Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

whoopdeedoo
Topic Author

[Resolved] - Remote Control Needed?

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:28 am

Hello.  I just purchased the Roku Express and want to hook it up to my elderly father's Samsung Television so he can see larger versions of photos and other items from my smart phone and tablet.  The trouble is he lost his remote control for the tv.  Is there still a way to set up the Roku without this remote?

DBDukes

Re: Remote Control Needed?

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:46 am

whoopdeedoo wrote:
Hello.  I just purchased the Roku Express and want to hook it up to my elderly father's Samsung Television so he can see larger versions of photos and other items from my smart phone and tablet.  The trouble is he lost his remote control for the tv.  Is there still a way to set up the Roku without this remote?

Yes. Roku Express comes with its own remote. Now, you will want to change the input of the TV to that of the Roku, and you'll either need the remote, a universal remote that is compatible with that TV, or the buttons on the TV itself (yes, they are there somewhere). If you can't change the input to that of the Roku, then you can't see what's on the Roku. Walmart, Family Dollar, Best Buy, and many many other places have universal remotes that will control TVs. It might come in handy for switching inputs.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

whoopdeedoo
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:02 pm

Thank you very much DBDukes. Hopefully I'll be able to snag a universal remote somewhere. Though I found those little hard to see buttons on the bottom corner of the TV's screen (Menu, volume and channels + and -) I couldn't find anything pertaining to HDMI and didn't know what to do with any of the words on the menu list.

DBDukes

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:08 pm

whoopdeedoo wrote:
Thank you very much DBDukes.  Hopefully I'll be able to snag a universal remote somewhere.  Though I found those little hard to see buttons on the bottom corner of the TV's screen (Menu, volume and channels + and -) I couldn't find anything pertaining to HDMI and didn't know what to do with any of the words on the menu list.

It would likely say "source" or "input" or something along that line. It might be under Menu, but do be careful, as you don't want to change settings.

If you have the manual to your TV, it might include that information. If not, manuals are often (but not always) available online. Not all Samsung TVs would necessarily work the same way, so you'd need to locate the manual for that model or series of Samsung TV. You didn't say what model number (usually located on a label on the back) so we can't offer any direction in that at this time.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:43 pm

Sometimes using the channel up/down buttons will change inputs once you get to the highest/lowest channel. I have a Samsung TV here somewhere (just moved), so I'll try to dig it out and check. However, I doubt your father would want to use the buttons on the TV to change inputs. What's he using now? If it's a cable box remote setup to control the TV, there's often a source button hidden somewhere on those.

-JT

whoopdeedoo
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:53 pm

DBDukes and JT - thank you again. If it helps I took a photo of the back of my father's tv and the model # is LN40C540F2FXZC

DBDukes

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:13 pm

whoopdeedoo wrote:
DBDukes and JT - thank you again.  If it helps I took a photo of the back of my father's tv and the model # is LN40C540F2FXZC

A query into a search engine turned up this: [url=http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201009/20100906143053531/[LC530-ZA]BN68-02540A-04Eng-0831.pdf]http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201009/20100906143053531/[LC530-ZA]BN68-02540A-04Eng-0831.pdf[/url]

The manual (pg 5) indicates the buttons are on the lower right front of the TV. From left: Power, Channel Up, Channel Down, Volume Up, Volume Down, Menu, Source. As stated, you want Source. Are those buttons not there?
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

whoopdeedoo
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:03 pm

They are there but my eyesight is waning and the word Source was half smudged out or something. And a brighter flashlight should help as well. Tell you what.... give me a day or two and I will report back with my findings, following my next visit to Dad's. Thanks for going above and beyond DBDukes. Not many would. And JT, thank you as well. By the way, my father had been using a Bell TV (cable) remote here in Canada for all his channel viewing options.

whoopdeedoo
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:35 pm

Well, I managed to press on the word "source" and kept pressing it until I found the "let's get started" Roku page showing up on HDMI 4. It listed four different language options with English highlighted. But I couldn't find anything to press after that to select this English option (basically to say yes, I Want English) and move on to the next step. So I threw a tantrum and stopped. Thoughts? Advice? Like you mentioned earlier, all I could see for buttons from left to right were source, menu, plus and minus volume, plus and minus channels, and power.

DBDukes

Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:14 pm

whoopdeedoo wrote:
Well, I managed to press on the word "source" and kept pressing it until I found the "let's get started" Roku page showing up on HDMI 4.  It listed four different language options with English highlighted.  But I couldn't find anything to press after that to select this English option (basically to say yes, I Want English) and move on to the next step.  So I threw a tantrum and stopped.  Thoughts?  Advice?  Like you mentioned earlier, all I could see for buttons from left to right were source, menu, plus and minus volume, plus and minus channels, and power.

The OK button on the remote means ... OK. You didn't press it did you? Pressing OK would be a good idea once you have the language selected.

Or... you see where it says "Let's Get Started >"? That right arrow after the word "started"? The right arrow on the remote with the correct language highlighted would do just fine, too.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

whoopdeedoo
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:35 pm

You mean the okay button on the Roku remote? Or the right arrow on the Roku remote? Because I was under the impression I had to complete another step or two even before putting the batteries in the Roku remote. Thought it meant having to do more on the Samsung screen before doing anything with the enclosed remote. Sorry.

DBDukes

Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:51 pm

whoopdeedoo wrote:
You mean the okay button on the Roku remote?

Yes
whoopdeedoo wrote:
Or the right arrow on the Roku remote?

Yes
whoopdeedoo wrote:
Because I was under the impression I had to complete another step or two even before putting the batteries in the Roku remote.

Nope
whoopdeedoo wrote:
Thought it meant having to do more on the Samsung screen before doing anything with the enclosed remote.  Sorry.

Nope. That's the Roku screen. Use the remote. It's really easy to set up.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

whoopdeedoo
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:03 pm

Thank you DBDukes.