Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mrmikeob
Topic Author

PS Vue is only channel not playing - error code

Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:52 pm

Have purple streaming stick, which means no phone support - lovely.

Every other channel works but PS Vue which starts to load then gives me:

Status:-7. Reason: Failed to connect to epg-service.totsukotv port 443: Connection timed out

Nothing wrong with my network. PS Vue support had me restart my device last night - weird series of button pushes on remote - and it worked. Not now. # of reboots and same error.

Anyone out there with a clue?

Frustrated Mike

fluke

Re: PS Vue is only channel not playing - error code

Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:14 am

Do you have any other device like a smart phone or PS4 to try using Vue on?

I am curious to know if the problem only exists on the Roku or also comes up on other devices.

If you can recreate the problem on other devices, you really should be contacting Vue support.

If the problem is specific to the Roku, then you may need to work with Roku support on how it performs DNS lookups.

Btw, the host address in the error should be epg-service.totsuko.tv with two periods, not epg-service.totsukotv with one period.  It may seem like I am just being pedantic but for the purpose of troubleshooting any DNS related issues this is something you want to get right when troubleshooting.

DBDukes

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:41 am

mrmikeob wrote:
Have purple streaming stick, which means no phone support - lovely.

Every other channel works but PS Vue which starts to load then gives me:

Status:-7. Reason: Failed to connect to epg-service.totsukotv port 443: Connection timed out

Nothing wrong with my network. PS Vue support had me restart my device last night - weird series of button pushes on remote - and it worked. Not now. # of reboots and same error.

Anyone out there with a clue?

Frustrated Mike

fluke wrote:
Btw, the host address in the error should be epg-service.totsuko.tv with two periods, not epg-service.totsukotv with one period.  It may seem like I am just being pedantic but for the purpose of troubleshooting any DNS related issues this is something you want to get right when troubleshooting.

Doesn't the Roku use the DNS from the local network? If so, perhaps recording it, changing it to Google DNS, OpenDNS, or some other might resolve it. If not, it could be put back to what was there before. That would at least eliminate that question (unless you're certain otherwise) and perhaps resolve the issue.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

fluke

Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:03 pm

DBDukes wrote:
Doesn't the Roku use the DNS from the local network? If so, perhaps recording it, changing it to Google DNS, OpenDNS, or some other might resolve it. If not, it could be put back to what was there before. That would at least eliminate that question (unless you're certain otherwise) and perhaps resolve the issue.

I think Roku OS is hard coded to use Google's DNS servers instead of trusting the ones specified by DHCP/local network.

DBDukes

Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:17 pm

fluke wrote:
DBDukes wrote:

I think Roku OS is hard coded to use Google's DNS servers instead of trusting the ones specified by DHCP/local network.

I understood that with OS 5.4, Roku app developers were able to hard code DNS into the app. I also understand that Netflix coded Google DNS into the app, but I wasn't aware of others. Of course, I could be wrong, or have outdated information, regarding that. I was under the impression that, if the app doesn't hard-code DNS settings, it would use your router's settings. Like I said, I could be wrong.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)