Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

baxio
Topic Author

Issue playing audio from USB Roku Media Player

Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:01 pm

Hi,

I have a Roku 2 box which developed a problem early December when playing a folder of AUDIO files in Roku media player, part way through playing a song a message pops up that says:

"Audio playback failed.

The file contains no video tracks"

It finishes the song and won't play the next until you acknowledge the error, and it does this on every song so I can't leave music playing in the background without having to press OK all the time. 

I believe a recent software update caused the error. I bought a second Roku 2 and it updated to the latest software and does the same thing.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app and factory reset the Roku box but the error persists. Roku support seem to be working off a script and asking me the same 3 questions on repeat.

Please help!!!

Dan

https://www.dropbox.com/s/13r4r0qx1ub30 ... o.jpg?dl=0

RokuTannerD

Re: Issue playing audio from USB Roku Media Player

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:31 am

Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear about the issue you're seeing. Could you please provide some additional details so we can take a closer look?

- What file format are the tracks you are trying to play? 
- Does the same issue occur on audio tracks encoded in a different format? 
- If you create a new folder and move the tracks into it, does the same issue occur? 
- What source are the audio tracks stored on? (USB drive, network drive, etc.) 

With more information, we can look into this further to see what may be causing the issue. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

atc98092

Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 am

There's more than one model Roku 2, so we need to know specifically the model number of your player. But even newest version of a Roku 2 is years old, so if you bought a new one it's not "new". The last Roku 2 (model 4210) was introduced in April 2015, but the older versions go all the way back to 2011. 
Most importantly is finding out what audio codec is in use, and what the container is. The container is the 3 alphanumeric characters at the end of the file (.MP3, .WMA, .MKV, etc.) Roku supports a number of containers, but not all. The audio codec is even more important, as again there are only certain ones that Roku supports. A program like MediaInfo can show the codec information easily. There's a way to do it with FFMPG from the command line if you're comfortable with that. 
Have you selected Audio in the RMP main selection window when you first start it (this is in reference to the message about no video tracks)?
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

baxio
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:19 am

RokuTannerDB wrote:
Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear about the issue you're seeing. Could you please provide some additional details so we can take a closer look?

- What file format are the tracks you are trying to play? 
- Does the same issue occur on audio tracks encoded in a different format? 
- If you create a new folder and move the tracks into it, does the same issue occur? 
- What source are the audio tracks stored on? (USB drive, network drive, etc.) 

With more information, we can look into this further to see what may be causing the issue. 

Thanks,
Tanner

-A mixture of WMA and MP3 files. The issue happens on both
-I have the files in a number of folders, and it happens regardless of which folder it is in
- This is files stored on a USB stick
Thanks,
Dan

baxio
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:30 am

atc98092 wrote:
There's more than one model Roku 2, so we need to know specifically the model number of your player. But even newest version of a Roku 2 is years old, so if you bought a new one it's not "new". The last Roku 2 (model 4210) was introduced in April 2015, but the older versions go all the way back to 2011. 
Most importantly is finding out what audio codec is in use, and what the container is. The container is the 3 alphanumeric characters at the end of the file (.MP3, .WMA, .MKV, etc.) Roku supports a number of containers, but not all. The audio codec is even more important, as again there are only certain ones that Roku supports. A program like MediaInfo can show the codec information easily. There's a way to do it with FFMPG from the command line if you're comfortable with that. 
Have you selected Audio in the RMP main selection window when you first start it (this is in reference to the message about no video tracks)?

It's a Roku 2 (UK) - 4205EU, software version 9.0.0 build 4114-04
Yes, I am using the audio option in the Roku Media Player option. It worked with the same files for months up until some point in December, where I suspect a software update broke it.
Dan

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:48 pm

Does it always happen with the same files on the USB drive?
And in the same place? If so can you isolate at least one of the files so that we can examine it?

baxio
Topic Author

Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:11 pm

RokuDale wrote:
Does it always happen with the same files on the USB drive?
And in the same place? If so can you isolate at least one of the files so that we can examine it?

It happens with any of my music files. The error pops up at some point during the song, it does vary. It then won't play the next song until you acknowledge the error message.
Do you want me to upload a file to Dropbox so you can examine it?

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:34 pm

I suspect the wma files are triggering the problem. The wma file will play, but before it ends, a error dialog will come up, stating "no video tracks".
If you create a directory of just mp3 files, I suspect they will all play back fine.
If you create a directory with one of the wma files. I suspect it will have an error during playback.

baxio
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:06 pm

RokuDale wrote:
I suspect the wma files are triggering the problem. The wma file will play, but before it ends, a error dialog will come up, stating "no video tracks".
If you create a directory of just mp3 files, I suspect they will all play back fine.
If you create a directory with one of the wma files. I suspect it will have an error during playback.

