Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Rcrider

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:54 pm

I have an IPhone XS and am having this issue as well. Any updates on fixes?

492vs

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:11 am

Having same problem with iphone x . Won't recognize hotspot. My android works, no problems. I think Apple is blocking me from using my iphone until I get an Appletv. Like thats going to happen.

Xxxmike86

Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:08 pm

IVE FOUND THE FIX FOR THIS!!!!

I changed the name of my iPhone in settings/general/about
Then changed the password to something without symbols and it connected straight away.

Thanks.

nopropslaw

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:04 pm

The above technique did not resolve any issue. My iPhone hotspot still will not get picked up by my roku. Will their be an update to fix this?

johnadowney

Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:11 pm

I have also tried the above issue and still no luck.

I have 3 Roku devices and 2 iPhones. They are all experiencing the same connectivity issue.
I see the iPhone trying to connect then I get X and error code 14.40.

It has been working fine for months.

Tbwright91

Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:03 pm

I would also like resolution to this as well. Roku is the only thing that won’t connect to my hotspot so it is definitely a Roku issue. I am tempted to go to another streaming device and stop using Roku as there doesn’t seem to be much technical support or urgency to fix.

RokuTannerD

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:37 am

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for continuing to share what you're observing. Our team has continued investigating the issue, and is hoping to have further resolution soon. We appreciate your patience in the meantime. 

Please feel free to send me a PM with your details, and I'll continue to provide further updates as we know more. Stay tuned! 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

Bfull1478

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:10 pm

I am having the same problem with my iphone XS running IOS 12.2.  I put the password in and it fails to connect.  Works with my Samsung 7-8 just fine.

DBDukes

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:43 pm

Bfull1478 wrote:
I am having the same problem with my iphone XS running IOS 12.2.  I put the password in and it fails to connect.  Works with my Samsung 7-8 just fine.

Try renaming your phone. Likely, you have special characters (apostrophe, spaces, etc) in the name, as that is Apple's default. Try renaming it to iPhoneXS only and see if it will connect. Settings > General > About > Name

I'm able to connect to mine with a simple hotspot name, which is derived from the name of the phone. With the default name, I can't connect. This is a Roku issue, and Roku should resolve it, but this is a workaround until then.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

888nate

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:51 am

Help! I have four Roku TVs that will no longer connect to my iPhone hotspot! This is the only Wi-Fi I use and now they’re basically useless!

DBDukes

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:54 pm

888nate wrote:
Help! I have four Roku TVs that will no longer connect to my iPhone hotspot! This is the only Wi-Fi I use and now they’re basically useless!

Did you already try the previous suggestions of renaming your phone to something short and simple (like iPhone) and using a simple (letters and numbers only) password?
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

jbigaouette

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:40 am

Has anyone gotten this to work?  I agree the ROKU is useless without being able to connect to a hotspot.  What a pile of junk now.

atc98092

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:54 am

jbigaouette wrote:
Has anyone gotten this to work?  I agree the ROKU is useless without being able to connect to a hotspot.  What a pile of junk now.

They can connect to "a" hotspot. But there does seem to be an issue specifically with an iPhone X. I have a iPhone 6S as well as a Samsung S8 that I have used as a hotspot in the past, and never had an issue. It's just that one version of iPhone. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

DBDukes

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:07 pm

atc98092 wrote:
jbigaouette wrote:

They can connect to "a" hotspot. But there does seem to be an issue specifically with an iPhone X. I have a iPhone 6S as well as a Samsung S8 that I have used as a hotspot in the past, and never had an issue. It's just that one version of iPhone. 

I’m able to use my iPhone X hotspot if I name my phone something short and simple, such as iPhone and have a simple (letters, numbers) password. If the name contains spaces or punctuation, it won’t connect. For instance, My iPhone X will not work.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

jbigaouette

Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:16 pm

atc98092 wrote:
jbigaouette wrote:

It doesn't work with my IPhone 8s Plus.  So it's something with Roku & those iphone versions.  Frustrating that this has been going on for so long & they have done nothing about it.