Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Crow550
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Roku Auto Volume Leveling vs TV & Audio Receivers option.

Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:51 pm

Anyone test enabling Roku's Auto Volume Leveling (disable on TV or Audio Receiver first) then disabling it and testing there TVs or Audio Receivers auto volume function?

See if you can notice a difference and which you'd consider better? Just curious. 

Heyitsrick

Re: Roku Auto Volume Leveling vs TV & Audio Receivers option.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:50 am

I'd go with the AVRs leveling functionality, myself. Auto-leveling on the Roku switches to 2-channel stereo, right?

ronfelder

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:38 pm

Heyitsrick wrote:
I'd go with the AVRs leveling functionality, myself. Auto-leveling on the Roku switches to 2-channel stereo, right?

Why use auto leveling at all? It doesn't make sense to use it if you've gone to the expense and trouble of buying a nice AVR system. Using the function will kill whatever dynamic range you have. Dynamic range is the difference between the softest sounds and the loudest. You want that to make ti lifelike and a true surround system. Making something loud as low as something soft just makes no sense. Using it on a tv only system is one thing but not in a AVR system if you want true surround and movie quality sound like I do.
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x ,Roku 2720X .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 50/50, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver

Crow550
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:44 am

I think people want the main function being for levelling the volume on ads on free & some paid content.

I think Dynamic Range Compression only works on Dolby content right?

Heyitsrick

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:13 am

ronfelder wrote:
Heyitsrick wrote:

Why use auto leveling at all? It doesn't make sense to use it if you've gone to the expense and trouble of buying a nice AVR system. Using the function will kill whatever dynamic range you have. Dynamic range is the difference between the softest sounds and the loudest. You want that to make ti lifelike and a true surround system. Making something loud as low as something soft just makes no sense. Using it on a tv only system is one thing but not in a AVR system if you want true surround and movie quality sound like I do.

Well, speaking for myself - and no doubt countless others are in the same position - I live in an apartment building. I'm not in a position to have the loudest louds in relation to the softest sounds. Otherwise, I'd be dealing with my neighbors and my co-op board.

From everything I've read, non-theatrical release films have already been remastered for DVD/Blu-Ray. In other words, there's already been adjustments made in the audio realm for home releases. Most people's homes aren't in any way similar to movie theaters, so there's already tons of trade offs due to the physical makeup of the environment (not to mention each and every link in the audio chain).  

If I relied upon the AVR's speaker calibration in my environment, for example, the FL and FR would always overpower the center channel dialogue in action movies, for example.  Hence, I have to adjust accordingly. And in doing that, I'm diverting from the "lifelike" - or original intent - of the sound mastering engineer(s).  

And lastly, compression is used to the extreme in popular music and TV programming nowadays. There's very little dynamic range in the finished product - regardless of where or how you listen.  

So, to each his/her own, but I'm not going to be an audio-snob in that regard. I do what works in my environment that makes both me - and my neighbors - happy. 

ronfelder

Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:06 pm

Crow550 wrote:
I think people want the main function being for levelling the volume on ads on free & some paid content.

I think Dynamic Range Compression only works on Dolby content right?

No any audio source can have good  dynamic range? It's more  noticeable on dolby digital or dolby digital + for it has more dynamic range and no compression. Some of the other formats might have more compression but who wants compression? That removes the dynamic range. Part of the high fidelity expeircene bssides wide frequency response, low noise and distortion Is large dynamic range.
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x ,Roku 2720X .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 50/50, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver