Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

MattFromPhilly
Topic Author

Roku 3 Netflix app errors - possibly since OS 9 update?

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:57 am

Since last weekend (Jan. 26, 2019 or so), Netflix is unusable on my Roku 3 (4200). When I start watching something, it plays for a bit then stops to re-buffer (showing percentages) and then after a bit displays error "tvq-pm-100 (3.1.18)" with message "We're having trouble playing this title right now." I cannot figure out how to fix it.

Roku 3 (4200) showing OS is 9.0.0 build 4114-04
Connected via Ethernet cable directly to router.

I have tried all the troubleshooting I can think of. Restarted my home router (Verizon FIOS), restart Roku, uninstall Netflix app and reinstall app. At this point I have done a full factory reset of the Roku twice and started from scratch. No difference. I see no problems logged in my router's firewall log.

Streaming Netflix on my computer has no problem. Installed the Netflix app on my Playstation 4 (on the same network) and watched all night with no problem. Other apps on the Roku like Amazon Prime work with no issues. Seems like the issue is only the Netflix app on the Roku 3.

Everything has been working perfectly until a week ago (about January 26, 2019). Does that match the date of the push out of Roku OS 9? I was not monitoring what OS I was running and when updates happened so I have no idea if the OS updated right before this problem started. That's the only theory I have as to why this suddenly started happening.

Thanks.

DBDukes

Re: Roku 3 Netflix app errors - possibly since OS 9 update?

Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:19 am

MattFromPhilly wrote:
Since last weekend (Jan. 26, 2019 or so), Netflix is unusable on my Roku 3 (4200). When I start watching something, it plays for a bit then stops to re-buffer (showing percentages) and then after a bit displays error "tvq-pm-100 (3.1.18)" with message "We're having trouble playing this title right now." I cannot figure out how to fix it.

Roku 3 (4200) showing OS is 9.0.0 build 4114-04
Connected via Ethernet cable directly to router.

I have tried all the troubleshooting I can think of. Restarted my home router (Verizon FIOS), restart Roku, uninstall Netflix app and reinstall app. At this point I have done a full factory reset of the Roku twice and started from scratch. No difference. I see no problems logged in my router's firewall log.

Streaming Netflix on my computer has no problem. Installed the Netflix app on my Playstation 4 (on the same network) and watched all night with no problem. Other apps on the Roku like Amazon Prime work with no issues. Seems like the issue is only the Netflix app on the Roku 3.

Everything has been working perfectly until a week ago (about January 26, 2019). Does that match the date of the push out of Roku OS 9? I was not monitoring what OS I was running and when updates happened so I have no idea if the OS updated right before this problem started. That's the only theory I have as to why this suddenly started happening.

Thanks.

Everything you've done seems in order. Well, actually a remove/reinstall should be remove, reboot, reinstall, in order to clear out any corrupt data remaining within the app. But, a factory reset should have accomplished the same thing, so we'll bypass that point. Just mentioning it if future troubleshooting is ever necessary.

OS 9 for Roku 3 came out last year. That is, it began rolling out last year, and should have completed by the end of December. Roku TVs are still getting the rollout, but your Roku box, of which I have the same, should have received the update from 8.1 to 9 late last year.

There was a build push, to build 4114, in mid-January, but you should have had that update prior to 26 Jan. I received mine on 21 Jan, so it is possible you didn't get build 4114 until 26 Jan.

However, Netflix has been working on my Roku 2 (model 4210), which is identical to model 4200. The 4210 and 4200 differ only in what was included in the cardboard box. 4210 had an IR remote, while 4200 had the WiFi Direct remote. The physical Roku devices have the very same components. When I say they're the same, I don't mean they're close. I mean they are the same. The plastic cover has a "2" on it, but inside the cover, again, the same. I do have a Roku 3 (4200) at another location, but it's a few hours away, so I can't check it to confirm it's also without issue.

One thing to check is your DNS settings on your home network. Record them, if you make a change while troubleshooting, so you can put them back.

If you're using Verizon's DNS settings (possible 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) you might want to change to Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), CloudFlare (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1) or some other. If that resolves it, you may find you want to keep those settings. Just hold on to the original information.

Apart from that, I got nuthin'
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

jontalk

Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:39 am

Have you tried going into Advanced Settings and clicking the update Network button? I was having problems with HBO some months ago after the first OS9 release and updating the network connection solved it.
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

MattFromPhilly
Topic Author

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:07 am

I haven't tried changing the DSN server that the whole network uses yet. I guess I could try that.

I have changed the network from wired to wireless and back again. Nothing so far has caused any change.

Thanks for the suggestions.

mmachian

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:57 pm

I've had this error for months.  I tried all the above steps and called netflix last month and was told their engineers had it as a 'known issue' and they were working on it.
When I saw Roku update for the netflix channel i tried all the steps again and it will still do it.  I had problems with netflix a couple years ago too (different problems). It never seems to affect hulu, prime or the MLB app. At this point i'm thinking of getting a new device, but with all the problems I've had I'm thinking of an amazon one sadly. 

Will try and catch their help chat when its active, but one does get tired of trying. 

MattFromPhilly
Topic Author

Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:31 am

Thanks. It's comforting I guess that I am not the only one. Maybe that means it is not that my device is actually broken at least. It does seem like when I search for this or similar problems, I only find people with the Roku 3 who have the issue. Which Roku model do you have?

I haven't contacted either Roku or Netflix directly yet. I have a feeling either will just point the finger at the other. There is a support article on Netflix for the error code. Says to try all of the above and then if that doesn't work, contact your internet provider because there is a network problem. There's no way Verizon will know how to fix my Roku box not being able to stream Netflix. Has to be a problem with the Netflix app, and possibly only on certain models. For now I have the Netflix app installed on my PlayStation 4 and have to watch it on there. Never have the issue on that hardware.