Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TBU

Re: Those Pesky Lower Four Remote Buttons

Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:27 pm

twiceover wrote:
I mean, if you're going to go through all that work, you could just pop it open, cut the traces, put it back together and at least it wouldn't look like a wonky POS.

Sorry, maybe I didn't make it clear that the remote looks exactly the same, just the four buttons at the bottom sit about 2-3mm lower.  And as far as work, this took maybe 10-15 minutes.  Also, you don't have to disable them altogether.  Their sensitivity can just be reduced.
It is perplexing to me, the number of people that come to the defense of these buttons.  To me they were an insidious abomination.  I was instantly relieved to be rid of them.

twiceover

Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:37 pm

TBU wrote:
twiceover wrote:
I mean, if you're going to go through all that work, you could just pop it open, cut the traces, put it back together and at least it wouldn't look like a wonky POS.

Sorry, maybe I didn't make it clear that the remote looks exactly the same, just the four buttons at the bottom sit about 2-3mm lower.  And as far as work, this took maybe 10-15 minutes.  Also, you don't have to disable them altogether.  Their sensitivity can just be reduced.
It is perplexing to me, the number of people that come to the defense of these buttons.  To me they were an insidious abomination.  I was instantly relieved to be rid of them.

It is perplexing to me the number of people that are bothered by this.  We've had multiple Rokus in our house for nearly a decade now, I can count on one hand how many times I've accidentally hit those buttons.  To each their own.  Enjoy.

atc98092

Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:45 pm

TBU wrote:

While I'm not defending the buttons, they do serve a purpose. Besides offering one button access to the designated channels (which some people appreciate), they also serve as an additional revenue stream for Roku, which allows them to keep the price of the player a little bit lower. If the buttons could be reprogrammed, they either couldn't charge for placement, or would have to accept a much lower price, both of which would increase the cost of the Roku. How much? I have no idea. Would it be worth paying a little more for either no buttons or the ability to program them? I would say it depends on how much more. Personally, I never use any of the buttons on my remotes, as I don't subscribe to any of them. My Vizio TV setting next to me has 6 pre-programmed buttons, and I only subscribe to one. I can't program them either. So it's not just Roku that does it. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

DubTaylor

Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:17 pm

atc98092 wrote:
TBU wrote:

...Besides offering one button access to the designated channels (which some people appreciate), they also serve as an additional revenue stream for Roku, which allows them to keep the price of the player a little bit lower.

I've heard that bedtime story before... didn't believe it then and don't now.

No, Virginia, those buttons don't reduce the cost of our Rokus by even a fraction of a cent, but they do acquire additional revenue for Roku - and when we surgically remove them, that doesn't change, but the mere thought of an advertiser reading one of these threads (that won't make any difference) makes my life worth living (because I'm easily entertained).

Yes, before removal accidentally hitting one of those buttons, in the dark, stopping everything, was a regular occurrence. From their new home in the landfill, I haven't hit one of them even once, so that is a User Modification with a positive result. As long as they keep selling them, I'll keep ripping them out.

If, at some point, a Roku Guy shows up with every new Roku Purchase to screw the Un-modifiable remote down on the end table - like at the Motel 6 - I'll stop buying them. I doubt it will come to that.

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:59 pm

So once every few months I accidentally hit one of those "dang" buttons.. It doesn't infuriate me like it infuriates some (to the point of hacking up their remotes, depreciating the value of them if they ever decide to sell them). Yeah, it's annoying, but you learn to be more careful each time you do it.

Don't keep the remote one or near your lap when you're watching TV, for one thing. Set it on the darn coffee table for crying out loud.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

TBU

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:40 am

Well, I know I only joined to post here with an actual contribution, i.e. , an alternative for the obviously significant group out there for whom this remote design is lacking.  I would never have been compelled to do that only to tell you where you can put your remote.

DubTaylor

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:49 am

jeffrok wrote:
So once every few months I accidentally hit one of those "dang" buttons..

Good for you. I was hitting one of them every other day, but I found a perfect and very soothing alternative in what, for a few minutes of my time, results in a lifetime (the lifetime of the remote) of uninterrupted viewing brought on by Roku's selling of hand-held-advertising that gets in the way of what some would call normal operation.

If the city where you live required a decorative (and quite attractive) Steel I-Beam to be installed at 96% of your height in every doorway of your home it wouldn't be too long before you called a contractor to lower all your floors.

Deal with it. We are.

BarryMaync

Those Pesky Lower Four Remote Buttons

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:24 pm

you instead use use the servo finger to press a hard button/spacer that presses the soft button of the remote to make it behave more like a nicer mechanical switch.
https://www.nacdd1305.org/