Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

atc98092

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:51 pm

jbigaouette wrote:
atc98092 wrote:
jbigaouette wrote:
Has anyone gotten this to work?  I agree the ROKU is useless without being able to connect to a hotspot.  What a pile of junk now.

They can connect to "a" hotspot. But there does seem to be an issue specifically with an iPhone X. I have a iPhone 6S as well as a Samsung S8 that I have used as a hotspot in the past, and never had an issue. It's just that one version of iPhone. 

It doesn't work with my IPhone 8s Plus.  So it's something with Roku & those iphone versions.  Frustrating that this has been going on for so long & they have done nothing about it.

Did you see Duke's comment about your phone name? If there's a space in your phone name, that might be the cause.When I was using it with my Roku, the phone name was just iPhone. I've never tried it since I renamed my phone, that now has a space in the name. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Bfull1478

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:43 am

DBDukes wrote:
Bfull1478 wrote:
I am having the same problem with my iphone XS running IOS 12.2.  I put the password in and it fails to connect.  Works with my Samsung 7-8 just fine.

Try renaming your phone. Likely, you have special characters (apostrophe, spaces, etc) in the name, as that is Apple's default. Try renaming it to iPhoneXS only and see if it will connect. Settings > General > About > Name

I'm able to connect to mine with a simple hotspot name, which is derived from the name of the phone. With the default name, I can't connect. This is a Roku issue, and Roku should resolve it, but this is a workaround until then.

Thanks DBDukes, I will give that a shot tonight!!  My iphone name definitely has spaces.

Jep5555

Wed May 01, 2019 5:47 pm

Both wife and I have iphone 6S.  Neither will connect to Roku.  Changed name of phones to eliminate spaces and special characters and they will connect, but only one time.  The very next time I need to connect, I have to go through the trouble of renaming the phone something else! I have to believe that this is a Roku issue - please advise when to expect an update fixing this problem!

Christiancarey91

Fri May 03, 2019 7:47 pm

I have what I believe to be the same issue, I use a Roku plug in device and a smart tv with Roku. Both have issues with my iPhone XS Max, and my gf note 9. Only way I found around it is a reboot of the tv or Roku device. Also specifically with my iPhone it requires me to have the hotspot screen on my phone when I try to connect. Hope this helps anyone, I actually came here looking for a work around my issue, seems others are having a bigger issue than me. I have unlimited data also, streaming is perfect for me, no lag. Verizon for anyone interested.

Bfull1478

Sun May 05, 2019 9:27 pm

Bfull1478 wrote:
DBDukes wrote:
Bfull1478 wrote:
I am having the same problem with my iphone XS running IOS 12.2.  I put the password in and it fails to connect.  Works with my Samsung 7-8 just fine.

Try renaming your phone. Likely, you have special characters (apostrophe, spaces, etc) in the name, as that is Apple's default. Try renaming it to iPhoneXS only and see if it will connect. Settings > General > About > Name

I'm able to connect to mine with a simple hotspot name, which is derived from the name of the phone. With the default name, I can't connect. This is a Roku issue, and Roku should resolve it, but this is a workaround until then.

Thanks DBDukes, I will give that a shot tonight!!  My iphone name definitely has spaces.

I tried to change the phone name so there were no spaces or special characters but I still could not connect. I hope they come out with a fix soon. This is a real bummer I wanted to use this when I go camping.

DBDukes

Mon May 06, 2019 5:58 pm

Bfull1478 wrote:
I tried to change the phone name so there were no spaces or special characters but I still could not connect.  I hope they come out with a fix soon.  This is a real bummer I wanted to use this when I go camping.

You listed two of the three things: 1) no spaces, 2) no special characters, but didn't mention the third: 3) simple name.

Is it a short name? Like iPhone?
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

x problems

Wed May 08, 2019 10:32 am

I am having similar problems connecting my Roku TV to my iPhone X hotspot. After trying everything in this forum I spent over 2 hours on the phone with Roku support. We tried every troubleshooting method in the book (even going as far as changing settings in the hidden menu). Nothing works. Roku blamed it on my hotspot provider Verizon, but Verizon confirmed nothing in my plan has changed. I can very seldom get it to connect after a factory reset, but it is very tedious and can take hours. Renaming my hotspot and password to something simple does not work. Resetting the tv and phone does not work. Roku will not own up to their faulty software.