No, it does the same on both MP3 and WMA albums.
The same files were playing fine in November last year, then it seems one of the software updates in December has caused the issue

makaiguy

Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:13 pm

RokuDale wrote:
I suspect the wma files are triggering the problem. The wma file will play, but before it ends, a error dialog will come up, stating "no video tracks"..

I am seeing this with wma files which used to play without error.  When I convert them to mp3 they run without error.  Most of my audio files are mp3s, but I have some wmas scattered in dozens of folders so finding them to convert them is a time consuming pain in the nether regions.
Ver 9.0.0. Build 4142
RMP Ver 4.1, build 1609
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100

RogerALB

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:12 pm

I am having the exact same problems that baxio describes with the exception that the error message pops up at the end of a song. I have updated the software for my Roku 2 and done all the other gyrations, but no change.

Interestingly, I also have a Roku Ultra and the same files work perfectly there.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:36 pm

If you are having a problem of playing mp3 files from USB with RMP we will need to get a copy of the file to investigate. Please isolate just one file that has the problem in a folder and verify that it fails. If you have mediainfo available please post the results here. Send a pm to me with your email address and I'l invite you to our box folder where you can upload the mp3 file.
thanks
dale

RogerALB

Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:05 am

Well, I checked the USB drive and the files are all WMA.

baxio
Topic Author

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:27 pm

RokuDale wrote:
If you are having a problem of playing mp3 files from USB with RMP we will need to get a copy of the file to investigate. Please isolate just one file that has the problem in a folder and verify that it fails. If you have mediainfo available please post the results here. Send a pm to me with your email address and I'l invite you to our box folder where you can upload the mp3 file.
thanks
dale

Have PM'd you

nelsonsollen

Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:20 am

I am having this same problem.  I have two Roku 3 devices, and use a USB HDD on the one Roku 3 at our summer house where we do not have Internet access for streaming 8 months per year, so I use the local HDD over USB.  So I did not notice this problem until yesterday during a visit to our summer home,   There was no problem a few months ago, and there was also no problem about 18 months ago with the HDD on my other Roku 3 where I set the HDD up,  So a recent update seems likely as causing this problem.

The problem appears to be worked around by using WAV format for the music files.   Of course that means the storage is about 10x what is needed for AAC, MP3, WMA,....
Since I am using a 4T HDD, this is not too bad except for the need to convert all the music files.  Please do not break WAV formatted files!!
I had problems with at least WMA and MP3 files.

I bought the Roku 3 especially for its USB HDD support along with Netflix, Prime,.... because I want to use it sometimes with local only media, so fixing this is a priority.

The home device is 4200x-Roku3, serial # 1GN38A163811.  The installed software is 9.0.0  build 4142-04.
Again, this used to work, no problem, with the exact HDD image.  Nothing has changed on the HDD (no erasures and no new files when this happened).
I did not write down the serial number on my other Roku 3 at my summer home, but I bought it 2 to 3 years ago, and the installed/updated software is the same.

After I found this problem on the Roku 3 device at my summer home, I brought the HDD home and tried it on my other Roku 3.  I noticed this time that the device played OK for the first 3 or 4 songs, and then the problem was duplicated.  Songs will start playing OK, but at the end of each song it stops and I get the error message as discussed by the other commenters.

So, this problem seems to affect compressed music and has some intermittent behavior and it duplicated on 2 similar devices for me.
Sounds like possibly an uninitialized variable or a corrupted variable or maybe some corruption caused by decoding routines or a mismatch between variables or stack problems.
Seems like the file access, PCM rendering processes and general system processes should be fine since WAV files play fine.
I wonder if the older devices are weak on memory compared to the newer devices and perhaps there is some kind of memory overrun in older devices?
It may be nontrivial to duplicate and isolate if it depends on the state of volatile memories at power up.  Modern code and code tools are supposed to eliminate such problems or at least flag such situations.  You might try a few different devices as well as power ON/OFF between tests.  It would be useful to know if you can duplicate this problem on a Roku 2 or Roku 3.

An option to restore/return to older versions of software (even if a bit laborious) would seem quite useful both for customers and to permit customers to provide you with clear results between versions of the software for obscure bugs.  Many companies provide such options (Microsoft for example)..

Thanks & regards,