Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mbtb97

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:12 pm

For what is worth I ran the newest ROKU update and and reset the ROKU from the settings screen then like stated before created a private network with phone name as SSID then put password in and it worked.  It also appeasr to hold it.

nhim4gvn

Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:26 pm

I am having the exact issue. I have other Roku units and they work fine. However only the newer Roku allows me to access all my programs. I don’t always have good WiFi access and need to use iPhone hotspots. What is the fix to this?
Model 3921X SN:JG289C666918

nhim4gvn

Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:34 pm

Tried these steps and still a no go.

Petrolveins

Had to update device software.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:58 pm

7/8/19 Had the same issue trying to set up my dad’s first streaming device. Neither of our hotspots would work and we’d get error 14.12. Changing phone names and passwords did not work. I gave up, brought it home and connected it to my home WiFi. After updating and setting up over home network, I am able to connect and utilize the iPhone’s hotspot.

Kristin C

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:49 am

It's not just iPhone. I have a Samsung Galaxy j7 crown and after months of problem free use my Roku will no longer work. It recognizes my phone and hotspot and says it's connected but all of the streaming apps give a connection error code. Come on Roku! Fix this already! This is ridiculous!

RokuTannerD

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:31 am

@Kristin C 

Thanks for sharing your experience. We're still investigating the issue reported on iOS devices, however, we are not aware of any issue that would impact your type of mobile device. I just tested this functionality on my Android phone, and do not experience any issues connecting to, or using, my mobile hotspot. 

- Have you contacted your wireless provider yet to inquire further as to whether there are any issues with your data plan or usage that may have impacted functionality? 
- When you go to Settings>Network>Set up connection, do you get a green check mark next to both wireless connection and internet connection? 
- Has your phone received any software updates recently that may have impacted the functionality? 
- Have you tested using an alternate Android device to see if the issue persists? 

Please feel free to PM me with more information, including your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku device. I'll follow up directly to see how else we can assist. 

Thanks!
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

LeslyZacarias

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XS Max hotspot

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:40 am

I am also having the same problem and would like for Roku to really listen and do something about this. I recently bought my TV just a few weeks ago and sometimes in the beginning it would connect fine and now I just keep having trouble connecting to it and it is very annoying. Also when I turn off my TV and am ready to stop using my hotspot, it doesn’t automatically stop using my hotspot, it continues to pull my data even when the TV is off which is very annoying so I have to turn it off myself from my phone but then when I try to connect again, it won’t connect! So frustrating, I don’t want to get WiFi bc my hotspot works fine with my laptop and I get 50 GBs with my provider. I regret buying this smart tv, it’s useless without being able to connect it to my phone. I tried restarting the TV tons of times and restarting my phone. Also I think it’s very dumb that in order to screen cast or mirror my phone to my TV they have to be on the same WiFi, how am i supposed to share my hotspot to my TV but have my phone be on the same hotspot connection, I’m just so frustrated and completely unsatisfied with the connectivity but the TV works great in the very few times it allows to connect. One more thing, the USB behind the TV doesn’t even allow a USB to go in so what’s up with that. My TV is updated because it asked me to when I first bought it and my phone is recently updated too to the newest version is IOS 12.3.1

Shaggyc

Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:11 pm

Yup... Connects to an Android phone but not an iPhone se. Guess I'm returning this thing as it seems no fix in sight.

cowpattycreek333

Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:10 pm

registered for this forum for this exact reason... roku will connect to android hotspot but not an iphone.

after reading, looks like nobody has answer.

i did tell me wife when she wanted that stupid iphone, she was on her own, dont ask me to fix it   :D

Em_P

Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:45 am

My brand new iPhone xs max, will not work as a Hotspot for my tcl/roku tv either. Ive tried resetting network settings, on both devices, simplifying names, adding private network, etc. Incredibly frustrating considering my mobile phone bill is $140/no, particularly for use of the Hotspot data, as I am traveling currently in an RV...
Emily

cniggeler

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:18 am

I also have this problem, but with an Android (Note 3). So it seems it's not limited to iPhone. I tried adding my Roku's MAC address to the Allowed Devices menu on the phone's Hotspot app, but did not help.

atc98092

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:26 am

I have a 3 day old iPhone XR, running iOS 12.4. The phone's name has an apostrophe in it, and the password is all lower case letters. I connected my Sharp Roku TV (OS 9.1.0) to its hotspot without an issue. I don't know if it's the latest iOS update that resolved things, or a Roku update. But I had no issues connecting. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Sd04

Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:20 am

I can’t get my roku tv to connect to my personal hotspot. I have gotten it to work before and it worked for about 2 months and then it wouldn’t connect anymore

Maconomy

Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:27 pm

Tanner, are you still employed? Why isn’t this fixed yet? Got my brand new Roku yesterday and connected flawlessly to my hotspot on IPhone 7+

Went out for the day and came back home and tried to connect back to iPhone Hotspot... starts to connect and then disconnects every time. Wang is the deal with the 1 and done?

-Jeff

Maconomy

Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:44 pm

Hi Tanner

Here’s the fix that I’ve tried a few times and it works... but of course you’ve got a problem that needs a fixing. Go into settings / system / advanced / network connection reset. Roku restarts and forgets your hotspot and I’m guessing thus is clearing some settings that were previously stored that causes it not to connect. Not a solution but it’ll get you by. This should be a simple fix for ROKU to make.