Oh and the error code I get is 14.40 which support has told me is an incorrect password entry. Further proving their software is faulty (I know for a fact I am entering the right password). The only solution I can think of is to buy an Amazon FireStick and use this piece of junk they call a Roku TV as a display monitor.

DBDukes

Wed May 08, 2019 4:10 pm

x problems wrote:
I am having similar problems connecting my Roku TV to my iPhone X hotspot. After trying everything in this forum I spent over 2 hours on the phone with Roku support. We tried every troubleshooting method in the book (even going as far as changing settings in the hidden menu). Nothing works. Roku blamed it on my hotspot provider Verizon, but Verizon confirmed nothing in my plan has changed. I can very seldom get it to connect after a factory reset, but it is very tedious and can take hours. Renaming my hotspot and password to something simple does not work. Resetting the tv and phone does not work. Roku will not own up to their faulty software.

Oh and the error code I get is 14.40 which support has told me is an incorrect password entry. Further proving their software is faulty (I know for a fact I am entering the right password). The only solution I can think of is to buy an Amazon FireStick and use this piece of junk they call a Roku TV as a display monitor.

Did you set the iPhone name to something short and simple like "iPhone" and ensure the password was only letters and numbers?
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

Kmbrlyanne

Fri May 10, 2019 1:01 pm

I have an iPhone 7 Plus and I cannot get my hotspot to work either. I have tried all these little tricks and nothing works. We bought another roku because we thought the first one was just bad, but turns out they just won’t connect. However, I do have an older model Roku 3, and it picks up our hotspot perfectly. But the 2 newer ones that I have refuse to pick it up.

Kylee212

Mon May 13, 2019 3:25 pm

This issue has been going on for months now, I’m tired of restarting my system, my phone, doing a factory reset, resetting network, etc. And NOTHING works. I too have a IPhone max, and whenever I try connecting to the hotspot it fails. When is this issue going to be resolved. I’ve now started telling people not to even buy ruku products because they don’t ever get to fixing the issue in a timely manner. My grandparents don’t use the internet, so my hotspot is the only thing close to a router at their house. They can’t even enjoy movies or shows anymore, and it’s just sad. Sad that ruku has such HORRIBLE tech support.

Tpeters0418

Thu May 16, 2019 5:00 am

Any solution for this issue yet? I never had a problem until my Roku updated. Now it will see my iPhone hotspot but will not connect. I gave my Roku to a friend and they got it to connect on another WiFi (not hotspot) and it connected fine so I know the stick is working. If I factory reset my Roku I can sometimes get it to connect once but as soon as the software updates and the roku disconnects from my iPhone it will not reconnect. Frustrating roku! If you know your update has an issue roll it back so we can use your product again. Right now it’s a piece of junk sitting in the drawer. I am using an iPhone 8.

RokuTannerD

Thu May 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Thanks for continuing to keep us posted. This is something we're still investigating and don't have any further updates as of yet. 

If you're still unable to resolve the issue by using the troubleshooting steps listed in this thread, please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About and I'll see what other suggestions I can help with. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

123Alondra

Sat May 18, 2019 5:22 am

FOUND IT!!!!
Go to your iphone settings>General>About>Name if it has an emoji remove it I repeat REMOVE EMOJI FROM NAME IT WILL CONNECT INSTANTLY!!! Also remove symbols from wifi pasword.

Lizarino

Tue May 21, 2019 3:59 pm

I have the same problem with my brand new Roku and my IPhone XS.

This doesn’t happen with my Roku TCL tv only the Roku Premier device that I just purchased.

When is this going to be fixed? I can’t believe this thread has been going on for so long with no fix. That is very disappointing.

To be clear none of the suggested “tips” work.

I’ve restarted the device multiple times. I’ve shortened the iPhone name and the hotspot password. There is some problem that needs to be fixed with Roku.

I’ve restarted the iPhone multiple times. My hotspot works for all other devices. Just not the Roku out of the box.

theuser86

Tue May 21, 2019 8:18 pm

You guys actually stream on the Roku via your cell phone? How do you not do over your data limit? And is it fast enough for 1080p Streaming? Guess LTE should be.