Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Jondgrant
Topic Author

Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:45 pm

Just bought a new Roku Streaming Stick Plus. Out of the box it connected to my iPhone XR’s hotspot without issue. After the Roku updated it’s software and rebooted, it will no longer connect to the mobile hotspot. It connects to other Wifi networks without issue.

In my limited knowledge and research, it appears that perhaps the DFS channels that the iPhone broadcasts on do not play nice with the Roku. This is odd since pre-software update things worked fine.

Thoughts?

RokuTannerD

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:20 am

Thanks for the note. 

While we don't typically recommend using mobile hotspot connections for streaming, I'd like to gather a few more details here to see what may be causing the issue. Please PM me with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About, and the version of iOS that your device currently has installed. Feel free to include any other details or steps you've attempted to try an resolve the issue. I'll follow up directly from there to see how else we can help.  

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

jeffzbell

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:37 pm

Having the same issue. My dad and I have used our iPhone X’s as a hotspot for months. As of last week, can’t connect to the hotspot. Roku recognizes the wireless network ID but fails to connect.

RokuTannerD

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:06 am

@jeffzbell

Thanks for reaching out. Please PM me with the info I mentioned above and I'll follow up directly to see what else we can do to help.

Cheers, 
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

DBDukes

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:23 am

Just to rule something out, ensure the hotspot passwords contain only letters & numbers. Roku and some special characters don’t play well together.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

jeffzbell

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:09 pm

@dbdukes

Thanks for the idea. I don’t have any special characters in my hotspot password.

atc82

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:50 am

I have the same issue. Roku will not connect to iPhone XSMax hotspot (both mine and my wife’s), but connects to other WiFi networks with no problems.

KimberDon

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:04 pm

I am having the same problem with my iPhone SX Max. Is there a solution? It used to work and now does not. Everything else I have works with my iPhone X hotspot and the Roku recognizes it but cannot connect. The roku connects to other hotspots such as my partners Samsung. Help please.

Yossip112

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone X hotspot

Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:25 pm

I have the same issue with my iPhone X. I used to use my iPhone hotspot for months without a problem and now it just doesn’t want to connect. I have no idea what or why Roku did this. I would love if they had a way to resolve this unbearable issue.

Christiancarey91

Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:15 pm

Same problem here, looking for any answers
I have a iPhone XS Max, I used to use my Samsung S8 hotspot for my Roku all the time, haven’t been able to since I upgraded to the iPhone. It did connect and play one time, I of course walked out of range with my phone in my pocket and I haven’t been able to connect it since. Roku player recognizes my iPhone, tries to connect to it and fails.

Hannahblaze831

Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:11 pm

I am having same issues connecting my Roku to my iPhone 8 personal hotspot. My boyfriends android connects just fine. It was working a few months ago, but now it sees my connection but it will not connect. Need answers please...We live in the country and the hotspot is our best friend. Thanks

RokuTannerD

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:47 am

Thanks for continuing to share the experiences here. We've passed your reports along to our team who are looking into the issue. In the meantime, we recommend trying to restart both your Roku device, mobile phone, and/or your wireless router and continue to try to connect. This may not resolve the issue in all cases, but we have heard some customers report success after continuing to try and connect. 

Thanks again!
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

Kat388

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:40 pm

Having issues as well with connecting my tv to my iPhone XS hot spot it connected for a few days and now it recognizes the WiFi and connects but won’t let me stream Netflix or any other

Speach23

Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:12 pm

I am having this same issue. Has anyone figured out how to get it to work?

GusReyes32

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:50 pm

I am having the same issue with my iPhone XS Max. I have tried restarting both my iPhone and Roku and still doesn’t work.