Cell phone no issue. I cant cast from phone or PC to Roku youtube because it does this. So it tells me issue is Youtube on Roku. The weird part is I streaming 2 yrs ago with no issues. Now I have the Roku ultra and I cant.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E5odkrfvFA   This is what am streaming. I did try a few other live feeds I get same thing. Yes I tried the steps here and I reset roku back to factory. 

You're doing everything right. It seems there is an issue with many (if not most) live streams from YouTube stopping after 15 minutes. It's only live streams, not standard videos. And it seems to occur on a wide range of devices. I suspect there's something on the YouTube server end causing this -- Roku, Apple, Amazon, computers, all get their streams from different servers, and live feeds would likely be different servers than standard video feeds -- but I don't know for certain.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

rainbow

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:19 pm

DBDukes wrote:
You're doing everything right. It seems there is an issue with many (if not most) live streams from YouTube stopping after 15 minutes. It's only live streams, not standard videos. And it seems to occur on a wide range of devices. I suspect there's something on the YouTube server end causing this -- Roku, Apple, Amazon, computers, all get their streams from different servers, and live feeds would likely be different servers than standard video feeds -- but I don't know for certain.

I have my older ROKU that I bought on 2012 I don't remember the model now :D is it ROKU or ROKU2 or ROKU HD, i have the serial number if that helps :) (18C26J000369). Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, this older ROKU can play continuously the Youtube live streaming and doesn't get cut off every 15 minutes. Just because this is older model, and it's so slow :D, so it's annoying in different way than being cut off every 15 minutes.

FierceCritter

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:09 am

I watch two YouTube live streams from TinyKittensHQ and both of them time out after 15 minutes using the Roku Ultra model 46600x2. 

I just plugged in my old Roku3 Model 4200X. Live stream has been running for a half hour without shutting off.

DBDukes

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:57 am

rainbow wrote:
I have my older ROKU that I bought on 2012 I don't remember the model now :D is it ROKU or ROKU2 or ROKU HD, i have the serial number if that helps :)

The model number is on the device itself. If you bought a current device in 2012, it could be a Roku HD, a Roku 2 HD, but not Roku 2, as that was introduced in late 2013.
rainbow wrote:
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, this older ROKU can play continuously the Youtube live streaming and doesn't get cut off every 15 minutes. Just because this is older model, and it's so slow :D, so it's annoying in different way than being cut off every 15 minutes.

FierceCritter wrote:
I watch two YouTube live streams from TinyKittensHQ and both of them time out after 15 minutes using the Roku Ultra model 46600x2.

I just plugged in my old Roku3 Model 4200X. Live stream has been running for a half hour without shutting off.

Different models will play different versions of the same app. That's common. Netflix is the same way. Whether or not YouTube is still that way, I can't say (not in a position to fire up an older device), but you can check the app version to see if that might be the difference.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

FierceCritter

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:11 am

DBDukes wrote:
Different models will play different versions of the same app. That's common. Netflix is the same way. Whether or not YouTube is still that way, I can't say (not in a position to fire up an older device), but you can check the app version to see if that might be the difference.

The Ultra is using version 1.0 build 80000284
The 3 is using version 1.0 build 70500272

Can the app version be changed? And if so, how?

DBDukes

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:36 pm

FierceCritter wrote:
DBDukes wrote:

The Ultra is using version 1.0 build 80000284
The 3 is using version 1.0 build 70500272

Can the app version be changed? And if so, how?

Nope. The app developer decides which version goes on what devices.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)